SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Pool Vac Sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Pool Vac Sucks Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Pentair Racer LS, barely over a year old.
Whip tail has gotten multiple small punctures, had to sew new velcro on the collection bag, whip tail will no longer stay attached to the body, constantly gets stuck against the wall & has to be moved, pretty much never runs across the center of the pool.

Looks like the body attachment for the tail lost the retention 'nub' so it just falls off.

Pretty sure both drive wheels are supposed to be 'powered', but only 1 functions.

The 'football' that's supposed to reposition it just coils up the hose & gets it stuck.

Pool has been great overall, but this has been the most disappointing part of it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get a polaris, its like the Dillon of pool cleaners

NRA Life Member

Posts: 247 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Polaris from a long time inground pool owner. Mine is a Polaris 360.

Posts: 231 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, may try a rebuild kit on this one first before dropping $$$ for a replacement

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
18 years now, straight for me. Polaris, the 280. Ask Leslies staff, pool equipment techs, they all say the same thing, 280. It’s the simplest solution so if you need a bearing, a new wheel, whatever, Leslies will fix it on the spot. No labor, just replacement part cost.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Polaris

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Add it to the list.
The wall port adapter blew out yesterday.

Went out to grill some steaks & heard the booster pump louder than usual. Found the hose on the floor of the pool.
Killed the booster & found this:

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
To echo others we have a Polaris and it simply works.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
I finally got fed up with suction cleaners for the reasons you're discussing. Filter dirty=low suction, wheel rubber came off=no movement or movement in circle, bad gear=no movement, and on and on and on.

I broke down and bought a robotic cleaner about a yr ago and WOW! I should have done it 15yrs ago. It has it's own power and basket, never gets stuck, never loses power and get all the silt out, not just big leaves or larger dirt particles. It does the waterline, scrubs the floor and walls, steps and sitting areas.

My pool filter stays clean now too. I don't have to keep opening it and cleaning it and the pump basket then re-starting the whole system and cleaning the cleaner too. The process is one step now...drop robot in and walk away.

Expensive BUT worth it for sure!

Doplhin brand

https://www.amazon.com/Dolphin...a4-a376-9d8efb903409

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 624 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've seen those 'Roomba' style pool cleaners.
Tempting, but can't justify the cost right now.

Emailed my pool builder about the failed pressure port adapter, barely over a year old, hoping they'll just warranty it, and maybe the tune up kit for the Racer.

The non-LS Racer has a scrub brush on the front that likely would at least help motivate it from being stuck against the wall.
Not sure if the LS can be retrofit to add the scrubber.

Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
The robotic cleaners are really slick - I got the Aiper Scuba S1.
Drop it in, let it work for a few hours, fish it out, empty the basket and recharge it.
Very happy with it.

-Scott

-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 917 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've seen those 'Roomba' style pool cleaners.
Tempting, but can't justify the cost right now.

Emailed my pool builder about the failed pressure port adapter, barely over a year old, hoping they'll just warranty it, and maybe the tune up kit for the Racer.

The non-LS Racer has a scrub brush on the front that likely would at least help motivate it from being stuck against the wall.
Not sure if the LS can be retrofit to add the scrubber.

Don't waste your money on those battery powered ones. They don't operate anywhere near their advertised timeframes. You'll be lucky if it moves for 15-20 min. I have tried just about every brand and type over the last decade and the only one that has lived up to the task has been the robotic one I have now and listed above. You may be more successful than me with the Polaris one mentioned by others. I had it and it just got stuck, clogged or needed a motor, belt or rubber for wheels or the wall pressure nozzle like the one you show busted--that thing stopped it from working when the pool filter was a little dirty because it didn't have enough pressure.
Good Luck

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 624 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I at least have a separate booster pump for the vac, so filter pressure has no effect there.
Friend of mine at our old house put a pool in & he got some sort of robotic cleaner, had a super insulated cord that was left plugged in while it was running.

Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
I at least have a separate booster pump for the vac, so filter pressure has no effect there.
Friend of mine at our old house put a pool in & he got some sort of robotic cleaner, had a super insulated cord that was left plugged in while it was running.

That's exactly what I gave you the link for above...IT WORKS VERY VERY WELL!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
quote:

Not as bad as I was expecting on price. And for how much constant pine tree debris is always in the pool, not bad.
Does it allow you to set a no-go area? I have a beach entry, so I'd be worried about it 'escaping' the pool.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've had several over the 30 + years of pool ownership, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac G3, Zodiac MX series.

Of these three the G3 has the least moving parts, basically a vibrating suction tube that causes it to move around. The Hayward Navigators have a lot more moving parts, but seem to do a much better job of cleaning once setup. the MX6 are expensive high maintenance cleaners.

After several different tries we ended back with the Hayward Navigator, it's $399, and if you watch they have sales/rebates on them, simple to setup, simple to maintain.

The Dolphin electric looks interesting will have to consider it when the Hayward gets to the point that the parts to fix it out cost a new unit.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Should at least be operable soon. Getting the port adapter replaced under warranty.

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Polaris fanboy here. Been using them for about 25 yrs now.

Posts: 5341 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not as bad as I was expecting on price. And for how much constant pine tree debris is always in the pool, not bad.
Does it allow you to set a no-go area? I have a beach entry, so I'd be worried about it 'escaping' the pool.

It won't walk out of the pool. It needs water to function. When it gets to the point that the intake that is on top is out of the water it will turn around before escaping.

You can find the one I sent above without the WIFI for $100 less. I like it because it is simple. It has 3 choices 1x per day, 1x every 3 days or 1x every 5days. I have it set to operate 1x per day. It comes on at the same time and cleans everything in a way I could never do even with the pool brush pushing the silt to the main drain I could never get waht it gets out of the pool. I have an open pool with palms and oaks behind in. The pool is pristine 24/7 with this robot. I just dump the filter baskets 1x per week.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It won't walk out of the pool. It needs water to function. When it gets to the point that the intake that is on top is out of the water it will turn around before escaping.

You can find the one I sent above without the WIFI for $100 less. I like it because it is simple. It has 3 choices 1x per day, 1x every 3 days or 1x every 5days. I have it set to operate 1x per day. It comes on at the same time and cleans everything in a way I could never do even with the pool brush pushing the silt to the main drain I could never get waht it gets out of the pool. I have an open pool with palms and oaks behind in. The pool is pristine 24/7 with this robot. I just dump the filter baskets 1x per week.

Thanks, would be curious if it integrates with any smart pool apps. Mine is set up with Pentair Screenlogic.

Do you leave it in the pool all the time, or do you 'toss' it in when you need it to run?