SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The price of Postage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of Postage Login/Join 
posted
Before I retired, I'd buy stamps every few weeks.....but since then it's been months before my wife and I would need to make the trip to the post office and drop a few bucks. Well yesterday the time to do so. $68.00 bucks!!! for roll of stamps!!! I almost S#i%%!! and the postmaster told me hang on because they were going up to $75.00 a roll in a couple of weeks. Can you believe that???? 75CENTS for a first class stamp!!! I know I'm a old fart but I can remember when could mail a letter for 16cents!!! and maybe even less............and get a hell of lot better service.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 731 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
You think US Postage is expensive, try mailing a letter in Britain. UK£1 = US$1.27

https://www.mymailingroom.com/rm-prices

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2789 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There really are very few reasons in 2024 to be mailing anything through snailmail like this. Maybe start using online more?

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Ah the good old days.

Posts: 3266 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Is USPS still a chronic money-loser?

I figure it could reduce its costs significantly by stopping Saturday delivery. Even if USPS continued to pay the carriers for that day, the annual savings on fuel and vehicle maintenance ought to be "yuge." Think about it: What comes to your box by USPS that really HAS to be there on Saturday?

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I'm a old fart but I can remember when could mail a letter for 16cents!!!

You are not old. I remember 3 Cent stamps.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4328 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

I remember 3 Cent stamps.
Penny postcards

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's annoying, but in reality, I used so few stamps these days that I can't get too worked up over it. I usually buy a sheet of stamps (I think maybe 115-20 stamps? and it'll last a year or more.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3526 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
I know I'm a old fart but I can remember when could mail a letter for 16cents!!!

You are not old. I remember 3 Cent stamps.

I must be in between - the cheapest stamps I remember are 4 cents.
The only thing I mail these days are my property tax payments.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well they have to keep the conveyor belts running in Palmetto, Ga.

How else can they afford to hold the same package for two weeks?

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't much care either. I use maybe one of those books a year, two at most. Almost everything is electronic now.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. I agree. But on the other hand, I wouldn't walk it out to your mailbox for $.75, let along take it cross country. Wink

No worries, Amazon mail should be along any time.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
There really are very few reasons in 2024 to be mailing anything through snailmail like this. Maybe start using online more?

Pretty much this.

I use less than 1 stamp per year on average. Mostly for stuff like mailing back FFL renewal forms, since there's not an online way to do that yet. (Right about the only time I write checks any more as well... The ATF is firmly stuck in the 1990s.)

I still have a couple sheets of the "forever" Batman stamps the USPS was offering back in 2014, with only a few stamps used so far. These 35 or so remaining Batman stamps are easily going to last me the rest of my life.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not sure what it would save, they should reorganize & deliver every other day. There may be options to encourage P.O. Boxes for some.

Seems it’s time to think outside the bun, lots of expense delivering that junk mail.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the only one I know that purchased 15 years worth of Forever stamps when they first came out.

Little did I know, I took inventory and it seems that I purchased 20 years worth.
Big Grin

Oh well, now I have something to put in a will / trust.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess I don't understand. I think I still have some of the same forever stamps I bought when they first came out.

And I guess when I think about it it's not really too bad. I can barely get out of my neighborhood without spending $.75 on gas these days. The post office gets a lot of shit, but they also provide a a really incredible service.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I went and bought some more forever stamps a few days ago and was told they're going up again. Like others have said, I can't get too worked up about it. $30 to send a package to San Antonio seems a little steep, but maybe it's not on a per-unit-weight basis.

About the only things I send by snail mail anymore are birthday and Christmas cards. All my bills are paid electronically, and most of them come to me electronically too. There are some outliers though. I make monthly donations to a couple of charities; those are done electronically by auto-pay so no statements are necessary, but they both insist on sending me a paper statement every month (usually accompanied by a request for an "extra, emergency" donation). And of course I always receive a shit ton of junk mail, especially during election years.

Here's an idea to help reduce USPS's cost: Eliminate the bulk rates that junk mail senders get. It would either increase the per-envelope revenue for USPS, or decrease the volume of crap that we all get. Maybe both.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Is USPS still a chronic money-loser?

Yes. We bring in less than we're spending. Thank the union for that. They totally hamstring management while lazy carriers get away with murder and get paid overtime doing so.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18088 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two kids get married in two months. The wife has been burning through my 50 cent forever stamp board like she is burning them.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still old school and pay all of my bills with a check and a stamp. I am comfortable with doing it.

Posts: 6701 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post