SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The price of Postage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of Postage Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
As others have opined, to complain that a company will take your mail anywhere for $0.68 is head shaking. Really?

https://about.usps.com/who/pro...rates-since-1863.htm

The above list does not show 16 cents. Using 18 cents, and adjusting for inflation from 1981, we see from this site the postage cost is about the same, at 64 cents.

https://www.amortization.org/i...justed-for-inflation

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5190 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Yup. If anyone thinks the post office is gouging, then try seeing what the privateers (UPS, FedEx) would charge to do the same sort of thing. 68 or 75 pennies won't seem quite so expensive. And they can eff it up just as effectively as USPS.

Sure an unexpected hit of $68 can be a big splash of cold water to the face, but considering what just about everything else costs these days compared to yesteryear it's just not something that I can get all that worked up over.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the post office. The stamps are less than a dollar and I get a physical stamp. The ATF charges me $200 and I don’t even get a real stamp anymore, just the electronic ones!! Frown

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The price goes up tomorrow. I went and bought two books today, I'm likely covered for several years.

As far as the check and stamp payment method, cool if that's what you prefer. It's actually less secure than electronic payment because the paper is exposed for several days in the mail. Upon receipt, most institutions scan them in electronically anyway.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
All the complaining we (myself included) do about the USPS should be tempered with the fact that you can't even take a letter across town, let alone across the country, yourself for 68 cents.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Sure an unexpected hit of $68 can be a big splash of cold water to the face, but considering what just about everything else costs these days compared to yesteryear it's just not something that I can get all that worked up over.

I get a bit peeved when my PO box rent goes up just about every six months.
Am I getting a bigger box? Better service? Nope... just an ever-increasing cost for the same ol' box and service.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Do NOT buy any of the Forever stamps that are sold on-line. They are counterfeit!!!

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Seems like I can remember 1ct (penny) generic postcards. ....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2076 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the envelope with my birth certificate from 1960.. 4 cents
I feel like 4 cents.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Do NOT buy any of the Forever stamps that are sold on-line. They are counterfeit!!!

True.....They are all over Facebook. But even the post office can't tell the difference.

Posts: 181 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I bought stamps here at a discount.

https://www.facebook.com/Purchaseuspostagestamp

Posts: 181 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post