SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm Done Trying To Save These %!#$!! Teeth!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Done Trying To Save These %!#$!! Teeth! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Had a molar going south on me. Wanted to save it if at all possible, as I've so few functional teeth left. Endodontist was confident the tooth could be saved. Root canal ended-up being very, very difficult. (Took two long sessions.) Got it crowned. Experience made me cautious, so I waited a half year before getting the partial that relied on that tooth for an anchor replaced. Finally had that done in March.

The pain started back up again day-before-yesterday. Tried irrigating the gum line and took some ibuprofen. Seemed to work. Then it didn't.

So today I'm back on my reserve stash of (legally prescribed--for a previous, similar problem) hydrocodone/acetaminophen so I can, hopefully, eat over the weekend.

This is about the third time in the last five years I've taken extreme measures to save a tooth, at great expense, only to ultimately have the fracking thing extracted in less than a year. Now I'll also have to have my brand new partial rebuilt or replaced, again, as well

Enough is enough. From now on, when a tooth gives me trouble, out it goes. I'm not looking forward to more false teeth--the partial I have is annoying enough as it is, but I'm no longer throwing good money after bad.

(At least this pain-killer kicks-in fast Smile.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Are implants an option for you. I have five & I'm well satisfied.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Are implants an option for you.

At $2,000 to $4,000 each: Nope.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash went through the same thing with root cans on 3 different teeth using 3 different dentists.

Now she's with you, no more root canals and no implants either, but I'm pretty sure she'll never need them either.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Mine was $6200. For one tooth.

Extraction and post (no anesthesia other than local) took a grand total of 20 minutes out the door. $4200. Then another $2K for the tooth.

Now, as a medical professional, I have no issue whatsoever paying someone for their education, responsibility, and experience...within reason. But $4200 for 20 minutes of work that they used to do in back of a barber shop with a shot of whiskey and a pair of pliers is fucking robbery. And of course, insurance doesn't cover any of it. All cash. I won't be doing that again.

My buddy had one done in Mexico. $1500 for everything by an American DDS. Head south young man.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My buddy had one done in Mexico. $1500 for everything by an American DDS. Head south young man.

A friend's wife had a mouthful of bad teeth and wanted implants but couldn't afford the US or Mexico prices.

She went to India, paid $24K and got all of them, top and bottom, done.

I thought she was nuts, but what do I know?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right there with you, both on too many bad teeth and too many dollars per tooth. I have a couple partial bridges that are barely hanging on and, even with those, a minimum number of teeth left to chew somewhat effectively. If it all goes south -- likely -- I guess it'll be dentures.

One of my doctors recently mentioned having extensive implant work done. I asked how much did that cost. $60,000.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

One of my brothers-in-law had four of them installed, with rails (whatever those are). €800 (~ $960) ea.

My wife was once an assistant for one of the top dentists in Netherlands. She finds the level of dental care and its costs here in the U.S. appalling.

As for Mexico: You couldn't get me into that country, right now, without hog-tying me.

Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
I am so Blessed as a 100% disabled vet they have a Program in Detroit At the VA Center They Intern Students in Implant procedures. 11 new inplants and full set of teeth.Caused by Medication causing extreme dry mouth. They had tried deep scale planing surgery just couldn't save originals. What a Blessing I can only imagine what these would cost. My cost0$

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry about all your dental problems. I've had my share as well. Spend a fortune on a tooth only to have to have it pulled six months later. The last one was an anchor for a bridge (lower, front) so I lost the whole damn thing. I had what few teeth left pulled and had to go to lower denture.

Next year I will have two implants installed to secure a new denture for the lower to the tune of $7000. Thats a bunch of money but still cheaper than replacing bridges, crowns and having root canals that I have been doing for the last few years.

Hang in there.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Man I need one done, the plane ticket would 100% be justified. Here they are $5k plus the extraction.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dentures are not cheap and come with a host of problems. All on four with a permanent denture is not cheap but it is as close to having real teeth. Four implants anchor the denture. Oral surgeons generally do this procedure and have payment plans available. BTW I am not a fan of dental tourism.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with you as well. I have most of the root canals fail on my rear molars, top and bottom. I have also had issues with certain metals and that is part of the reason for my root canals/crown failures.

I have had a few implants done and they aren't cheap by any means. My mother-in-law is getting the "all on four" and her dentist only charged her $6200 for the bottom,which is not a bad price considering how much I have invested in only 2 implants and a 4 tooth bridge. Me, I have issues with a canine that was ground down, for a canti-lever,to secure the bridge. My dentist thinks the problem is not with the canine but with a took next to it. Another dentist in his office begs to differ and states I am right as the tooth was ground down and the nerve/root is very close to the surface which can cause my pain. Now I am off to the endodontist for another opinion.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Struggled with dental issues for many years. More hours in the chair than I care to remember. More money than I wish to think about.

Age 70, I am now two months into the new life with dentures. Tough transition, for sure, and there were a couple of weeks during which I was not sure I could live with it, but the decision is not one that can be undone.

Now I am quite comfortable and eating anything I want. In about a month I will get my permanent dentures, which are an upgrade over the temporary "healing" denture provided right after removal of my few remaining teeth (all of which were causing me discomfort daily).

For what it may be worth.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 implants for me.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You might want to edit your thread title.
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles. And that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r".

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8191014801

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
BTW I am not a fan of dental tourism.

Be that as it may: I can fly to Netherlands on an extended vacation and get the same work done less expensively than getting it done here--plane tickets and all.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You might want to edit your thread title.
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles. And that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r".

Yes, but notice that his examples are those of the words meant being obfuscated, but their meaning remaining obvious. What I wrote is a purely random character string.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but notice that his examples are those of the words meant being obfuscated, but their meaning remaining obvious. What I wrote is a purely random character string.
Reminds me of the story about the guy who went to a shrink.

The doc showed him an ink blot and asked the patient what he saw.

"Two people doing it."

Another ink blot and the patient said "That one is a threesome."

One more ink blot, the patient said "It's a damn orgy!"

The shrink said, "It seems that you are obsessed by sex."

The patient replied, "Look doc, you're the one who's showing me the dirty pictures."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be that as it may: I can fly to Netherlands on an extended vacation and get the same work done less expensively than getting it done here--plane tickets and all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And perhaps make another trip for followups. If there are problems you can bet your local dentist is probably not inclined to see you. I have known of people who have flown to India{preCovid} for inexpensive hip replacments. No local doc will see them for issues.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW if it comes to extraction or another procedure. Do not do an Apicoectomy and Retrofill. Costly and it only gave me another year on the tooth. BTW is was a lot more painful than any other dental procedure I had.