SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm Done Trying To Save These %!#$!! Teeth!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Done Trying To Save These %!#$!! Teeth! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In 1976 I got hit with the big end of a pool stick while stationed in Germany. The Dentist (Military) that I went and saw told me I would loose all my upper teeth eventually. I trusted Petes' words , he was a guy I played Golf with. This year the last 4 had to come out and now I am going through the denture/surgery healing. I will be in the finals in October and will then pursue the VA for implants (60%) but needed to get it done sooner than later so went outside the VA to get relief as my left canine broke and my bridge came loose.
Funny thing is , before the stick I had never had a cavity and my teeth were movie star straight. I still haven't gotten a cavity on the lowers, but the uppers went to heck !

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm soooo lucky!!! Been going to the same dentist for over 40 years!! He doesn't do extractions or root canals anymore but does fillings and crowns. Just had a root canal (outsourced), and a crown. It only cost me about $600.00 out of pocket. I'm going to need one more crown next year when my new plan kicks in. I've already exceeded my yearly allowance. I floss and brush frequently. Some tooth loss is due to heredity, but I do think that alot has to do with poor maintenance, and not getting checkups. I think many of us take better care of our guns and cars than we do ourselves!! (Me included!!).

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...
The patient replied, "Look doc, you're the one who's showing me the dirty pictures."

I went to that shrink.
What a disappointment. All he showed me, were pictures of bananas and peaches...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43795 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had four friends that have done full mouth dental implants in Mexico that have had zero problems, and extremely happy with the results. I think the most any of them paid was $16K.

Posts: 7517 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I've had four friends that have done full mouth dental implants in Mexico that have had zero problems, and extremely happy with the results. I think the most any of them paid was $16K.

How does that work? Doesn't getting an implant require multiple visits over several months?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
How does that work? Doesn't getting an implant require multiple visits over several months?

It does if it's done right. Obviously some people take a chance on Mexico and it works out, but I have seen some absolutely horrendous stuff come back from there. I don't do implants so I'm not saying that because it costs me anything, just an observation.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a root canal that was done in 2007 fail last year. The small metal pin broke in my jaw.
Got it pulled and done with. While I was there, I had another tooth that was partially cracked from a fight so I had that one pulled also.
Not paying the steep price for implants and what's associated with it.
I feel ya.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Not sure since I haven't had the procedure. I do see that there are multiple dental clinics in the US that will give you a new smile in a day. My friends did have to return about 6 months later to get the "permanent" implants.

posted Hide Post
There are various levels of care. Most good care involves multiple visits to both the dentist and the oral surgeon. Impressions are needed to build the temporary denture etc.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do see that there are multiple dental clinics in the US that will give you a new smile in a day. My friends did have to return about 6 months later to get the "permanent" implants.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I remember the Earl Scheib commercials. Paint any car for 29.95. Paint flaked off two weeks later. You get what you pay for in Dentistry as well.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I do see that there are multiple dental clinics in the US that will give you a new smile in a day. My friends did have to return about 6 months later to get the "permanent" implants.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I remember the Earl Scheib commercials. Paint any car for 29.95. Paint flaked off two weeks later. You get what you pay for in Dentistry as well.

Ever found anyone with a bad experience with full mouth implants? I'm 7 for 7 friends with successes in the US (3) and Mexico (4). I have not personally met anyone with a failure. I know, anecdotal at best. Interested in if you're a skeptic or you actually have a reason to doubt. These are not 29.95 procedures my friend, they range from about 13K - 25K (Mexico) to 40K - 60K (US).

posted Hide Post
Yeah the cost here locally is full mouth is 52k. I refuse to skimp on health care. Dentistry was invented to prevent people from dying due to untreated abcesses in the mouth.

Besides infection, poorly placed implants will fail and you are then left with a mess. Other implant dentists in the States won't touch you with a ten foot pole.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yeah the cost here locally is full mouth is 52k. I refuse to skimp on health care. Dentistry was invented to prevent people from dying due to untreated abcesses in the mouth.

Besides infection, poorly placed implants will fail and you are then left with a mess. Other implant dentists in the States won't touch you with a ten foot pole.

So you don't know anyone that got fucked up by a Mexican dental procedure? My wife got a mouth infection from a blacksmith UPenn trained dentist putting in a god damn bridge. We're still in court four years later with that mother fucker. He wasn't Earl Scheib cheap either. If I saw that cock sucker passed out on the side walk I don't know whether I would 1) step over him or 2) take his wallet and step over him. I think you give US blacksmiths way too much credit. But back to the question, do you know of anyone that got fucked up by a Mexico dental procedure?

posted Hide Post
Sorry Ensigmatic, I hijacked your thread. Just trying to give you an option to dentures. I'm on the same path leading to where you're at now. I'm out

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Bytes, the typical American's view of the rest of the world is we're the pinnacle of civilization and everybody else is pretty much operating in the stone age

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes: But back to the question, do you know of anyone that got fucked up by a Mexico dental procedure?

I do, but I'm just one of those glorified US trained blacksmiths that's been at this for three decades. What do I know?

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]But back to the question, do you know of anyone that got fucked up by a Mexico dental procedure?

Sure do. If you read several posts above you will note that our resident Orthodontist has seen a few. When I lived in San Antonio, several friends had procedures that were unsuccesful. If you want to get all your dental care in third world countries it is up to you. Let's leave it at that.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That's nothing. I HAD just about perfect teeth.
I had good doctors and dentist while living in Santa Barbara. The dentist said my bite was a little off and we could fix it now (1976) or wait.

In 1977, I moved back to VA and only went to the dentist once a year while they wanted to see me every 6 months which I refused.

Then in 1989, the dental technician started grinding on my top teeth and I made her stop. At the time, I didn't realize that she was removing the enamel.

So I go to another dentist and he uses plastic filling to replace the missing enamel which only lasts about two or three years before it falls off. He says I am drinking too many soft drinks. I reply that I don't drink soft drinks. Also why is the enamel only missing on the top teeth and I get a deer in the headlights look.

So I haven't been to a dentist since 1992 and now have six teeth broken off at the gum level.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
That's nothing. I HAD just about perfect teeth.....

....Then in 1989, the dental technician started grinding on my top teeth and I made her stop. At the time, I didn't realize that she was removing the enamel.

The instruments that assistants and hygienists can legally use on patients are deliberately designed to be incapable of removing sound enamel.

1. How quickly did the Board of Dentistry suspend the licenses of the individual involved and the dentist?

2. How large was your settlement in the malpractice suit?

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I always had good teeth til I didn’t. I had 6-8 crowns at about 1K OOP per. I didn’t know they only last for 12-14 yrs. Now I know.
Started cracking teeth, even with a too late mouth guard.
Ended up loosing 5 teeth and Medicare Advantage dental care. Hardly worth the paper it’s written on.
Finally found out about Case Western Dental School. What a godsend. Reasonable extractions, cleanings and partial. They have done a very good job at a 1/4 of the price. The ‘Dentist’ are all last yr students supervised by a supervisor. It has turned out well. Lots of trips downtown but it has saved me many dollars. It’s an option for someone with no/Medicare Advantage coverage.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post