SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    3 Cubic Yards Of Topsoil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Cubic Yards Of Topsoil Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Is HEAVY Frown

I don’t have a driveway at my house, so I had 3 yards of topsoil, delivered and dumped in the street in front of it, and yesterday, pretty much all day I shoveled it into a wheelbarrow to various points around the yard that needed it, and did a full top dress of my front yard, I estimate it was about 40 full wheelbarrow trips.

I looked up how much that probably weighed and it was something around 4000 to 5000 pounds, yikes. It doesn’t look like THAT much until you start shoveling that stuff! Eek

My back hurts today and I’m a little sore. Getting old stinks! Big Grin

I really need to get one of those wheelbarrows that is much more stable with the two front wheels, that old one I have really is not great. Any suggestions on good brand/model?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have a Truper brand 2 wheel wheelbarrow, it’s 12 years old and I love it. If something happened I’d go buy another one. It’s so much more easier to use than a single.

This Looks like mine link but I got mine at Atwood’s.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PA, if you're just a little sore I think you did pretty good. And yes a cubic yard of pulverized topsoil weighs just less than a ton.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Didn’t know that. No wonder this summer was tiring. I moved 5 yards of soil and 25 yards of bark. Going up a slight slope of 15 feet high. The mound didn’t look that big. But it sure was tiring. I got the the two wheel gorilla wheelbarrow. Transport is easier but dumping is more effort.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GO...Cart-GCR-7/305093233

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
When you say wheelbarrow I think Kubota?

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Wheelbarrow.

4 wheel drive. Power steering. Automatic transmission. Air Conditioning.

No radio tho... Frown

(Hey, you KNEW I was gonna do it! Big Grin )

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

No radio
Needs Sirius.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Needs Sirius.

Way back in the stone age, when tractor cabs were pretty much unheard-of (and the ones that did exist were hot, noisy and hard to see out of) and Real Men just sucked it up, some farmers had radios mounted on the fender.

A significant percentage of farmers up until the late 60's and probably later were deaf as a post. If the muffler (assuming they even bothered with one) didn't get 'em that stupid AM radio on the fender did because you had to turn it up loud enough to hear half a county away to hear it over the machinery.

Dad always taught me that the first indication that something was going wrong was the sound and you best be listening for it. To this day the concept of a radio in a tractor or on a motorcycle plumb eludes me.

But then, even turning a nice-ish radio on in my car or truck is an exceedingly rare event.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Paul -- undoubtedly, you understand that I was joking. I don't do radio, either. I've had my current car for more than five years, it has a radio, but I don't think that I have turned the radio on even five times.

Motorcycles? I bought my first one back in 1954, when I was in USN guided missile school. Had a bunch since then, but never had one with a radio.

I never owned a tractor other than a really small one that was just used to tow the V-Tail between the hangar and the field farm, but I spend a lot of my yoof time on farms. I never drove, nor even saw, a tractor with a radio.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Rubbermaid two-wheel cart.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side: it wasn't gravel.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what two wheel brands are good but I drove a ready mix truck for 17 years. The only brands that took that kind of abuse for any length of time were Jackson’s or Sterlings. Of those two, the Sterling was the clear winner.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
When you say wheelbarrow I think Kubota?

Same here. We have had a dozen or so 17 ton loads of gravel/river rock/dirt delivered over the past 20 years. The FEL makes quick work of distributing it.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own anything but a two wheeler . It's a gamechanger .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
About two years ago I needed one cubic yard to level an area for a batting cage I was installing for my daughter. I was lucky enough to be able to pull the trailer to where I needed and shoveled it out of the trailer onto the ground and then spread it. And that was a lot of work. Three yards and a wheelbarrow? Yikes!

However, I do have the two wheeled wheelbarrow from Lowes. It is superior in nearly every single respect. The only downside I have found is if the ground slopes from left to right or right to left in relation to your direction of travel. With a single wheel, you lean into the slope and the wheelbarrow stays level. With a two wheel the wheelbarrow slopes also. Not a big deal if the slope is shallow or not very long. I would buy it again all day long.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Gorilla Cart for a few years, and would buy it again. Well made and easy to use. I've also had the Rubbermaid carts and thought they worked good too.

Lowes- Gorilla Cart

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All thoughts if toil ,sweat and aches will disappear next spring when you sink your bare feet in to your lush green freshly mown grass.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post