SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Doctors offices charging extra $50 for Covid 19 related expenses, my insurance doesn't cover - Update 1, Update 2 - resolved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctors offices charging extra $50 for Covid 19 related expenses, my insurance doesn't cover - Update 1, Update 2 - resolved Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No. The VA has a unique way of punishing you. The VA for some time has been billing private insurance for care. This generally pisses off the veteran who rightly expects that he or she earned the care. Currently very view patients are seen face to face in the VA. Most is telehealth.

The extra cost of PPE is absorbed by you and me. No need for an extra code. {BTW my response about the DBC was intended to be tongue in cheek}.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at the dentist they tried to assess a $15 fee for “COVID related supplies and cleaning services”. I told them I was not paying it. I also said that if their previous cleaning procedure wasn’t thorough enough then I was rethinking my choice in dentist. The issue was quickly dropped on their part.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Update 1.

I took wife into their main practice for minor toe surgery. I went to the front desk to inquire about my bill after first noticing there was no sign posted about the $50 Covid 19 related extra charge. I asked the lady if she was aware of the extra $50 fee per visit and she said she was but that the patient is not responsible for paying for it and that the insurance company would cover it LOL. I explained to her that on my EOBs the insurance company, BCBS, stated it is not a covered expense to to which she said again the patient is not responsible. At that point I told her I will wait until I get my bill in the mail and call the billing people with any concerns including if I am billed the $50 per visit fee. At that point she gave me a card with phone numbers of who to call about such questions and I thanked her.

So as of now I have to wait to see if this $50 charge per visit is actually billed to me if insurance refuses to pay it or what they do. It sounds like they probably will remove it if I protest seeing such on my bill or maybe greatly reduce it.

Changing practices is not an option for us as we otherwise are very happy with the practice and the doctors and their local office is only a 5 minute drive from our home.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I got the monthly bill from the practice I was billed $150 for 3 visits for the Covid 19 upcharge. Today I called their billing to discuss and person I talked to said they had already adjusted those three charges to zero. I was glad to hear that and issue resolved to my satisfaction.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yes it is happening. Insurance will NOT cover. Expenses in healthcare have gone through the roof due to COVID. A local dentist is charging an extra seven bucks for a COVID charge. It includes getting your temp taken, filling out a questionare, and a mask if needed while you sit in the waiting room. In my experience this is a business error. It really pisses off patients.

My favorite upscale restaurant is cutting the extras off the menu, like free desert, substitutions not permitted etc. It is more subtle and I understand.

I work in healthcare, and while my income is down significantly my expenses have greatly increased. I am absorbing the losses for the time being as I am confident things will bounce back next year. Self employment is never easy, but I would not want it any other way. Patients remember the little things like COVID upcharges.

Our family doctor has not even charged me for my last 3 visits! Not sure why but we appreciate it.

For those who charge more due to covid stuff, it is nothing more than price gouging. My doctor has a separate employee sitting outside the door into the practice, who takes every persons' temperature prior to entry into the practice and provides a mask if you don't have one. All at no cost!

Those who are charging extra are simply exploiting a situation and ripping off their patients.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post