SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Doctors offices charging extra $50 for Covid 19 related expenses, my insurance doesn't cover - Update 1, Update 2 - resolved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctors offices charging extra $50 for Covid 19 related expenses, my insurance doesn't cover - Update 1, Update 2 - resolved Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Anyone else run into this yet? My wife and I go to an Ortho practice and recently, first on 10/29/20 office visit, have been getting charged an extra $50 per in office visit for additional Covid 19 expenses. I have not called my insurance yet but I have received EOBs with note that this is not covered. On EOB it shows as CPT code 99072. My wife just finished up physical therapy and that would have cost us an extra $100 a week for two PT sessions she was doing.

I am not upset at doctors offices as I know Covid 19 has caused havoc with them but I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing this yet and if their insurance has been paying for it or not. Info in link below. Thanks for sharing any experiences. Hopefully I can at least get doctor's office to adjust charge down to a cash pay level. EOB shows insurance did not show any negotiated rate like it typically does for services charged which is often a fraction of what is originally "billed".

https://healthcare.traininglea...cpt-99072-covid-ppe/

"What Does 99072 Pay for?
Early in September, the AMA approved new CPT code 99072, to compensate you for the additional supplies, materials, and clinical staff time you spend on the following COVID-related activities:

Performing patient symptom checks over the phone and upon arrival (i.e. taking temperatures, asking questions, and providing distancing instructions)
Putting on and removing personal protective equipment (PPE)
Increased sanitation measures to prevent COVID spread, including cleaning supplies like hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, and more.
"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is happening. Insurance will NOT cover. Expenses in healthcare have gone through the roof due to COVID. A local dentist is charging an extra seven bucks for a COVID charge. It includes getting your temp taken, filling out a questionare, and a mask if needed while you sit in the waiting room. In my experience this is a business error. It really pisses off patients.

My favorite upscale restaurant is cutting the extras off the menu, like free desert, substitutions not permitted etc. It is more subtle and I understand.

I work in healthcare, and while my income is down significantly my expenses have greatly increased. I am absorbing the losses for the time being as I am confident things will bounce back next year. Self employment is never easy, but I would not want it any other way. Patients remember the little things like COVID upcharges.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did some research and let me add the following:
November 3, 2020

The American Medical Association (AMA) published a new Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) code on September 8 that accounts for extra provisions to ensure patient and provider safety during a public health emergency. CMS announced on October 27 it has assigned CPT 99072 procedure status “B.”

The code is effective immediately: CPT 99072 - Additional supplies, materials, and clinical staff time over and above those usually included in an office visit or other non-facility service(s), when performed during a Public Health Emergency as defined by law, due to respiratory-transmitted infectious disease.

Some third-party payers have and will reimburse providers for this new CPT code, others won’t. Status "B" means:

there are no RVUs for this code;
CMS considers it to be bundled with whatever service was provided that day;
CMS’ contractors will not pay for this service;
providers may not bill the beneficiary for this service; and
issuing an Advanced Beneficiary Notice related to this service is not an option.
The CPT Editorial Panel creates CPT codes, but plays no role in developing payment for those codes. CPT is a registered trademark of the AMA.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated!

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been to the dentist quite a bit this year and several doctor visits. I've never been charged for anything like that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5043 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

there are no RVUs for this code;
CMS considers it to be bundled with whatever service was provided that day
Alphabet soup.
  • RVU?

• CMS?
The other TLAs* that you used were defined, but not these two.
*TLA: Three Letter Acronym

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
One call to my doctor, "either make it go away or I'll never use you again"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a bullshit charge.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Bingo! My (former) dentist started the $20 "Covid cleaning fee" this year for EVERY patient. You must pay PRIOR to even getting into the office. I had a long conversation with them 2 months ago and decided we were on different sides and because of the Covid fee and some other BS I fired them.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can get a reasonable explanation of why a separate charge needs to be added I will listen and then decide. Just to add it with no explanation would not sit well with me based on principle.

Without an explanation every business could be doing the same. There may be a perfectly good reason for a dentist or Dr. to charge but let’s hear the reasoning.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Vtail. RVU is:

RVU stands for Relative Value Unit and is currently used by Medicare to determine the amount of reimbursement to providers. RVUs are basically a way of standardizing and comparing service volumes across all continuums. Traditionally reimbursement has predominately been based upon volume

CMS is the GOVERNMENT. It means Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. It is extremely powerful as it sets fees doctors can charge and determines the procedures. Even if the doctor does not see Medicare patients, it comes into your life as other insurance companies use its figures to determine allowable procedures and fees. In my opinion it is akin to price fixing.

By bundling is meant including it in the evaluation and management codes and not charging extra.

Sometimes from a business viewpoint you have to absorb the extra cost and get it back later.

posted Hide Post
In a similar vein-I had to have daily wound care for 16 days this summer. My Dr is closed on Sunday, so I was forced to go to the only urgent care facility in two counties for treatment, or the emergency room. Unfortunately, as I found out later, the only medical staff working were Paki immigrants, out of my network. Each visit cost me 165 bucks. The ER would have charged me 100 and the treatment would have been covered.

We've not been hit with Covid charges, we just get denied service.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hate this stuff, and have been caught in it myself. Many hospitals contract out ER services to different corporations such as TEAMHEALTH. Even though the hospital is in network the doctors in the ER are not. The current term is surprise billing.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
So my question to my Doctor if I were charged this fee would be "is this your true cost or do you add a profit margin to it"
and "once this is over will you eliminate the cost to the your customers"

If it is really his "cost" and it is "temporary" I might not have a problem with it. If they add a profit and will keep it after this is over it is time to find a new Doctor.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You guys just realize that it your privilege to pay this extra fee to DO YOUR part to fight COVID.

Just one more small sacrifice.

(Yes, it is sarcasm)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Especially when it was NEVER our fault that the ccp crud came to the USA.

Charge china for those crud costs through increased tariffs.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like that everywhere.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Imagine sending them $50 worth of actual bullshit, with the purchase receipt, as "payment in full".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it would not be well received. If it were the Veterans Administration you would be reported to the Disruptive Behavior Committee. All future appoitments if you are not banned would be in the company of security personnel. Some doctors just do not have a sense of humor. Personally go ahead. LOL

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If it were the Veterans Administration you would be reported to the Disruptive Behavior Committee. All future appoitments if you are not banned would be in the company of security personnel.
If it were the Veterans Administration, would this CPT 99072 "bullshit charge" be assessed?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post