SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sudden Increase In Gmail Spam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sudden Increase In Gmail Spam Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have a couple gmail accounts, one for business, one for personal. Gmail usually does an outstanding job of filtering spam. Two or three spam emails a month might slip through the gmail filters.

The past three or four days, the personal gmail account has been just fine, but the one with the business address has been slammed with spam junk.

IP addresses indicate that it is all originating offshore.

Most of it is for auto insurance.

Gmail has a mechanism for reporting spam. I have sent these messages to that gmail facility, but new ones keep coming.

Very annoying.
UPDATE: Looks like it took gmail a day or two, to get this mass spammer ID into their system. I'm still receiving the stuff, but now it is coming in properly identified as spam, so it is winding up in the junk folder where it should, instead of the regular inbox.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Poor company just wants to make sure you are adequately insured and protected and you report them for spam. What's the world coming to Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last month I had the same happen to me. Went from 15-20 spam mails/day in the gmail spam folder to 200+. That went on for about a week then back to the normal amount.

Looks like it's your turn this month. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would get rid of anything "Google", including Gmail, Chrome, and anything else. Seems Google Maps now requires you to "log in" to get directions so that's out too.

I use Apple's iCloud email, and have for the last 20 years - going back to when it was .mac and then .me. Spam filtering is quite good, I only get a few.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Hotmail account; same story early last week. Usually about 10-15 junk mails a day, suddenly it was over 100. Seems to have slowed down as of yesterday.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Personally, I would get rid of anything "Google", including Gmail, Chrome, and anything else. Seems Google Maps now requires you to "log in" to get directions so that's out too.

I use Apple's iCloud email, and have for the last 20 years - going back to when it was .mac and then .me. Spam filtering is quite good, I only get a few.

Bit confused by your recommendation, since you have to log in on a Mac to iCloud.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i see close to 200/week, when i do weekly cleanup.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
The text message ones have gotten really bad for me.

No, I don't want dick pills, barely legal teens, hot $ingle$ near me, bitcoin, an exciting investment opportunity, or to sell my home to a real estate conglomerate. FFS.

I don't even open my gmail spam folder any more, that's how you get cancer.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not really GMail applicable but if you have your own domain you should use a Spam Gateway.
Mail gets filtered before hitting your email (server).
This works with hosted or your own email server (I know most all here don't have their own server).
I use MXGuarddog but there are plenty of others.
It is not very expensive but you do need to have your own domain and control of it (DNS).
I believe if you use the Kommie GoDaddy they offer this as an add on as well as an option.

PS... don't use your primary company or business email to register for anything online that is not directly related to your business.
Set up a GMAIL, Outlook.com, Yahoo or any other for your personal crap.
BUT get ready for SPAM as it will be coming.
YMMV

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
I see close to 200/week, when I do weekly cleanup.

Which is almost nothing by todays standards.
Consider yourself lucky.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post