SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon Prime price increase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime price increase Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’m a little surprised that so many here actually still willingly give Amazon money.
As I noted, above, Mark: Sometimes one has little choice. Where I have a workable choice I now go elsewhere-even if it means spending a bit more.

In some cases people are shopping at Amazon because they live far away from any choices at all. It's either Amazon, driving for hours, or doing without.

E.g.: Several supplements I use I now acquire from a nearby Vitamin Shoppe. But if I lived more than a half-hour or so away from it (it's about fifteen-twenty minutes) that would be a non-starter. Certainly were it an hour or more away.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I quit Amazon altogether. I’m not giving those schmucks any more of my money. I’m a little surprised that so many here actually still willingly give Amazon money.
I live in a fairly well populated area (vicinity Orlando). There are many things that I can not find locally, and Amazon seems to be the best choice.

Example: something as simple as a Carhartt shirt in a TALL size. Local stores carry plenty of these shirts in regular sizes, but I have never found TALL in a local store. Same thing with jeans with 36" inseam. Just can not find them locally.

Bearings to repair our rental equipment. I buy them in packs of a dozen, or maybe fifty. If I take the time -- a lot of time -- to shop around, I might find them in onesies-twosies, but at five or ten times the cost of buying them at Amazon. Ebay maybe, but if something isn't right, returns are very simple at Amazon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You know, you can buy Carhartt directly from their website. You don't have to use Amazon. Of course, Carhartt is on the boycott list too.

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
All vendors have some type of e-commerce

I get stuff shipped all the time despite no Amazon

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
All vendors have some type of e-commerce
True, but one thing Amazon still does better than anybody, IME, is returns. Most times: You don't like it, wasn't what you thought it was, it arrives damaged, just about whatever: You initiate a return, they send you to a printable return label, you box it up and slap the label on, drop it off at your nearest UPS drop-off, and done. I've usually seen my refund issued as soon as they see the UPS return scanned-in.

Mind you: I'm not advocating for shopping at Amazon. But it's hard to deny they have return policies and mechanisms superior to most.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You're right about returns.

Mrs. Flash wears a leg brace and her right shoe has to be a certain way for it to work right.

So, since she's starting with a new design brace, she knew the correct shoe would be one of 3 different sizes. She ordered 3 pair, one in each of those sizes and tried the brace with them.

One worked great, the other 2 not so great.

So I went into Amazon, clicked return, a screen came up with all the things I'd bought that were still eligible to return and I clicked the check box on 2 pairs of shoes and clicked okay.

This took me to another screen which offered a half a dozen places I could return them. I selected one a quarter mile away, another screen came up and I printed it.

Then I went down to the UPS store with 2 shoeboxes and one printed sheet of paper. Went in, gave them to the guy and I was out in less than a minute.

An hour later I got a notification on my cell that the money was refunded.

What could be easier?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I'm not even mad...a little sad but you knew it was going to happen. Just like 20.00 a box 9mm

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post