SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bluray disks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluray disks Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have had a bluray player for a long time but it hasn’t been used for movies in years, only for CD music.

On impulse, I bought a bluray disk. The content was good.

But holy hell - what is with all the legal warnings in 20 different languages at the beginning and end of each episode? That you can’t skip through, even if it’s in a language you don’t understand. Once per disk in English, okay. But every friggin episode?

Are UHD bluray disks with modern movies better? Or the same? If same, that may give me pause buying a UHD player in the sales season coming up. And the UHD Dune disk. Annoying as hell.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Shows on disk should be used for archival purposes because you never know when the content will be pulled from streaming services or edited to appease "modern sensibilities". Once you buy the disc, rip it and watch the movies/tv shows from the digital copy that you have stripped out those notices from.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just rip it. Rip it good. dunn dunn dunn dunn dunn. DUUUNNN dunn. (Devo played in my head for some reason).

I don't really know how to rip things. I'll look into it. Thanks.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In the Windows world, I believe MakeMKV is the best ripping utility, or at least a popular one. I'd use MakeMKV to make the ISO, and then use Handbrake to actually create the MKV. I like the control that Handbrake provides.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I think I'll learn greek first before learning how to rip things. Smile

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Are UHD bluray disks with modern movies better? Or the same? If same, that may give me pause buying a UHD player in the sales season coming up. And the UHD Dune disk. Annoying as hell.
Movies have warnings at the beginning--usually in English and French for the N/A zone. That's it.

We just watched three DVDs, six BDs, and six 4k UHD BDs to test our new BD player.

We have Firefly and Battlestar Galactica on DVD. I don't recall excessive warnings on those.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks! I think I'll learn greek first before learning how to rip things. Smile

My mind did the Freudian slip thing when I read that. I thought you said you'd learn geek first. I was thinking you could double task that project. Smile

It's really quite easy. Most ripping involves plopping in a disk, clicking the "Start" button, and waiting 30 min or so. For most people, the default settings do just fine. I've got thousands of movies ripped, can stream them anywhere in the world, and I cannot remember the last time I touched a disc or saw the FBI warning.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post