SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you order from Walmart.com, be sure it's actually Walmart selling it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you order from Walmart.com, be sure it's actually Walmart selling it Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
My coffee percolator shorted out with a noise and flash and tripped the circuit breaker. Against my better judgement, I placed an order for a new one from a Walmart seller. They told me it was shipped and delivered, but it never was. I did get a prompt response and eventually a refund, but I'd rather have had my coffee maker.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I just check on something that I ordered and right under the items it states who you are buying it from.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Newegg was the same way last time I messed with them. They both tried to "me too" the game Amazon was playing and it didn't work out all the best for them.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's getting really hard to tell these days. Last Christmas my girlfriend's keurig died, so I got her a new one for Christmas. I ordered from Amazon, and the item was shipped. And then it sat at waiting for package to be dropped off for like a week and a half to the point that I told her I didn't know if her gift was going to get here by Christmas or not. The very next day we went out for lunch, and when we got home there's a walmart.com box sitting on my porch. I didn't know what it was because I ordered from Amazon and my tracking still hadn't updated, but sure enough it was the Keurig. I don't know what kind of ill omen it is that the two of them are somehow working together, but I don't like it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Same as Amazon. If you deal with the mother ship, you get good service.

If you deal with third parties it is hit or miss. Amazon cracks the whip with third parties a little more than Wal Mart, but still.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I don't know what kind of ill omen it is that the two of them are somehow working together, but I don't like it.

There's no backroom deal between Amazon and Walmart. The explanation is that you must have ordered from a third party seller on Amazon who's doing something called "retail arbitrage".

Basically, they find an item that they can buy from one retailer like Walmart at a good price, say $50. They then list that item for sale on somewhere else like eBay or Amazon Marketplace at a markup, say $60. That price will often be less than the normal Amazon price, say $70, because Walmart currently has it on sale but Amazon doesn't.

You as a buyer then see that the normal Amazon price is $70, but you can get it from that third party Amazon seller for $60 and save $10. So you order that item from them through Amazon for $60, and the seller turns around and orders it from Walmart for $50, sets it to be shipped by Walmart directly to you as the buyer, and pockets their $10 profit.

The item then arrives at your house in a Walmart box, because even though you ordered it through Amazon, the third party Amazon seller fulfilled it through Walmart on their end.

Basically they're hunting around online to find deals on in-demand items, and then using that other retailer as the equivalent of a drop-shipper in order to fulfill each of their eBay/Amazon Marketplace orders, and making a small profit off each sale. But they can do it in large volume, since each order requires minimal effort, and thereby turn a reasonable profit through sheer volume. Especially if they have software/scripts to help automate most of the process.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I don't know what kind of ill omen it is that the two of them are somehow working together, but I don't like it.

There's no backroom deal between Amazon and Walmart. The explanation is that you must have ordered from a third party seller on Amazon who's doing something called "retail arbitrage".

Basically, they find an item that they can buy from one retailer like Walmart at a good price, say $50. They then list that item for sale on somewhere else like eBay or Amazon Marketplace at a markup, say $60. That price will often be less than the normal Amazon price, say $70, because Walmart currently has it on sale but Amazon doesn't.

You as a buyer then see that the normal Amazon price is $70, but you can get it from that third party Amazon seller for $60 and save $10. So you order that item from them through Amazon for $60, and the seller turns around and orders it from Walmart for $50, sets it to be shipped by Walmart directly to you as the buyer, and pockets their $10 profit.

The item then arrives at your house in a Walmart box, because even though you ordered it through Amazon, the third party Amazon seller fulfilled it through Walmart on their end.

Basically they're hunting around online to find deals on in-demand items, and then using that other retailer as the equivalent of a drop-shipper in order to fulfill each of their eBay/Amazon Marketplace orders, and making a small profit off each sale. But they can do it in large volume, since each order requires minimal effort, and thereby turn a reasonable profit through sheer volume. Especially if they have software/scripts to help automate most of the process.

That explanation is perfectly reasonable and makes perfect sense. The rational part of my head accepts this, but I'm still going to let the lizard part in the back of my brain be irritated by it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Got my new perc today from Target.com, and at $15 less to boot.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post