SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Looks Like My Jeep Grand Cherokee's Navigation System Has Gone Tango-Uniform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks Like My Jeep Grand Cherokee's Navigation System Has Gone Tango-Uniform Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Went to a follow-up appointment for last week's tooth extraction. Brought up the nav system to get a read on estimated arrival time.

It started out right, then, next thing I know, it's got me travelling next to the roads I'm on. Then I notice my ETA is getting later and later and see I'm crossing fields and lakes. Then I'm seeing roads I'd never heard of before.

Just went out a bit ago to fire it back up to see if it'd come back to reality. No such luck. It's showing my Jeep to be some twenty-three miles away from where it really is.

Went into the navigation info pages to check GPS status: No bars of GPS signal showing.

I think it's dead, Jim Frown

Damn head unit's a ±$2k expense. Being as I'm seeing lots of complaints of failing navigation systems in Jeeps I guess I'll just go back to using my iPhone.

I guess I won't be going to my grave owning my Jeep, after all.

I will not be buying another Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product.

Probably back to Japanese product for me after the Jeep's paid off.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have a 2014 GC limited.

A couple of weeks ago I read (maybe on SF) that due to the 5G rollout that older vehicles (which use a 3G system) will be loosing their gps capabilities as that service is being dropped from the major carriers. But have no fear Jeep will rent you a service to keep you up to date…;-(

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While the head unit might be $2k, have you ruled out the much cheaper GPS antenna module for $50? Sounds like the head unit may still be working, it's just not getting a GPS signal. Could even be as simple as a loose connection.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

A couple of weeks ago I read (maybe on SF) that due to the 5G rollout that older vehicles (which use a 3G system) will be loosing their gps capabilities as that service is being dropped from the major carriers.
3G cellular being shut down should not affect navigation systems' GPS. 5G services being started-up should not interfere with GPS signals.

quote:
But have no fear Jeep will rent you a service to keep you up to date…;-(
It's not a rental. It's a free dongle that plugs into your under-dash OBDC socket. But those have been plagued with problems.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
While the head unit might be $2k, have you ruled out the much cheaper GPS antenna module for $50? Sounds like the head units' working, it's just not getting a GPS signal from the antenna. Could even be as simple as a loose connection.
Could be, and, if it is I'll certainly reconsider my current thinking. (Which, admittedly, is influenced, at least in part, because I'm currently exceedingly annoyed.)

In addition to this: My wife and I were supposed to go to a visitation for the father of one of my two best friends, who passed-away, unexpectedly, earlier this week. Then rain followed by ice followed by snow hit. Don't feel comfortable driving an hour (in normal weather and traffic) in this Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that the GPS options menu should allow you to see how many satellites you are linked to.

That would give you a better idea where the problem lies.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to get rid of my wife's 2014. It's a POS

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Thinking that the GPS options menu should allow you to see how many satellites you are linked to.

That would give you a better idea where the problem lies.
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Went into the navigation info pages to check GPS status: No bars of GPS signal showing.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Is there a gps/compass calibration option in your head unit settings?

Also dependent upon your vehicle an aftermarket replacement can be far cheaper with more options and features.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Is there a gps/compass calibration option in your head unit settings?
Nope.

Wouldn't make any difference. As I noted: There are no GPS signals on the GPS status page.

Compass is apparently independent of the GPS. It's still functioning and accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Also dependent upon your vehicle an aftermarket replacement can be far cheaper with more options and features.
Not feasible. The Uconnect head unit controls a crap-ton of vehicle features and settings.

I wouldn't even be upgrade to a more recent version to get myself Apple CarPlay if I wanted to. Not in the 2015 Jeep.

Thanks, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep

I overall love the Jeep, but all those electronics made me nervous from the start. Turns out that was for good reason.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What does the head unit control that doesn't have redundant controls? In my Dad's 2016 Ram 1500, it has redundant manual controls for just about everything he needs to use. I really don't think the uconnect head unit controls anything so much as it is an interface you can use to control things. Obviously, you should do your research, but I think you should be able to go to an aftermarket head unit and use something like Maestro to pass car system information to the new display. That way you can get new features like CarPlay/AndroidAuto as well as a possibly bigger screen.

Of course, you're talking about probably over a grand or more for a complete system but it's cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Just checked, maybe 2 to 3 grand to upgrade. Good luck.

There is a place that sells upgrades to newer uconnect systems for older vehicles called Infotainment.com. It looks like they sell an upgrade to the uconnect unit for your jeep.

https://www.infotainment.com/c...-jeep-grand-cherokee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paten,

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this would wipe presets but how about trying a good old fashion reboot.

Disconnect the battery, wait some time and reconnect. Like we do with our routers all the time.

The other idea is to see where the gps antennae wire runs. Maybe connect is loose or cut.

I wanted to do the upgrade on 2015 BMW, but the place said that you will loose GPS, but no biggie, just use your phone and carplay. Ok, I ask, how am I going to know where I am when there is no cell signal? Their response is cell services are everywhere. Sure deep in BLM I call all the time to place take out orders Frown

But the maps loaded in the BMW have the roads on them.

Good luck hunting it down.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn head unit's a ±$2k expense. Being as I'm seeing lots of complaints of failing navigation systems in Jeeps I guess I'll just go back to using my iPhone.

wait, I thought you dumped those evil eye-Phones, shouldn't you have an Android phone and then hook it to your new ToyoHondMazda Big Grin

Just replace the head unit with an aftermarket one that has AppleCar play, factory GPS units are crap anyway, everyones moving away from them to phone interface software.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

A couple of weeks ago I read (maybe on SF) that due to the 5G rollout that older vehicles (which use a 3G system) will be loosing their gps capabilities as that service is being dropped from the major carriers.
3G cellular being shut down should not affect navigation systems' GPS. 5G services being started-up should not interfere with GPS signals.

quote:
But have no fear Jeep will rent you a service to keep you up to date…;-(
It's not a rental. It's a free dongle that plugs into your under-dash OBDC socket. But those have been plagued with problems….Frown

Sorry, my friend, but you’re misinformed..

“ A Stellantis representative said they’re converting 3G vehicles to accept 4G and are offering two subscription packaged to continue service….Customers must visit an authorized dealer to upgrade and continue service.”

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/lo...5NZCAXI7U4WGZDWAZAE/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
What does the head unit control that doesn't have redundant controls?
All kinds of settings and presets, such as how Park Sense works, etc., etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
I know this would wipe presets but how about trying a good old fashion reboot.
People have tried that. It never works.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
The other idea is to see where the gps antennae wire runs. Maybe connect is loose or cut.
I'll let my dealership figure that out Smile

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
wait, I thought you dumped those evil eye-Phones, shouldn't you have an Android phone and then hook it to your new ToyoHondMazda Big Grin
No, I said I would probably be dumping the Evil eye-Phones Smile And I may, yet.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Just replace the head unit with an aftermarket one ...
Addressed previously.

quote:
Sorry, my friend, but you’re misinformed..

“ A Stellantis representative said they’re converting 3G vehicles to accept 4G and are offering two subscription packaged to continue service….
I believe that's for, or includes, Uconnect Access, a service package that gives you E911, a WiFi hotspot, control of your vehicle with a phone app, and a bunch of other stuff. The dongle, itself, is a no-charge upgrade as I understand it. (I don't need it, so I haven't looked into it closely.)

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Wild guess here but I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of RoHS solder in the radio and poor internal connections?

I’m pretty sure that was the problem with my Wrangler’s OE radio, started with poor to no AM ahem the same with FM reception. Once in a while the reception would come back but soon fade again. CD player, Sirius radio and the auxiliary input all worked fine.

Not that unusual of a problem with the Siemens supplied radios of that time frame but our same year and same model radio in our Liberty is fine. One YouTuber shows the problem IC chip, pressing on it usually makes the radio work correctly.

Jeep dealer fix is a radio exchange of around four fifty plus R&R labor. I opted for a used OE touchscreen radio sold from one of the Jeep forums for three hundred.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

Talked to the stealership today. ±$1200 to replace the head unit with a factory refurb. ±$2400 to replace with a factory-new unit.

Here's the kicker: The guy told me the cost of the refurb unit, alone, is $750. So $450 in labor.

From everything I'm being told, it takes all of about thirty minutes to swap-out the head unit.

I'm thinkin' of callin' the stealership back, tomorrow, asking for the service manager, and asking him why something that, by all accounts, takes about thirty minutes to do could result in a $450 labor charge.

Just to hear the song and dance. I'm retired. I have nothing but time Big Grin

Then tell him: "Y'know, I've maintained my Jeep religiously. Your service department has gotten all that service business. Here's what your service department and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram have accomplished by trying to bend me over: I'll be taking my Jeep elsewhere for service, going forward. A non-CDJR elsewhere. And, when it comes time to replace this Jeep, it won't be replaced with another CDJR product. Good day, sir!"

I don't react kindly to being bent over Wink

posted Hide Post
Hey, Email me with the name of the dealership you are talking to. I still have a connection or two with Jeep dealers in the area.

VIN would help too.

No promises but maybe I can be of some help.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, shovelhead! Email inbound Smile

posted Hide Post
Got your email. I’ll make a call tomorrow morning.

posted Hide Post
The touch screen on my Lexus died at 105,000 miles and the dealer wanted $3000 to fix it. Climate control, stereo, and pretty much everything else all unavailable. Seems like a single, expensive point of failure on a vehicle.

With hours of research, parts from Ebay, and help at a local audio shop I got it fixed for around $600.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post