SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CARP!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CARP! Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
This has nothing to do with Sigs.
Do any of you fish for Carp?
See these Monsters feeding in shallow water, but never see any one catching them.
In 1958 I caught a little one.
Someone said you cook them on a board, throw the fish away and eat the board.
My self I fish for Channel Cats, and release them to make more.
Just curious.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have caught Carp and eaten them. They have a ton of small bones that you need to be careful of, but they do taste pretty good.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Trash fish, they are fun to catch though

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I've fished for them on light tackle and they are a blast to catch.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine used to bow hunt them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Trash fish

They may be considered trash here but in Europe they are actually farmed and widely eaten. I recall having fried carp in Germany and it was delicious and I think classic Jewish Gefilte Fish is traditionally made from it.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My European wife loves Carp. Fresh Carp is sold at a large Mexican/Asian market on Nolensville Road & she bought some a few times. I cannot eat Carp because of the lifetime being told they are trash fish.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have caught them on light tackle using a white beetle spinner on the James River above Buchanan, VA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Snagging Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
They do not eat dead things told they are algae and vegatation.(Bottom Feeders with no teeth)
Now Cat Fish eat dead things.
Carp was an Air Force term for Officers!
I know they are fun to watch.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The only people I know that fished for carp used bows.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caught a hundred of them, never ate one. The reason I'll never be able to eat Wheaties cereal.
It's what we used for bait. I still remember that smell of Wheaties and lake water. Yuck!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw a news story about a genius chef in Chicago that wants to rename the invasive Asian carp and market it as a delicacy.

So when you see Copi on a menu near you just know,
ITS CARP !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Bow fishing for carp is a hoot and I have snagged a few when fishing for northerns or walleyes. They put up a hell of a fight. I have heard they are good eating and I would eat one as long as I didn't know what I was eating.

Never purposely fished for carp and our lakes are full of them.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bugle Mouth Bass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've seen several recent fly fishing videos that show they're a pretty fun game fish.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l57Vh43_LSM

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
We used to use dough or corn meal balls with anise mixed in.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Trophy fish in UK & Europe.

Link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I just saw a news story about a genius chef in Chicago that wants to rename the invasive Asian carp and market it as a delicacy.

I saw a news item a few years ago about some enterprising person who was harvesting the invasive Asian silver carp and selling it back to the Pacific Rim as "Kentucky White Fish".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post