SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Companies That Manage To Screw Up A Great Product
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies That Manage To Screw Up A Great Product Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I don't know if the Speck Presidio Grip is/was guilty of this, but a lot of products w/ rubber trim like that, the rubber pieces gradually peel off and look like crap.

I think this is the reason for the mod. I owned several of this model and availed myself twice of the lifetime warranty due to the rubber pieces peeling off.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I had one of those Speck cases for my iPhone and those little rubber grips started to peel off after about 2 months of use. The ridges in my opinion seem like a better option.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My guess is it's more likely because those grippy rubber ridges were probably dirt magnets and probably made the phone difficult to get in and out of tight pockets.

PASig, have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer to ask them why they did that?
Or too grippy for all the women who carry their phones in their back pocket.

I carry my phone in my front jeans pocket. Not sure where else to keep it in summer. So I'm a guy but I found the silicone to be a pain in the ass. I went back to Magpul after having other brands too slippy or too grippy. I have the X, so I'll be disappointed if they don't make one for newer models when I eventually need it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess the labor rates even in the ol' PRC are creepin' on up. Always look for cheapening; after all it's the CHINA WAY.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I had one of those Speck cases for my iPhone and those little rubber grips started to peel off after about 2 months of use. The ridges in my opinion seem like a better option.

My FIL had a Speck with the original rubber grips and his started to peel off too. I think some people are just rougher with their gadgets than others as I've had at least 6 of these cases over the years and never had an issue.

I have a work iPhone with the original style rubber grips and a new one for my personal iPhone and each time I grab the work phone, it makes me realize just how bad and slippery the new one is. I've had it slip out of my hand or off of furniture numerous times already. Mad

It's a moot point now anyway as I've picked up a 12 Pro Max and waiting for an Otterbox to arrive. I'm done with Speck over this.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the "improved" blue version posted by the OP ad I find the grip level to be just perfect.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Still shows available on Amazon for the 11

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-C...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

This one for the 12 appears to be what you speck'd

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-P...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

So far, I've received two counterfeit Otterbox cases on AMZN. So be careful!!!

I even called Otterbox to get help to determine if they were fake, the guy told me what to look for, and yes, counterfeit.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I even called Otterbox to get help to determine if they were fake, the guy told me what to look for, and yes, counterfeit.

Now you've got my curiosity up.

What do you look for to see if the Otter Box is counterfeit?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Now you've got my curiosity up.

What do you look for to see if the Otter Box is counterfeit?

Awesome question. Otterbox has a link which describes what to look for. They SPECIFIALLY call out Amazon Marketplace as a place for Counterfeits. (But not all AMZN Otterboxes are fake.)

In my situation, I bought from a seller called "Prune Danish" on the AMZN marketplace. Didn't think anything about it since the page said it shipped from Amazon.

Then when I got it, the packaging was all wrong. Cheap cardboard box. The instructions looked like they came off of a Xerox machine as opposed to glossy printing. The case itself also seemed brittle, not flexible. I e-mailed and asked Prune Danish why they used a cheap cardboard box, and I asked if it was a counterfeit. They had some story about buying in bulk and doing the packaging themselves to save money.

So I called Otterbox and told them what Prune Danish had told me about the packaging. the Otterbox guy told me that all Otterbox cases leave their factory in a very specific plastic packaging, and they have never sold unpackaged otterboxes in bulk to anyone. He also said that nobody is going to take the time to unpackage real cases, and then repackage them in cardboard. He went on to tell me it was fake. So I returned it.

That was the second fake Otterbox in my lifetime. The first one was for a cheap Samsung phone that I really didn't care about. After some time, the fake case started to split down the middle. An actual split in the soft plastic. The texturing on the case had worn off as well --- it kind of flaked off after a few months of use. I later compared it to a real otterbox and realized it was fake. Also purchased on AMZN.

So, for my most recent phone, I bought the case from the Apple Store. I'm 99.99% sure it's real.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Radioman's post is interesting. We just got a second iPhone for my wife so that she could have separate telephone numbers for personal and business.

Looked at Amazon earlier this evening for an OtterBox case. Prune Danish is still selling them on Amazon, in "non-retail packaging." They have some negative reviews about the cases not fitting the phones properly.
I have previously mentioned the following, about OtterBox and their outstanding customer service: it was about eight years ago that I missed a step getting out of the cargo area of my delivery truck. I crashed to the pavement, fracturing my hip. The (genuine) OtterBox protected my phone, but someplace between the scene, the ambulance, the ER, and the residential rehab facility, the detachable belt holster and clip went missing.

I emailed OtterBox, asked if I could buy the belt holster and clip subassembly separately from the OtterBox case. They sent me one at no charge, and enclosed a "get well" card signed by their whole customer service team.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I don't know if the Speck Presidio Grip is/was guilty of this, but a lot of products w/ rubber trim like that, the rubber pieces gradually peel off and look like crap.

The rubber would absolutely peel off the candyshell grip case and look like crap. Same with the original Presidio case.

I love the Speck cases. I've owned the Candyshell, Presidio and Presidio2. I find each is an improvement over the last.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

That's curious because the Speck website does not list that. I suspect at that price it's a knockoff and not genuine Speck. They're normally like $40-$60 each, not $9.33

Link

Seller is the Speck Store, click on the sellers name and you go to their Amazon web page.

customerservice@speckproducts.com if you really want to know...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every shoe company that ever existed. Every time I find a great fitting shoe or sneaker, the company overhauls the last/design and ruins it.

Now, when I find a great fitting/feeling shoe, I buy 3-4 pairs.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Life's lesson here is that if you really like a product, buy two or more because they'll stop making it.
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

^I do that with shoes.
Me too.

I have never bought just one shoe

Now thats funny L.R. Big Grin I'm also in the camp that purchases two pairs of shoes. Since I have a bit of difficulty with tying shoe laces these days, I found some soft slip on's that work tremendously with just a shoe horn to slip on, so I definitely snapped up two pairs.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Agreed.

Engineers trying to make a name for themselves. I'm currently dealing with it.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post