SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Companies That Manage To Screw Up A Great Product
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies That Manage To Screw Up A Great Product Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
OK so we all know that a stock, out of the box iPhone is about as slippery as a wet bar of soap, so the first thing I do when buying a new one is to put it in a good, grippy case.

I've been using the Speck brand of cases for years now, they originally had a model called the Candy Shell Grip, then the Presidio Grip. They now sell the Presidio2 Grip but the grippy rubber ridges are gone and instead they simply molded ridges out of the same plastic the case is made of. It's no longer "grippy" and in fact is only marginally better than a bare iPhone now. Roll Eyes

Why do companies take a perfectly good product and have to "improve" it like this? It's SO DUMB. Now I'm going to abandon them for Otterbox and never come back.

The original version, nice and grippy in the hand, the black ridges are actual rubbery material:

The "improved version", not grippy at all in the hand. The ridges are just molded out of the hard plastic of the case. LAME:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
probably costs .25 less per case to do it that way. Or maybe even a dollar less....

they think they're saving money and they might make a few more dollars until people stop buying from them altogether.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My guess is it's more likely because those grippy rubber ridges were probably dirt magnets and probably made the phone difficult to get in and out of tight pockets.

PASig, have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer to ask them why they did that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Try a We The People Case. They feel like silicone rubber and are very grippy.

https://wethepeopleholsters.co...2EAAYASAAEgI6SvD_BwE

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put two thin strips of skateboard tape along the sides of my case. Works great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Still shows available on Amazon for the 11

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-C...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

This one for the 12 appears to be what you speck'd

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-P...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

That's curious because the Speck website does not list that. I suspect at that price it's a knockoff and not genuine Speck. They're normally like $40-$60 each, not $9.33

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Tell that to the idiots in charge of R&D and Marketing. They seem to know what the consumer wants.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

That's curious because the Speck website does not list that. I suspect at that price it's a knockoff and not genuine Speck. They're normally like $40-$60 each, not $9.33

Possible, or just new old stock?
With one of the older iPhone models, we'd get the not-sold-in-the-US OtterBox Armor cases. They did a fantastic job at protecting field employees' phones. IIRC they retailed for something like $100/per & we were getting them for <$50 after they were discontinued.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have the model you are talking about and it's really not that bad. It grips ok but it's a PITA getting that sucker out of your pocket, isn't it?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with the Magpul iphone cases for years.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’ve been happy with the Magpul iphone cases for years.

I had one for an iPhone 6 and loved it but alas they seem to have given up on the idea of making new ones. IIRC their cases stop at the XR and XS which are 3+ years on now. Frown

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some dolt wanted to take their design to the 'next level' or some other bullshit.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Best case I've ever used (and a former Speck case user) is dbrand. Really protective and quality cases, shipped quickly. Their website is fun as well. Cases for Apple, Samsung, Google and someone else. I have one and just ordered a second for my wife.

Here's the link

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Life's lesson here is that if you really like a product, buy two or more because they'll stop making it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^I do that with shoes.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the Speck Presidio Grip is/was guilty of this, but a lot of products w/ rubber trim like that, the rubber pieces gradually peel off and look like crap.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Life's lesson here is that if you really like a product, buy two or more because they'll stop making it.
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

^I do that with shoes.
Me too.

I have never bought just one shoe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My guess is it's more likely because those grippy rubber ridges were probably dirt magnets and probably made the phone difficult to get in and out of tight pockets.

PASig, have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer to ask them why they did that?
Or too grippy for all the women who carry their phones in their back pocket.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post