Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
Arrrgh. When I was working, generally it was straightforward to make decisions. Gather data, compare/contrast, pros/cons, NPV, whatever. Then make a decision. Back then, when it was time to buy a car, I knew what I wanted to buy and just looked for what I wanted at the price I wanted. It's been months now and I can't decide what car to buy to replace my current aging vehicle. I keep going in circles and/or adding new considerations. Started with wanting a (street) truck to haul things around. Tundra, then Tacoma, then Ridgeline. The latter still somewhat a candidate. Then enters a car and just rent a truck / trailer when needed. Miata, Camry, Crown, Prius, Tesla all in the mix. Then different flavors like plug-in and/or AWD and/or trim level. All have their first order attractions and detractions, complicated further by relative price / value. Perhaps because I'm a retirement budget. Or perhaps selection and choices are more complicated and plentiful. Or perhaps I'm unconsciously considering this may be my last vehicle purchase. Or several other factors and some combination of all the above. I just can't seem to make a decision. I really hate this new part of me. I want to be able to make a solid decision so that I don't have buyer's remorse on such a large purchase. But I'm getting tired of this analysis paralysis. When did I become so indecisive? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | ||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
Who knows, but being retired could be a factor. Q | |||
|
A Grateful American![]() |
The structure (external enviornment) your mind used as the framework to build your mental processing is gone. Now everything is scattered all over the floor of you mind. People that are high functioning mentally adept naked flaming cat jugglers, built the "processing machine" out of a need to solve many complex problems quickly. You just are not aware that the structure (your work the enviornment the challenges, the input and all that, are missing). The machine tries to run, but everything that was used to facilitate the machine's process is gone. You have the "engine", but is is partially disassembled and no vehicle nor the other componets available. It's a perishing skill, and you stopped using it like you did most of the time. Sleeping or awake. It is a struggle. I had this (internal) conversation years ago when I realized I forgot "how to ride the bicycle"... "the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד | |||
|
Invest Early, Invest Often![]() |
Been there.....too much available information. | |||
|
| No, not like Bill Clinton ![]() |
It should come down to which one you enjoy driving | |||
|
| Page late and a dollar short |
For one thing the automotive world has turned upside down in my opinion post GM bankruptcy era. It’s not just GM, it’s all of the domestic three. Manufacturers only care about their dealerships and dealerships only care about profits and moving tin. Once the manufacturer or the dealer sees taillights they don’t care. And don’t get me started on the corporate owned dealerships/dealer groups owning several dealerships. At that point it becomes nothing but a balance sheet, customers and employees of those become collateral damage. Used to be. Dealer would listen to a complaint and usually act upon it. Today dealership management will say “Cool story bro. Next please) Quality has gone downhill. Look at GM’s 6.2 gas engine failures and the amount of time it’s taking to fix those vehicles. JL Jeeps and body corrosion, repairs UNDER WARRANTY from what I read ha gone from panel replacement to finish and paint, sometimes requiring the vehicle to pay a portion of repairs. Ford, haven’t heard much but their “engineering” speaks for itself, things like water pumps being put inside (!) the engine make me wonder who the hell ok’s garbage like this? I’m seriously concerned what I’m going to do as my ‘12 Wrangler has 162k on it. That purchase was made while I was still working in a GM dealership. Bought that because I wanted a true 4WD vehicle and not a minivan wannabe. I did briefly look into getting a JL Unlimited this year as the four doors would be a help with the grandkids. One thing I hate living here is rust/corrosion. With the JL corrosion problems and Jeep’s “so what?” attitude it became a no brainer for me to keep my JK and have the corrosion fixed instead. But, I’m just putting off the inevitable. GM, completely off the radar due to product lineup, the 6.2 debacle and the back order/ no parts available scenario becoming commonplace with them. , I’m looking at Toyota for my next vehicle. -------------------------------------—————— ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman) | |||
|
| Member |
If this might be your last vehicle, get exactly what you want. Don't settle. I have a Ridgeline (22) and it is a great vehicle. However, I can count on one hand the number of times I used it to haul things that would not fit into a sedan. When the Ridgeline disappears off Dealer lots next spring (Honda pausing production on Ridgelines in November and will not build/offer a 2027 model), I may sell/trade for a car. (either an Accord or Camry hybrid) | |||
|
| Member |
With regards to cars and trucks, it is because they have all been made undesirable in one one another ways. Expensive, unreliable, surveillance platforms | |||
|
| Member |
One of my pet peeves is homelink built into the car (not standalone battery in the rear view mirror which can be stolen / removed from the car and used to open the garage). Why isn’t standard on all vehicles, at least those over $25k. Really, a $40k RAV4 doesn’t have homelink???? Seriously??? Stupid shit like this makes me question car maker logic and what other short cuts they do which we don’t see. "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
Comes with the panoramic moonroof or XSE or Limited RAV4, so $42K on up. But I understand your frustration. There always seems to be one feature I want that is part of a $4k+ package of things I don’t want. It’s like they do it on purpose to make more money or something. BTW, indecision is a choice.This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189, | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
You ought to write a program or create a spreadsheet. Features you want, and a weight for each feature. Disadvantages too, e.g. cost, and a weight for each disadvantage. Then characteristics of vehicles which you’ve researched. The program or spreadsheet might produce an answer. But just the exercise might clarify your thoughts. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
Member![]() |
Please consider these principles… 1. Seek true joy in any choice 2. Recognize a blessing when it is presented 3. Know that decisions are not forever Delays or doubts in decisions are deleterious. I chose a MINI to have a completely joyful experience when driving. It is impractically small, yet bodaciously quick. It sips fuel, and simulates a touring motorbike. Every day it rewards me. I was looking for a baitcasting rod, a good one, and in the rack was a rod with an on sale tag. 50% off. What made it a blessing? It was the pinnacle of technology. Do I need it? No. Is it a blessing? Yes. I was convinced that a certain bolt action was perfect, bought it, and realized later it really wasn’t. I sold at a loss. I am shopping for its replacement now. Validate all assumptions before acting on them. “I need a truck” is an assumption. Is it valid? Being without a truck myself for the past three months, after twenty years with a truck, I can say my need for a truck is zero. Would I like a truck? Yes, but it is not a need. Expectations lead to experiences. If you expect to make “the” right choice, you will experience self-critical condemnation. I can’t decide. I don’t know. What about that one? What other information do I need? But I could… Change your expectations. Say to yourself “I’m a good decider. I made good decisions for years. Now I will make good decisions for me and mine. You know what, today is a good day to buy a car.”This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R, ------- Trying to simplify my life... | |||
|
| Member |
This is my solution for your problem. Unfortunately it's no longer in production but they are available used. As for why. 0-60 mph in 6.4 seconds. Top Speed is 143 mph and it will hit 100 fast enough to get you in lots of trouble because all you were doing was making a "quick pass". Because it can be very easy to underestimate how fast you are going. Cornering is very nearly perfectly balanced, meaning all 4 tires break loose at nearly the same instant. Good news is that there is a small amount of trailing throttle oversteer so if you have mildly overcooked a corner lifting off the throttle will tighten the turn as you scrub off enough speed to get the front end to bite. The light 2720 lbs curb weight means it responds so quickly you may think it read your mind. On a very tight and twisty road like "Tail of the Dragon" you can tailgait a Porsche GT3 and drive him stark raving nuts. They are ONLY available with a 6 speed manual. Downside is that it's a Ford. I've stopped counting. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
The problem with The Tail of the Dragon is you only get to use second gear. But talking about analysis paralysis, I'm looking at Mustangs and holy cow it's not simple. I'd be happy with an EcoBoost Mustang with the High Performance Package and manual transmission. Ford dropped the manual for the Ecoboost for 2024, dropped the High Performance Package for the Ecoboost for 2025. So GT then, but the non-premium Mustangs have two tablets glued to the dash which looks incredibly bad. OK, premiumm GT, with manual, and Performance Package, but the Dark Horse is only $2k more. And that's how you go from $35k, to $65k in 4.2 seconds. Even foregoing the manual, the EcoBoost doesn't get paddle shifters without the High Performance Package which again was only offered in 2024 of which there are 2 for sale in the entire USA. One was a lemon buy back and not a premium model while the other is a private seller in Texas so it's not like I can look it over really well without condsiderable expense. There might be a 3rd, but it's in Hawaii. That's when I start looking at another GLI. I've found a few new for around $31k plus tax.This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189, | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

