SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Medicare ads - are they false and misleading? or is it just me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare ads - are they false and misleading? or is it just me. Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted
Joe Namath and all his cronies pitching the 'call and get the benefits you're missing' Has anyone ever called and checked on these claims? I just applied for my social security and I can assure you the guy helping me at the SS office DID NOT offer me any inflated benefits, etc.

I think these ads are a way for a company to fleece the elderly (pay them a fee) to get these alleged "benefits"

Am I wrong??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
False and misleading - not so much but in general it is the nature of advertising attract attention.

When we see a "lot" of ads that we are not interested in or not applicable we get annoyed.

Intentionally trying to "fleece" someone aka Joe Namath is not accurate.

So yes, I would categorize you as wrong, IMO.

It's just an ad.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think these ads are a way for a company to fleece the elderly (pay them a fee) to get these alleged "benefits"

The ads do have a lot of hyperbole. But what you describe would be outright fraud, a criminal offense. I don't believe that. The real question should be - as with any insurance - how much benefit you get versus cost. Also, if I were to buy such insurance, it would be through a legitimate insurance company or licensed agent/broker, not from Joe Namath, Jimmie Walker or even William Shatner.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
They're commercials for medicare advantage programs that are all in one - hospital, doctors, prescriptions and then some like dental benefits, money in your pocket, etc.

The companies offering these plans and spending money for the advertising aren't doing so out of charity but to make a profit. Companies make a profit when money coming in is greater than money coming out. The government isn't going to pay more to them than the government pays to any other plan and since they're supposedly not taking money from you, it's only one other thing they can manage to make sure money coming in is greater than money coming out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
William Devane has now started to shill for some plan. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, these are for Medicare Advantage plans, not traditional Medicare.
If you're not already there, just read and choose carefully when you are approaching that age.
Lot's of Sharks in those waters, often represented by old washed up old actors and athletes out to make few more bucks off their names.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The only thing I find misleading is the plethora of robo callers live and otherwise that try to make you think that they are the Government and Medicare.
They may not outright say it but the intention is there, coming from the salesman not the company ads.
I don't care if an older actor wants to promote.
It is their profession and perfectly legitimate.
No need to bash them for making a living. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of those extra benefits are really Medicaid benefits for real low income Seniors. They make it seem like anyone qualifies for them. No, just real low income ppl who get food stamps and are below poverty line. For example, the getting meals delivered I bet would be Meals on Wheels. They just give you the push in that direction.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The ads I see are very misleading. They make them look like official Medicare ads, but if you pay attention to the fine print you read these ads/companies have nothing to do with the government.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well some are on the border of being dishonest. The government has been cracking down on them. The Government pays these plans on a monthly basis for your participation. They make more if you never go to the doctor or take medication. It is called a capitated system and these monies are the bread and butter for Cigna, Aetna and United Healthcare.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also control which doctors you can see and which hospitals you can use, as well as making decisions on when you are sick enough to be admitted or treated as an outpatient. A friend, who works for a hospital, as the go between the patient and their insurance company, has always said to avoid Medicare Advantage plans like the plague.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I believe he’s pushing gold investment.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I believe he’s pushing gold investment.

He's now also doing a Medicare Advantage plan ad besides that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"It's DYN-O-MITE! Call nee-owwwww!" That shtick was stupid 45 years ago, let alone now.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If the idea of owning a timeshare appeal’s to you, these may also.
They are marketing to the same thought process.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I checked my ZIP code.

It is the same one that is at the Post Office.

Where is my free shit?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out the big deal with medicare and the supplements... it's all about various 'insurance' companies getting more government money.. I got another letter from my supplement carrier about how I could get $100 a month of 'free' stuff from a pharmacy.... nothing in this world is free.. after I go and pick it all up, somebody has to pay for it... they pay the pharmacy for the items, submit a bill to the feds for this "free' stuff.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Pension plan requires that I choose a plan from some outfit (called Alight) they got in bed with so I can get a reimbursement on health care costs. Some of these plans touted a free gym membership. So I checked around to see if that actually was true. Nope. All bullshit.
The only business that actually participated in the free "gym" program was a dance studio that had a once a week senior dance class. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I finally figured out the big deal with medicare and the supplements... it's all about various 'insurance' companies getting more government money.. I got another letter from my supplement carrier about how I could get $100 a month of 'free' stuff from a pharmacy.... nothing in this world is free.. after I go and pick it all up, somebody has to pay for it... they pay the pharmacy for the items, submit a bill to the feds for this "free' stuff.

I think everybody gets the same amount from the government; it's just a matter of what kind of shiny objects can they offer you while they increase their profit by cutting expenses elsewhere from your benefits.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a testimony to advertising MA plans continue to grow. It does hit the fan when folks try to switch to regular Medicare and the supplemental insurance wont take them. Traveling out of state is a problem as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post