SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Some smokers are rude and inconsiderate!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some smokers are rude and inconsiderate! Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Mind if I smoke?
I don't know, mind if I fart?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After decades in manufacturing I do not recall any fire that wasn't cased by a smoker and an errant cigarette butt. When driving to work in the early morning, nothing gets the road rage going like seeing a lit cigarette flying out the window of another vehicle.

Do smokers understand they are dealing with fire? And that throwing fire on the ground, trash, or air can cause other things to catch fire? The entire DGAF attitude wears thin...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I've driven down the road and could smell the cigarette smoke coming from the car ahead of me. Disgusting and stupid habit!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've smoked since I was 16 and I'm 54 now.
I smoke in my car but I don't throw the butts out the window. I have one of the portable ashtrays in my car.
I don't smoke in my house, I'll go outside or in the attached garage when it gets shitty out. Some may waft in when I open the door on the garage but not much.
At work, there's one of the cigarette receptacles outside and that's where I put my butts at after it's out.
I know it's a bad habit, I know it smells but I try to do everything I can to not make a mess or smoke in front of non smokers.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
LoboGunLeather, as an ex-smoker of 40 years (quit in 2010), I understand and agree with every point in your rant.

As do I.

I quit in '97, and while the smell of cigarette smoke nauseates me nowadays, I am vehemently opposed to government mandated anti-smoking statutes.

My only exception would be on airplanes where you don't have the choice to go somewhere else.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I've driven down the road and could smell the cigarette smoke coming from the car ahead of me. Disgusting and stupid habit!

(I did play briefly with cigarette smoking some 40 years ago.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There is a private road into a lot I have out in the country. One day I come out to go home and there are six or eight workers from a Verizon contractor parked in front of the lot.

They must have been there for a while since there were cigarette butts everywhere. I ask them what they were doing and that they need to clean up the butts.

I had to put a cable across the driveway years ago to keep people from parking in the driveway. I did catch one GTE person taking a nap after he ate his lunch and threw the trash on the ground.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Why is it that Smokers don't think of throwing their butts everywhere as Litter ?

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
There is an LJS/KFC in the next city over. In the past we ate there maybe monthly. Suprising how the management of a place can make it or break it. So a year or so ago they got a new manager. A mean black woman. As we were leaving one day she was outside and I pointed out to her all the butts in the flower bed. She said "wadda want me to do 'bout it". So I told her to watch her employees because they were the litters. She clearly didn't care.

makes me wonder what the kitchen looks like

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care if people smoke . Your body , your habit . What I have a problem with is those inconsiderate assholes that throw the butts on the ground for somebody else to clean up . What makes a cigarette butt different than any other piece of trash ? Do they think that it's going to burn up and disappear ? The paper and filters are treated to NOT burn by themselves . Filters have a life expectancy measured in decades . Dispose of your butt in a responsible manner .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I was finding cigarette buttes on my property that weren't even put out. You could see the ash where they continued to burn.

I finally found out who it was when they came out of the driveway without stopping and about hit me. In the process, they throw the cigarette out the window. I went back looking for it and was the same brand I had found earlier, White Pine Menthol.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Why is it that Smokers don't think of throwing their butts everywhere as Litter ?

In US Army basic training (1968) I was trained to field-strip my cigarette butts, extinguish the fire, roll up the remains and put it in my pocket for proper disposal in a trash can.

I have continue that practice for the past 53 years. More than once I have been braced by anti-tobacco Nazis lecturing me on cigarette butts on the ground, and I have pulled my properly field-stripped residue out of my pocket to demonstrate that I was not the culprit they assumed I was.

The vilification of smokers has become so common that it is an accepted practice. Even here (a forum strongly supportive of individual liberties and responsibilities) the comments on this issue drip with contempt for those who choose to continue using tobacco products, an entirely lawful exercise of personal liberty.

What will be the next focus of the thought police? Who will be the next target? Hint: You don't have to support tobacco use to support the right of other people to decide for themselves, but if you will not support the rights of others you should expect no support when you come under the heavy boots.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
The vilification of smokers has become so common that it is an accepted practice. Even here (a forum strongly supportive of individual liberties and responsibilities) the comments on this issue drip with contempt for those who choose to continue using tobacco products, an entirely lawful exercise of personal liberty.

What is considered popular with the popular clique is all that matters, and smoking, man it just ain't popular.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love the line they give you when you ask one of them not to smoke around you? " I don't see why it bothers you. It doesn't bother me." That was my dad's favorite line.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:

In US Army basic training (1968) I was trained to field-strip my cigarette butts, extinguish the fire, roll up the remains and put it in my pocket for proper disposal in a trash can.

I have continue that practice for the past 53 years. More than once I have been braced by anti-tobacco Nazis lecturing me on cigarette butts on the ground, and I have pulled my properly field-stripped residue out of my pocket to demonstrate that I was not the culprit they assumed I was.

What will be the next focus of the thought police? Who will be the next target? Hint: You don't have to support tobacco use to support the right of other people to decide for themselves, but if you will not support the rights of others you should expect no support when you come under the heavy boots.

I don't doubt that you have had that happen to you, and don't deserve the criticism.

But I don't think anyone here intends that. This is a person who smoked, without permission, in someone else's vehicle. I am sure it was obvious that no one else had smoked in it. In this day and age, all smokers are aware that most places are no-smoking zones, and any with even a normal amount sensitivity should assume they shouldn't smoke inside a building or vehicle without permission.

That is the gripe, as I read it. Not the smoking per se, but the smoking in the tractor without asking.

I used to smoke, and still enjoy a smoke once in a while, but I wouldn't smoke anywhere I wasn't sure where it was acceptable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nazis
culprit
vilification
drip with contempt
thought police
the heavy boots.

If you read back, you're the only one using language like this.

quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
1 considerate smoker weighs in with his own perspective and he's called overly sensitive. Good stuff. Razz

Yeah. Totally doesn't seem oversensitive.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I guess I have been put in my proper place. I will shut up now and let all the truly better people continue this nice discussion.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will shut up now and let all the truly better people continue this nice discussion.

I’m telling you, you’re seeing and feeling disdain that isn’t there.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flow and flavor of this thread is similar to when those few guests who are also 2nd Amendment advocates have appeared on television shows like "The View."

Posts: 33 | Location: Upper Connecticut River Valley | Registered: May 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You watch THE VIEW??

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post