SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    TV programs getting pre-empted for "breaking news"

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
TV programs getting pre-empted for "breaking news" Login/Join 
posted
Fox News Channel has the Wall Street Journal Editorial Report every Saturday 2-3PM. Except when they don't. Like today, when they're showing regular news awaiting results of the DNC chair vote and a straw poll at CPAC.

REALLY?? Those are breaking news???

/rant mode off/

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A few weeks back, when Flynn resigned, I was watching something on NBC. A crawler appeared at the bottom of the screen reporting the breaking news that he had done so.

I can understand if a president gets shot or someone touches off a nuke over Oklahoma, but somebody resigning from a government job?

Ooooookay. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I remember what "breaking news" used to be. Sadat assassinated. Chernobyl exploded. Soviets shot down a Korean airliner.

Now it's pretty much the equivalent of telling us a Kardashian has a pimple on its ass.

Fake news to promote a progressive narrative.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was Jeff Foxworthy who did a bit about how as a kid the President would come on and preempt the programming on every channel he could get... all three of them.

At least now we can tune to an infomercial about a kitchen appliance we don't need when that happens.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2063 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And why does every frickin rain storm need a breaking news interruption that lasts 20 minutes?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
And why does every frickin rain storm need a breaking news interruption that lasts 20 minutes?

Yeah, the breaking news story lasts longer than the rainstorm.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Remember the Gemini 8 flight in 1966. Ten hours into the mission they had to abort and make an emergency landing off Okinawa. The networks broke in during the early evening.

What followed was a huge uproar. The networks prempted all programming. That included "Batman!" The horror!

For the rest of the evening all the TV would show was a model or the talking heads. The same things were said over and over, and over. It wasn't that until the next day that the details came out.

There was no reason not to return to regular programming. Just the network executives didn't was to bite the bullet and pull the plug. Every time there's "breaking news" I question why they could run a tape at the bottom.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I think it was Jeff Foxworthy who did a bit about how as a kid the President would come on and preempt the programming on every channel he could get... all three of them.

At least now we can tune to an infomercial about a kitchen appliance we don't need when that happens.

Oh my God we're gonna miss Flipper!!!

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Do y'all remember JFK Junior's plane crash?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Report This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
That said it's all about who can do it the most/ratings. Incidentally I fell the same about sports that I could are less about, not only bad enough they preempt programs that I normally watch but they do an hour or pre game garbage talk and an hour post game drivel.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

posted Hide Post
quote:

+1, See the hooks, the storm is approaching Turtle Corner (where?) in 7 min.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4246 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Report This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
The continuous, never ending Fox news alerts and breaking news is a complete joke and the worst of all, in my opinion. It happens so often on Fox that I have become oblivious to it.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

+1, See the hooks, the storm is approaching Turtle Corner (where?) in 7 min.

The people living in Turtle Corner (all 21 of them) want to know that. I live in eastern Iowa (Davenport) where nasty t-storms and sometimes tornadoes are common in the summer months. The local stations go into full Doppler mode, and I gotta admit it's nice to see exactly where the funnel cloud is.

Do I care about Turtle Corner? Well, no. But I doubt they care about Davenport either.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
Do y'all remember JFK Junior's plane crash?

Yup. And I told my family then that if I EVER went down, they had better DEMAND that every DOD agency be redeployed to look for me with the same fervor and urgency as they did for him.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
The continuous, never ending Fox news alerts and breaking news is a complete joke and the worst of all, in my opinion. It happens so often on Fox that I have become oblivious to it.

That started with 9/11 and continues to this day....I wish they would just STOP! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not breaking news unless I can see it from my deck.
When I see the National Guard walking up our street I will muster a modicum of concern.
We haven't had a tv for about 5 years now.
I have no idea how I have survived this long without "breaking news".
I hope my luck holds out.

posted Hide Post
And every " weather event " gets a name . Does it really matter if that 4 inch snowstorm is called Josephine ? Looks good on the Crawler I guess .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post