SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    S&W Pro Series 1911 non-functioning safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Pro Series 1911 non-functioning safety Login/Join 
posted
LGS has a S&W Pro Series 1911. Safety doesn't work. Cocked, locked, pull trigger, bang. Straight from the factory. How lame is that? "All mechanical things can fail" is a valid excuse for mechanical things; not for S&W QC. I think it's ridiculous, and it drives me nuts to know that things like that, especially on "Pro" Series items, are making it past QC.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the dealer is sending it back to S&W.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration. I had a nib S&W 1911 years ago and mine went semi-full auto at the range. While I was shooting it, 3 rounds went off with a single trigger pull but fortunately I was able to keep all rounds on target. The range master heard something funny as well and we were both bewildered by it. I put a couple more rounds in the magazine and fired it again,to see if it would do it again-per the range masters suggestion. Sure enough, both rounds fired with a single trigger pull. We laughed and he said congrats on your full auto pistol. I obviously sent it back to S&W and they said it was a bad trigger bow, that caused the sear to get stuck on occasion. I was always leery after that when shooting a 1911 pistol.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a beef with 1911s or S&W specifically, for me; it's the fact that anyone in this industry where we're all patriots, "have each other's back", and care about things like integrity and craftsmanship, that something like that makes it into a gun store counter at all. I know it's not isolated to any one or two brand(s); I almost wish it was.

posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine had a rock island 1911 slam fire a round right into the steering wheel of his newish truck. The steel ring in the steering wheel stopped it cold and it woulda went right into the all digital dash display if it kept going. He was reloading it for ccw after shooting it at a friends house. Rock island took care of him but that’s the thing that ultimately made me decide to get a g20 over the rock island 10mm.
Best part about it was that his wife never found out

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to manufacturing during COVID. People off work due to quarantine, people not willing to work due to excessive unemployment benefits. Trainees put on jobs they don't know how to do because there's no one else available. It's a mess and we are seeing the results.

A non-functional manual safety on a 1911 is absolutely unacceptable. A basic function check would have caught it. This is not just a "quality" issue. This could get someone killed who bought their first gun and didn't know it was defective.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve had to send back 2 performance center smith revolvers (a 642 and a 460) in the past year because they did nothing. The trigger didn’t work, the cylinder wouldn’t open, the hammer on the 460 wouldn’t cock back. They were completely locked up… Luckily smith puts their serial numbers on the inside of the frame so you have to open the cylinder to see them otherwise I would have never noticed until I was trying to sell to someone.

Smith took care of them, but still below are some quotes from smiths website about their performance center models. You can’t tell me anybody put any attention to detail or fine tuned them because they wouldn’t do ANYTHING. These are the first bad experiences we’ve had with smith products but I think they are just like every other business and they have covid to fall back on for producing a sub-par product.

“From hand cutting to fine tuning for precision, Performance Center firearms are top performers.”

“Whether you’re shooting a pistol, revolver, or rifle, you can be sure your Performance Center gun is made with a close attention to detail for your best shot yet.”

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post