SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windshield Replacement F-150
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield Replacement F-150 Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
It's an annoyance now,but the emergency braking might save you from severe injury one day.

Yes, times were simpler. But also, people died and permanently injured themselves way more before head restraints, airbags, seatbelts, collapsing steering wheels, crumple zones, ABS brakes, stability control, emergency assist braking etc.

Getting behind the wheel of a car is the single biggest risk to my lifestyle--both from the risk of injuring myself or my passengers and from the risk of financial ruin by gravely injuring someone else. I, for one, will always a) option a vehicle with every available safety feature, and b) all other things equal, opt for the bigger/heavier vehicle. (Provided that the driver aids are implemented in a manner that doesn't make the driver want to defeat them every time they get in the vehicle).

Additional cost and inconvenience of recalibrating the cameras for emergency braking is a price I will gladly pay to lessen the severity of an impending impact.

I'll take the opposing side on this one. My 2018 Challenger had all the whizbang safety features. So I'm driving down the road and the thing decides that my distance and closing speed on the car in front are "not good" and suddenly I've got lights flashing and beepers beeping telling me I need to brake NOW. I knew exactly what I was doing, and those flashing lights and noises were, IMO, enough of a distraction to become a greater hazard than the proximity to the other car. After that happened a couple times I turned most of those "features" off.

On a more general note, whenever I see car ads on TV touting the lane departure warnings and all the other "safety features", I feel like people are becoming way too dependent on technology and less on common sense, and it's going to get people killed. I'm reminded of an old joke about a guy being pulled from the wreckage of his expensive motor home by the fire dept. They ask him "What happened?" and he says "Damned if I know. I just turned on the cruise control and came back to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich, and the next thing I know the damn thing ran off the road!"

I certainly understand the opposing viewpoint. And to an extent, I agree. My father in law, for example, asked if my new Volvo had blind spot warnings on the mirrors--he said that he's so used to having them on his Lexus that it's difficult to drive without them. I gave him the blank stare, and told him that he's still supposed to TURN HIS HEAD and check his blind spot. every. single. time.

I will also mention that the implementation of the safety features varies greatly between vehicle manufacturers. Toyota and Subaru, for example, are constantly giving alerts--to the point that the alerts are not useful. Volvo and BMW, the alerts are much more subdued. My Volvo gives me a very subtle tactile feedback when I cross over a lane line without signaling--like the little resistance you would feel when you pull away from the curb and right right wheel transitions from concrete gutter to paved asphalt. It's nice.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not disputing only contextually opining...

Older cars had large and better view, over time pillars have become wider and occupants farther "inside" the compartment for safety, and that makes for greater occurrences of blind spots.

Couple with faster speeds, greater amount of traffic and more, and some safety features can benefit.

None of that is replacement for good driving skills, habits and attitude.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
All this safety stuff and other "bells and whistles" are great until you need them fixed.
quote:
Older cars had large and better view …

This was my first car back in the 1970s. 1966 Chrysler Newport - Bing Images

It was over 20 feet long (and a total POS, but that's another story), but you could see out of it, with all four corners easily visible through the greenhouse-like windows. Now every car has a high "bustle" profile in the rear or is a "crossover" with a small rear window and you have to have a backup camera to see out of them. My POV, a 2009 Toyota Corolla, not only has this problem, but with the low-sloping hood I can't see the front corners either. 2009 Toyota Corolla I won't even try to parallel-park it.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

my first car . . . 1966 Chrysler Newport
They don't make 'em like that anymore. Smile

My first was a 1950 Studebaker Champion. Six years old when I bought it for $150

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:... Six years old when I bought it for $150

You didn't by that car when you were six years old... Your time machine will be broken then, remember?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Challenger has almost no visibility out the back or side windows. I am glad it has sensors covering all the blind spots. I test them often to make they are fully functional. The crossing traffic system that alerts you when backing out of a parking space, works well!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:... Six years old when I bought it for $150
You didn't by that car when you were six years old... Your time machine will be broken then, remember?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was my first car back in the 1970s. 1966 Chrysler Newport

I had one that was a 68. With the back seat out, you could put 8 foot lumber in the trunk and close the trunk. If it didn't have the X cross braces, you could have loaded 4x8 plywood.

While I replace the rear- end with a 273, I still only got 19 MPG on the highway with the 383 engine

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
In Alaska aren't windshields a disposable item? I'd think they would keep them in stock. Wink

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least it’s not the back windshield. Those cost 900 bucks if it’s a power opening one. I found that out when I was tossing a lawnmower trailer in the back of my truck to take to the dump and sent the tongue of the thing into my back window. Literally 3 days after I took the headache rack off it which woulda totally protected it.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post