SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windshield Replacement F-150
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield Replacement F-150 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So sitting here in the lobby of Speedy Glass waiting on the windshield to be replaced in my 2019 Ford F-150. Scheduled it last week and asked if the truck was equipped with Lane Departure Warning. Told them that it wasn’t and scheduled the replacement for this morning.

Check in, give the the keys and sit down.

Mr Miller is your truck equipped with Lane Departure Warning?

No.

Well it turns out my truck is equipped with Emergency Braking Application which I knew and turns out it uses the same windshield as the Lane Departure Warning equipped trucks to accommodate the camera behind the windshield.

We’re going to have to reorder the windshield and reschedule.

Greeeeeeeat.

Nope, we’ve got one in back we ordered for someone else, we’ll install it in yours and reorder for them.

Ok, cool.

We’re going to need it for half the day to recalibrate the camera.

Greeeeeeeeat.

So it’s -2 degrees out, but looks like I’ll be trekking down the street a little later for lunch at Garcia’s to help kill time. Meanwhile I’m longing for the simplicity of my 1996 F-150 with the straight six and a manual transmission with no electronic nannies.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I hear that. I'm pretty sure my next vehicle will be from the 80s, and I don't think I'll ever venture newer than that.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well if it's of any consolation; it's almost 80 degrees here.Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of jerk offs.

They should have ordered you the correct one and replaced it when the weather was warmer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Don't feel too bad. I had to wait 6 weeks for a replacement windshield to come in for my 4Runner.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I can understand your frustration. I had to wait 6 weeks for my replacement windshield for my 4Runner to come in.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My local glass shop stocks OEM glass for Jk Wranglers. For you non Jeep people there is a grille graphic forward of the rear view mirror and a stylized Jeep climbing a hill in the right lower corner, a little thing but we Jeep people can be a bit “off”.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
What a bunch of jerk offs.

They should have ordered you the correct one and replaced it when the weather was warmer.

I really can't be upset with the local shop. I have a feeling the 3rd party vendor State Farm uses for glass replacement was the one that didn't dig deep enough to know the correct part number. Thankful they had another one they were able to, "Aquire" one to get the job done. Living in Alaska anytime we hear, "We need to order it..." knows that it's going to be expensive and take longer.

There's also 6 different windshields for a 2019 F-150 which I find ridiculous. They also said they're unable to replace windshields in the trucks equipped with the 360 degree camera system.

As far as waiting for the weather to be warmer, well that might be in the spring...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a side note. I had a shop give away a part I had ordered to someone else.

They ordered the wrong part for them and hoped mine came in before my appointment. Nope.

Be grateful your on the receiving end.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I was having a windshield replace when the tech came out and apologized. Seems the packing rubbed against the windshield and there was a mark. He offered a big discount if I wanted to keep it.
Went out and looked. High on the right corner, in the tinted area, there’s a cloudy area. No scratch, no crack, just a small cloud. Oh hell yes I’ll take it.
Nice to know the shop took prided in their work.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I do ok until single digits, then start saying it’s cold. An honest -2 is plenty cold. At least it got fixed.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My newest truck is a 2006 Tundra. For that, I am eternally grateful.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It's an annoyance now,but the emergency braking might save you from severe injury one day.

Yes, times were simpler. But also, people died and permanently injured themselves way more before head restraints, airbags, seatbelts, collapsing steering wheels, crumple zones, ABS brakes, stability control, emergency assist braking etc.

Getting behind the wheel of a car is the single biggest risk to my lifestyle--both from the risk of injuring myself or my passengers and from the risk of financial ruin by gravely injuring someone else. I, for one, will always a) option a vehicle with every available safety feature, and b) all other things equal, opt for the bigger/heavier vehicle. (Provided that the driver aids are implemented in a manner that doesn't make the driver want to defeat them every time they get in the vehicle).

Additional cost and inconvenience of recalibrating the cameras for emergency braking is a price I will gladly pay to lessen the severity of an impending impact.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
All the crashes I have experienced were from the rear.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took Safelite 3 tries to get the proper replacement F150 windshield in when I had to get mine replaced.

I really don't like using them. Their quality has gone down.

Posts: 473 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

And, in each of those experiences, someone experienced a forward collision that could have benefitted from automatic emergency braking.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

And, in each of those experiences, someone experienced a forward collision that could have benefitted from automatic emergency braking.
Not all of them. A distracted parent backed into the rear of my vehicle in a parking lot. No "forward collision" involved. I watched it happen as I was walking out of the grocery store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I have the same truck, same year with the emergency braking system. I too, had my windshield replaced earlier this year. It took them only two hours or so to complete the job. It’s possible they overstated the time required to avoid disappointing customers. You may be done earlier than anticipated!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I think vehicles should have all safety equipment removed and require the use of a Tullock spike. They would be both cheaper and safer immediately.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
It's an annoyance now,but the emergency braking might save you from severe injury one day.

Yes, times were simpler. But also, people died and permanently injured themselves way more before head restraints, airbags, seatbelts, collapsing steering wheels, crumple zones, ABS brakes, stability control, emergency assist braking etc.

Getting behind the wheel of a car is the single biggest risk to my lifestyle--both from the risk of injuring myself or my passengers and from the risk of financial ruin by gravely injuring someone else. I, for one, will always a) option a vehicle with every available safety feature, and b) all other things equal, opt for the bigger/heavier vehicle. (Provided that the driver aids are implemented in a manner that doesn't make the driver want to defeat them every time they get in the vehicle).

Additional cost and inconvenience of recalibrating the cameras for emergency braking is a price I will gladly pay to lessen the severity of an impending impact.

I'll take the opposing side on this one. My 2018 Challenger had all the whizbang safety features. So I'm driving down the road and the thing decides that my distance and closing speed on the car in front are "not good" and suddenly I've got lights flashing and beepers beeping telling me I need to brake NOW. I knew exactly what I was doing, and those flashing lights and noises were, IMO, enough of a distraction to become a greater hazard than the proximity to the other car. After that happened a couple times I turned most of those "features" off.

On a more general note, whenever I see car ads on TV touting the lane departure warnings and all the other "safety features", I feel like people are becoming way too dependent on technology and less on common sense, and it's going to get people killed. I'm reminded of an old joke about a guy being pulled from the wreckage of his expensive motor home by the fire dept. They ask him "What happened?" and he says "Damned if I know. I just turned on the cruise control and came back to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich, and the next thing I know the damn thing ran off the road!"

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post