SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dress shirts with no pocket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dress shirts with no pocket Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Two pockets for me now or it's a no go.
Then again, I don't wear many true dress shirts and a suit and tie's been a no go for many years.

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My bride, God rest her soul, bought me some “cute” dress shirts with no pockets. After she passed away, I donated them to the poors.

Posts: 27195 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
You've got to have at least one picket to hold your cigars.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5319 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cowboy dress shirts have lots of pockets and rhinestones.
I have NEVER seed a dress shirt with no pockets. I also hate tab collars.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wore one like that to church today. No place to hold your Ricola cough drops when throat goes dry.

Posts: 3428 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In days gone by when suits and sports coats were required, I much preferred French cuffs and collar stays in my shirts. And yes the brands I favored always had a chest pocket. Smile

Addendum
Just for giggles I looked at what was currently available. Mmmm...very few French Cuff / collar stay shirts have front pockets any more.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I have NEVER seed a dress shirt with no pockets.
Most of the business type shirts that I wore to work with suit or blazer were smooth front (no pocket).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Perhaps an age difference. What do you with your pens? My Dad always wore a suit and tie to work. I did briefly until I came to the South and the only folks wearing a suit and tie were attorneys.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lttle research here:
Dress shirts with no pockets - Generally preferred by the corporate Wall Street types.
I do remember the etiquette of keeping the coat on until you are in your office. When I lived in San Antonio it was too damn hot and so I stopped wearing a suit when the Bosses did. Only attorneys wore one when going to Court. Still wore a tie for a few more years.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

A lttle research here:
Dress shirts with no pockets - Generally preferred by the corporate Wall Street types.
Hah! I was not a corporate Wall Street type; I was an engineer type. When I started at Bell Labs in 1960, the atmosphere there was old-timey professional; men wore suits, maybe removed jacket while sitting at their desk. I preferred shirts without pockets because I never carried anything in my shirt pocket, and I just thought that the shirt looked better without the unnecessary (and never used) pocket.

The rare female engineer wore a dress or blouse & skirt and moderate heels. Female secretaries and clerks dressed similarly, but typically a bit dressier than the engineers.

It wasn't until the big fuel crisis -- I don't remember the exact year -- that an official company announcement was made, informing us that heating and air conditioning systems would be adjusted for energy conservation and we were directed to dress for comfort. That was the beginning of "business casual" for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I probably own a dozen Carhart pocket T's in various colors . It's my standard wear every day .

Yup, Carhartt T's and shirts are my go to as well. My inventory is probably close to yours.

How can a guy go thru life without pockets? Seriously, I don't understand.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
When my job went business casual my "uniform" was khakis and blue button down dress shirts with a pocket. The pocket for a pen and a small wallet with business card, a space pen and my ID. I didn't stand out and I always had a sport coat and tie in my office in case of impromptu meetings.

Yep, I am a nerd and an anachronist who used notebooks, pens and pencils to take notes.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dillards Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label. I have to wear white dress shirts for work and these come with a pocket and can be had in slim, fitted, or regular fit. Pinpoint, button down, French cuff, etc in various colors. Removable collar stays (plastic) that I replace with metal.

100% cotton and they come in neck and sleeve sizes instead of s/m/l/xl. I get over two years worth of daily wear with heavy laundering at home. They’d last longer if I would get more disciplined about hanging them to dry. Our dryer has different heat settings but it runs hot.

They are 55.00 a shirt and can be found on clearance as low as 17.00.

I wear pinpoint, fitted 17x35 and can’t find a better fit. My Tyrwhitt shirts don’t have enough shoulder and seem to run small size wise.

Posts: 41 | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't want any button-up shirt without at LEAST one pocket! I need it for my reading glasses, and a pen. That's just me though...

Posts: 4810 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Shirt pockets can be handy & practical, but there are dress shirts, and there are dress shirts. If you're dressing for a formal occasion where you want to look your best, then the correct answer is 'no pocket'.

Extra pockets are for work or play. Have you ever seen a tuxedo shirt w/ a pocket? Would you want cargo pockets on formal suit pants?

Posts: 3278 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Have Dillard's near me so will have to watch for a sale. Same goes for the 5.11 Gunner shirt.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Would you want cargo pockets on formal suit pants?

One of the US Senators from the Commonwealth of PA would love this. Of course his formal suit is currently a hoodie and shorts so it may be a step up.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I like pockets for phone, sun glasses, etc. It is getting harder to find shirts with pockets.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post