SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dress shirts with no pocket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dress shirts with no pocket Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
wtf? When did this become a thing? You gotta look hard to find one with a pocket. 10 years since I retired and pockets disappear?

Is it because no one smokes cigarettes anymore (except in NC)? By the way, have you noticed how cigarettes and marijuana have changed places?

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Doesn't bother me one bit. I can't remember any time in the past several decades that I have put anything in the pocket of a dress shirt.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when dress code at work required "professional" attire and I had a hard time finding ready-made shirts that would fit me, I had my shirts made at The Custom Shop. Pockets were optional; I ordered my shirts without pockets.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pockets? You trying to steal something?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44508 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ha. Funny. When I used to wear dress shirts, I used to look far and wide to find them w/o pockets. Back then, I preferred shirts w/o pockets.

Now, I'm indifferent but don't usually wear dress shirts (maybe a few weeks per year). They are actually convenient for holding eyeglasses, train tickets and other immediate need items.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
wtf? When did this become a thing? You gotta look hard to find one with a pocket. 10 years since I retired and pockets disappear?
<snip>

I’m with you. I like to have a shirt pocket for my pen. Nordstrom occasionally has a dress shirt with a pocket.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I only buy shirts with chest pockets. Old fart here. In fact I purchased some 2 weeks ago.

I always keep with me, in my shirt pocket, a pocket notebook and a F701 pen, and that same pocket is very convenient for my cell phone. The pocket notebook and F701 pen are always used several times a day.

Works for me, and I don't give a rats bononkus what others think. I can put on a sport coat or blazer to hide it if I need to.

Both Dillard's and DXL have long sleeve dress shirts with chest pockets. Dillard's especially has a nice selection of quality shirts with pockets. Where are all y'all shopping that you can't find these???

Posts: 12003 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Check out the 5.11 dress shirts. I've become a fan, especially of their Gunner shirts.

Now, men's undies without a pee slit, that's a whole other deal. At least I'm FAIRLY sure they were men's...I did end up tossing them because it was too frustrating to take a piss.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I carry my phone in my shirt pocket but I have to find them with two pockets. I’m not supposed to carry my phone near my ICD. I kinda assume they’re typically on the left because reaching there with your right hand seems more natural. Single pockets on the right don’t exist. Some one needs to market shirts for lefties.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5728 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.americanscientist....the-pocket-protector

I think the pocket was necessary for the pocket protector? Haven't seen one of those in years.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul Fredrick still sells dress shirts with pockets.

With Charles Tyrwitt, the pocket is optional and costs $13. Still worth it when their shirts are on sale.

Posts: 6715 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own any kind of shirt, including summer T shirts, without a pocket. They are out there, you just gotta look.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Now, men's undies without a pee slit, that's a whole other deal. At least I'm FAIRLY sure they were men's...I did end up tossing them because it was too frustrating to take a piss.
I’ve been an “over the fence” guy for most of my adult life. No pee pee vent is fine with me.

As to a no-pocket dress shirt? No. Just…no.

A selection of Van Heusen and Stafford shirts at JC Penney…

https://www.jcpenney.com/g/men...TS_9&activeFacetId=8

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I wouldn't own any kind of shirt, including summer T shirts, without a pocket. They are out there, you just gotta look.
I probably own a dozen Carhart pocket T's in various colors . It's my standard wear every day .

Posts: 4294 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Wont wear any kind of shirt without a pocket.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did end up tossing them because it was too frustrating to take a piss.

You've never worn gym shorts or sweatpants? Big Grin

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I prefer a pocket on a dress shirt, as it's a great place to put business cards you receive during customer visits, or at the conclusion of a meeting, etc.

My biggest gripe however is that 'the new thing' is that many supposed dress shirts that do not have a button placket, resulting in a unfinished (and quite unprofessional) appearance for a 'dress shirt' IMO.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always worn shirts with front pocket, including t-shirts & dress shirts. Being an industrial hvac guy - always needed a pen & notepad to write down specs on motors or chillers, etc.

So used to writing stuff down, my co-workers always lose their mind when I take 2 minutes to copy down info vs. they just take a picture of the equipment tag with their phone. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1991 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

men's undies without a pee slit, that's a whole other deal. At least I'm FAIRLY sure they were men's...I did end up tossing them because it was too frustrating to take a piss.
I only buy Jockey or Munsingwear with a horizontal "kangaroo pouch" arrangement. Ambidextrous, for equal access, either hand.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I did end up tossing them because it was too frustrating to take a piss.

You've never worn gym shorts or sweatpants? Big Grin

Not on the daily. Plus, I don’t want to make sure I grab the one correct pair of undies for the specific pants I have on.

The ambidextrous style sounds interesting.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post