SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Removing a wheel, car vs BMW or Moto Guzzi motorcycle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a wheel, car vs BMW or Moto Guzzi motorcycle Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Car: jack up corner, remove 5 lug nuts pull wheel off.

BMW shaft drive motorcycle: lift bike on center stand, remove 5 lug nuts and pull wheel off.

Moto Guzzi shaft drive motorcycle: No center stand so pull up on lift and tie down front. Remove left and right muffler covers then mufflers themselves. Remove left shock. Go out and buy 32mm socket then return and loosen 32mm axle nut. Place small jack under rear frame member and raise back of bike up so tire is just touching. Pull axle out from the right just a little. Cover left swing arm with tape so brake caliper doesn't scratch it then wiggle brake caliper off and tie up out of the way. Push axle back in again. Raise bike up so tire is not touching. Wheel must be pulled off the final drive spline, which of course had little to no grease applied at the factory so is stuck. Use dead blow hammer repeatedly to pound against tire from the right slowly moving the wheel off the final drive spline but still on the axle. Lower back of bike so tire is just touching. Remove axle from the right completely. Jack rear of bike up a lot so the wheel will roll out the back under the fender and license bracket.

Done whining the old tire is off, wheel balanced ready for the new one. Then I get to repeat the above in reverse. Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of work. Bet it would've been a mountain of money at a shop.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23205 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about the wheel but I like your living room.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^ OP has turned a detached garage into a man cave

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23205 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
That's a lot of work. Bet it would've been a mountain of money at a shop.

It's sure a lot of work for me, but (especially this time of the year) I have the time so I don't mind. And I use the opportunity to check everything, change brake fluid, detail, etc. I know, paying $100+ per hour to a shop or dealer plus their retail price for the tires to do this would be quite expensive.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s either the nicest garage I’ve ever seen or somebody drove your motorcycles into your family room.

Posts: 7444 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but it's not the garage and my basic little house doesn't even have a family room. It's a separate little motorcycle room/shop/exercise room, structure I put up a few years ago.

posted Hide Post
You actually own a Guzzi? I spent 3 years in Italy and managed to talk a local into letting me ride his MG cop bike. Think Italian Harley.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Think Italian Harley.
Back when I was riding, I really wanted one of these:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Actually two Guzzi's, the one I'm working on is a California 1400. (The other is a V85TT.)
Prior to it they offered a California 1100 which I believe was used by some police. In 1970 Guzzi adapted their 850 touring bike to meet the requirements of California Highway Patrol who used them for a period. That's and is how this series got the name.
That was cool that you not to ride a Guzzi in Italy!

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Ahh the little small block V50, I love the classic styling with real fenders, flat seat, low tucked in exhaust, and standard riding position.
The small block motor has been changed many times over the years and is still offered, now at 850cc in the V85TT and a couple others.
Guzzi's big block began in 1967 as 700cc in what many now consider their iconic engine, 90* V-twin with longitude crank shaft and shaft drive. It was changed over the years and upped to 750, 850, 1100, 1200, and finally 1400cc before being discontinued around 2019 due not meeting Euro emissions.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I cant recall had you posted about this bike some time back but, when you get it back together, please post a couple photos. That is a gorgious piece of machinery. I've only seen pictures of them as a kid.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you David! Here it is intact before I started "working" on it. Smile

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It is an outstanding bike. I dont believe I've ever seen one on the road.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous-

Posts: 339 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat bikes. I had a '79 SP 1000 at one point that I got as a basket case. As the previous owner really messed it up, it moved along with becoming rideable, but it was a really interesting bike. Always wished I could have ridden it. Just too many broken/damaged/missing parts.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you David and Alyron!

M1 the old Guzzi's are kinda hard to find in good condition and if you do are pretty $$$ but there plenty of newer ones you can pick up!

Here I am back around 1975 on my first Guzzi, a 1973 V7 Sport.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
well at least if you get tired in the middle of that work you have a nice recliner to sit back and have a cold one on and contemplate your next move.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL that does happen Blume!