SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bully Merger Gets A Lesson On The Law
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bully Merger Gets A Lesson On The Law Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Not my video, but the police actually wait on the gore for some impatient asshole to cross it to bully their way in on the 400NB ramp here.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b5ina-xbwY

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good... I hate people that can't sit in line like normal people.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's not the fact that he merged at the last moment. It's that he crossed a solid white line, which is something I totally hate but see all the time.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I hope that was an expensive ticket.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't mind late lane mergers because someone is always driving like an old lady and leaving a huge gap in front of them.

But you do have to play by the rules and not cross solid lines. That's cheating.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19639 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mind late lane mergers

I do because it creates a hazard and holds up the line. If they're coming out of a free traffic lane, they have to slow down considerably to make their merge. This then causes congestion in what should be an otherwise open lane.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I do because it creates a hazard and holds up the line. If they're coming out of a free traffic lane, they have to slow down considerably to make their merge. This then causes congestion in what should be an otherwise open lane.
The driver passed up several gaps in cars when there was a dashed lane. I was shocked that people were leaving gaps like that in a big city as I do not see that in Houston.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23201 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

The driver passed up several gaps in cars when there was a dashed lane. I was shocked that people were leaving gaps like that in a big city as I do not see that in Houston.

The several gaps that you saw was what I was referring to. I live in a big city and I also see and count on those gaps.

My basic thumbrule is if your driving doesn't cause me to suddenly adjust my driving then you can do what you want. It's easy enough to quickly slip into those gaps without causing any additional congestion.

The ones where I see normally congested with merging and splitting is due to poor freeway design. The one I have in mind in my locale is where traffic from two main cities (24 from Orinda and 580 from Oakland) merge and unmerge to go to two main cities (San Francisco Bay Bridge 80 and Berkeley 580). It's always a cluster there as the freeway traffic pattern includes a criss cross. It's never freeway speeds through that section.

The one I see late merging and use it myself is highway 13 going to 24 Orinda. It's a two lane highway. People always bunch up on the right line queuing up for the ramp to 24. But if you stay on the left lane, there's always a gap available within a block and a half distance from the ramp. Good drivers can do the switch without slowing down the left lane or making the right lane stop abruptly.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19639 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
He crossed the solid white line because that's where the room was in front of the truck. Because, you know, that's why us truckers leave that big gap there, for the convenience of those who like to squeeze in. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
Typical Connecticut driver.
Looks like I91 in Hartford...

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 909 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Because, you know, that's why us truckers leave that big gap there, for the convenience of those who like to squeeze in. Roll Eyes

Good to know!!! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2046 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That looked like a dangerous place to pull someone over. Eek

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do because it creates a hazard and holds up the line.

Not near as much as the cop is now holding up traffic.

And since when is it illegal to cross a solid white line?

Yellow? Yes. White? Not so much.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
since when is it illegal to cross a solid white line?

I think that you're confusing two different types of lane markings: color, and solid vs. dashed lines.
  • Color: White lines, whether dashed or solid, separate lanes of traffic that are traveling in the same direction. Yellow lines, dashed or solid, are used to separate lanes of traffic that are traveling in opposite directions.

• Dashed lines indicate that it's OK to cross the line (with due caution, of course). Solid lines generally indicate that you should stay in your lane. There are some exceptions, such as turning off the road into a driveway, allowed even with a solid line.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We just got home from a few days away. Traffic going both ways was horrendous!. Those assholes who pass on the right, tailgate those ahead of them, then FORCE their way back into the left lane are truly assholes. This last trip seemed to show that a lot of those doing this are young females.

Add to that that many of them do seem to know what that little lever on the left side of the steering column is for, either.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do because it creates a hazard and holds up the line.

Not near as much as the cop is now holding up traffic.

Umm...white.....yes...............bigtime.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

We just got home from a few days away. Traffic going both ways was horrendous!. Those assholes who pass on the right, tailgate those ahead of them, then FORCE their way back into the left lane are truly assholes. This last trip seemed to show that a lot of those doing this are young females.

Add to that that many of them do seem to know what that little lever on the left side of the steering column is for, either.

Typically caused by the left lane slowpokes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaSigchist:
Typical Connecticut driver.
Looks like I91 in Hartford...

say's the masshole Wink

but you're right that's the 91 north to 84 east exit, it's always completely fucked.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
And ALL CT Troopers are named "Dave"...

Even mama bears. None of them GAF. They catch you breaking the law, you gonna get a ticket.

Waterbury traffic is just as bad... I was all over there at 79,820 lbs the other day...the morons who decided to rearrange the ramp so you can exit and pass the mile of backed up traffic at the lane drop NB in Waterbury and scoot back on the on-ramp (everyone knows the "police take notice" sign only applies when the police are there...) should be re-educated with a cat-o'nine tails.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got pulled over for crossing a white line about 10 or 12 years ago -- the white line on the right side of the road!!! It was a 55mph road, one lane each direction, a guy pulled on from a side road and 100 yards up, stopped to turn left. I crossed the white line onto the paved shoulder to pass him, mostly since it happened so fast I didn't know if anybody was behind me, and got a warning ticket from a cop going the other way.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post