SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Love Bugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love Bugs Login/Join 
posted
Drove from Chattanooga down to Destin, FL, this past Saturday for a convention for work. Hit the love bugs a couple of hours north of Destin. Windshield and front of van covered, wipers and washer fluid do almost nothing. Got gas in Destin last night and tried to wash them off with the washer/squeegee at the gas station. Can’t even tell I used anything. What’s the secret to getting the windshield clean?

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The recomendation is dryer sheets. Wife had the same problem. Locals told her to use dryer sheets.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yup. Dryer sheets, like Bounce.

We get them twice a year (love bugs, not dryer sheets), May and September.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, third recommendation, wet the car and dryer sheets and then rub the bugs off, works great, no need for expensive bug-b-gone automotive cleaners.

Rinse, rub, rinse...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will get some on the way back from dinner.

posted Hide Post
Mix peroxide and water 50-50, and squirt them with that first. Then dryer sheet wetted with the same solution. Usually come right off. The peroxide really makes them foam up if they are fresh. Be advised that this also removes any wax.

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one thing I don't miss from living in South Florida...

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Also common (without the name) in the Central Valley of CA. If you think it's fun cleaning them off your car, try a motorcycle helmet face shield.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After graduating from high school (1965), a buddy and myself took a trip from Austin TX to New Orleans to celebrate. All across southern LA we ran into those bugs. Stopped at a gas station to clean them off, and asked the owner what they were called. He said they called them "telephone bugs", because they say hello and hang up.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned, clean the Love bugs off your car as soon as possible. The first time I encountered them I did not know better and waited a few weeks and it was to late.
By the time I cleaned them off they had damaged the clear coat on the paint.
I was from New Jersey and had never seen them before moving to Florida.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dryer sheets worked as mentioned above.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
The recomendation is dryer sheets. Wife had the same problem. Locals told her to use dryer sheets.

I gotta try that next time. Those stupid love bugs can get bad in Texas and you kill a million of them driving somewhere. Never heard about dryer sheets.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

I gotta try that next time. Those stupid love bugs can get bad in Texas and you kill a million of them driving somewhere. Never heard about dryer sheets.
They really do work.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Bounce dryer sheets also remove Tree Sap from your hands... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live about 20 minutes north of Destin and I get the love bugs bad. I concur with dryer sheets as everyone has mentioned but with caution. Dryer sheets can be abrasive. I browse watch forums and a suggested method to remove AR coating from a watch crystal is to use dryer sheets.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post