SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting tired of obscure “holidays” in my iPhone calendar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting tired of obscure “holidays” in my iPhone calendar Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Now it’s something called “holi”, March 8. Just calendar noise IMO. I’d rather not see anything but bank holidays.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8838 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Now it’s something called “holi”, March 8. Just calendar noise IMO. I’d rather not see anything but bank holidays.

Huh. I was wondering about that one, thought it was something I somehow added by mistake. What I don’t under, is why we don’t have the option to ‘delete’ the reoccurring Holidays we don’t care about and just keep the ones we want.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto. If you figure out how to get rid of all that extraneous stuff, please post the solution. Not really concerned about botswana’s high holy day or whatever the latest is!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now it’s something called “holi”
A Hindu holiday that, among other things, signifies the triumph of good over evil. What's not to like? Plus, it's the day after the birthday of the wife of a SIGforum member. Whoo-hoo! Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Ditto. If you figure out how to get rid of all that extraneous stuff, please post the solution.
Calendar -> Calendars -> US Holidays: Un-check.

Then enter the holidays you want, manually. Set to "all day," Un-check "Busy" (probably), etc., as you like.

Why they classify some of these things as "US Holidays" when clearly they are not is another issue.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Ditto. If you figure out how to get rid of all that extraneous stuff, please post the solution.

Then enter the holidays you want, manually. Set to "all day," Un-check "Busy" (probably), etc., as you like.

Why they classify some of these things as "US Holidays" when clearly they are not is another issue.

The problem is that “repeat yearly “ won’t always work. E.g., Christmas is on a weekend, and Christmas observed is the following Monday, in that case.

Maybe there’s an app…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8838 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never used the iphone calendar ever. Have an appointment book. Entering into a phone calendar is cumbersome and time consuming for me. Have used a paper appointment book for over 40 years. It does have obscure holidays in light ink which are easily ignored. I use my phone for calls and text messages.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Go here, https://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar
And subscribe to their US Holidays calendar.

Once you have subscribed to it, take the check mark out of the calendar Apple gives you.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

After more thought, I believe your solution is best after all, ensigmatic. Thank you.

Serious about crackers

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
After more thought, I believe your solution is best after all, ensigmatic. Thank you.
I don't know if it's "the best," but, it's probably the cleanest & easiest Smile

You're welcome.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
This is something our woke friends at Apple did a few OS-updates ago.

If you want to see the major holidays, you must also see the holidays for other religions. Unless, as stated above, you enter what you want manually.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
This is something our woke friends at Apple did a few OS-updates ago.
Just because you don't like it, you don't agree with it, it ain't "traditionally American," ain't Biblical, or whatever, doesn't necessarily make it "woke."

There are Americans of many races, creeds, religions, etc. Do I care about Islamic, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. holidays? No, I do not. But, I wager, there are many Americans who do.

Apple wants their business, too.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
If you don’t like Apple’s holidays, there’s an easy fix.

You can have the standard holidays, and they automatically reload in January every year.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
I don’t understand Muddflap. What are “standard holidays”, and how do I get them onto my iPhone Calendar?

By “standard holidays” perhaps you mean “US Holidays”? I don’t like that set.

Serious about crackers

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^
I don’t understand Muddflap. What are “standard holidays”, and how do I get them onto my iPhone Calendar?

By “standard holidays” perhaps you mean “US Holidays”? I don’t like that set.

What I’m considering standard holidays, are just the ones recognized in the US. There are about 15 of them. New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day Valentines Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and so on.

If you go to this web site,

https://www.calendarlabs.com/i...s/76/US_Holidays.ics

The first column, on the left, has US Holidays as the first entry. Tap on that, and tap the subscribe button. Follow the instructions. After it’s loaded, go into your calendar, tap calendars, and remove the checkmark from the US Holidays that Apple supplied. Calendar will then use the one you just subscribed to. Just make sure there’s a check mark next to it.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Seems to be working but it's still downloading the calendar data after a couple of minutes.

Posts: 18010 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I imported the Calendarlabs file that Muddflap linked above into my Google calendar and turned off the US Holiday calendar events and now I don't have to see the LGBT stuff on my Android calendar starting next month. Thanks Muddflap.

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Glad it’s working for you. I’ve been using it for several years. There were a couple times, when I first started using it, that it didn’t update and I had to unsubscribe, and resubscribe, but it’s been good for a long time now.

They used to have a flag day calendar I really liked, but they dropped it 2 or 3 years ago.