SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Red Wasps. BIG red Wasp.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Wasps. BIG red Wasp. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
We have lots of them since moving here ~3 years ago but they have been extremely docile, never even threatening to attack or sting... until today.

I was painting a bed base I made for my daughter in the garage when one nailed me on the ear. OUCH! My first thought is the paint fumes bothered it, but further investigation revealed several buzzing around frantically just outside the open garage door near the gable vent and they started attacking me! Why now? I think I found out why they were so pissed off. Some smaller, different variety of wasp were trying to take over the vent they called home. They were ramming each other mid air!

Holy crap guys, leave me out of your fight!

A can of wasp spray later they agreed to a cease fire and I was able to return to painting...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Burn your house down

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Only good thing about wasps is having wasp spray around for the Copperheads. Just killed another one today with a can. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google cicada killer. That is typically your big red wasp. Mud daubbers also can have a red sheen, but they are not super big. Ciccada killers are fairly docile. I first saw them in CT. They are pretty cool

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Brake Cleaner will drop them in flight!!!

It's cheaper too go to Auto Zone and grab a can of the balck and gold and let em have it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Carb cleaner works well on wasps, spiders too.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Down here in the South, we have the big red ones, the striped paper wasps, then there are the little guinea wasp bastards. That's not even counting the several hornet species and yellow jackets.

I hate them all with equal fervor.

I grew up on a river and every last kind of the little shits built nests in the cypress trees at the banks, just close enough to nail you in the face if you weren't careful while fishing.

HUGE nests with hundreds of individuals.

Dirt dobbers will give you a sting that you will NEVER forget. Even though they prefer to shy away from you, if you accidentally put your hand down on them, you will get nailed.

Cicada Killers are a rare sight, they will keep to themselves.

We also have the velvet ant. Step on one and you will wear steel bottomed shoes outside after that experience. They are the spawn from hell. No matter how much you stomp on them, they laugh it off. Literally.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Only good thing about wasps is having wasp spray around for the Copperheads. Just killed another one today with a can. Smile

I keep a can of wasp spray in the car door beverage holder, in case a pest needs spraying from the driver's seat.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Gonna try that, the wasp sprays I got are too slow to kill. Tried Spectracide and Hot-Shot. Very poor knock down. I think they kill by giving them cancer Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Gonna try that, the wasp sprays I got are too slow to kill. Tried Spectracide and Hot-Shot. Very poor knock down. I think they kill by giving them cancer Roll Eyes

Brake cleaner and Carb cleaner work pretty good. Either one with a bic lighter work GREAT! DUring lovebug season it looks like a WWII Dog fight reenactment in the parking lot.Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Missouri has some huge wasps. The ones I hate are more of a rust color than red and they will go out of their way to nail you.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This stuff works great

https://rainbowtechstore.com/c...r?variant=1183361651

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

We also have the velvet ant. Step on one and you will wear steel bottomed shoes outside after that experience. They are the spawn from hell. No matter how much you stomp on them, they laugh it off. Literally.

.45 Or flamethrower. Your choice.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 414 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Those fuckers are evil personified!

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Down here in the South, we have the big red ones, the striped paper wasps, then there are the little guinea wasp bastards. That's not even counting the several hornet species and yellow jackets.

I hate them all with equal fervor.

I grew up on a river and every last kind of the little shits built nests in the cypress trees at the banks, just close enough to nail you in the face if you weren't careful while fishing.

HUGE nests with hundreds of individuals.

Dirt dobbers will give you a sting that you will NEVER forget. Even though they prefer to shy away from you, if you accidentally put your hand down on them, you will get nailed.

Cicada Killers are a rare sight, they will keep to themselves.

I took a vacation week a couple summers ago to stay with my mother, she had just had surgery,

walking around her yard one day and saw both Cicada Killers and Velvet Ants,

both were making nests in several areas of her yard,

once she was able to get up and motivate around a bit, I showed them to her,,

she said they had been there for years, and never bothered her, so I left them

as long as she knew not to step in that area with out shoes we were good to go

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Once on the Outer Banks we had an old Jeep CJ2A that we would leave parked by the dock. I was young enough to think it was really cool to jump off the dock into the driver's seat and take off.

One week the weather had been rough so we didn't go over for a few days. Next nice day I jumped off the dock and slammed down into the driver's seat. Unfortunately over those days a group of red wasps had built a nest directly under the seat. When I ungraciously slammed down, they were not appreciative. I got nailed in the head and face about five or six times and had to jump into the water to get rid of them. It was memorable.
I take out the little bastards whenever possible.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a problem with red paper wasps) getting into my place somehow until I ordered some peppermint essential oil. A half dozen droppers mixed into a spray bottle with a bit of dish soap and I spray all around wasps' favorite places to hang out. Seems it might be true they're not fans of peppermint.

Have only found one or two inside since and that was months ago.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
We’ve seen one cicada killer patrolling around the rock hill next to our house. I know there are a few here. Neat insect to observe, and yeah they just do their thing.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

AZ, as you know, is home to all sorts of biting, stinging, venemous plants, animals, insects, and arachnids. One of the most striking is the Taratutla Hawk, a wasp dedicated to hunting the large spider. the TH can grow up to 2" long. She scurries along the ground searching for burrows, then goes down and fetches her prey. They are not usually a threat to humans, but only because they don't care about us. Their sting is supposed to be extremely painful, though.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. Little fuzzy Sherman tanks. They hit just as hard too.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post