SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm done with Krogers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm done with Krogers Login/Join 
posted
I grocery shop only every 10 to 14 days. So when I do go I may have 75 items in my cart.
There are now 22 self checkout lanes and only one lane open where a cashier scans your items,
and even then you have to bag yourself. There were at least 10 people in line for the one cashier
with full carts. I guess what bugs me is there are at least six employees just standing around
watching the people doing self checkout. Take 2 or 3 of them and open more lanes!!
180 dollars to do all the work myself. I'll try Meijers or Aldis. Rant over.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I'll try Aldis.

Be prepared to bag your own stuff there too. (And provide your own bags.)

But at the least the checkouts are all still manned, and best of all, Aldi prides itself in super-speedy checkouts. It's one of the ways that Aldi cuts personnel cost without resorting to self checkouts... They specifically train their checkout clerks to be extra fast, and continually hold them to a speed standard, so that they can still handle a larger volume of checkouts with fewer clerks and lines.

They even print their house brand boxes with large barcodes on each facet to facilitate this, instead of just one barcode on one facet like usual, so that it doesn't matter which way the clerk grabs the items and rapidly scans it through. Any of the facets of the box will still register, since they all have a barcode. So no wasted seconds trying to hunt around to find which side of the box has the barcode.

I do about 2/3 of my grocery shopping at Aldi, supplemented by a trip every month or so to a larger grocery superstore. Aldi is great for basic groceries, and often has interesting one-off stuff you aren't likely to find elsewhere, like fancy cheeses and oddball European items. But their focus is the house brand grocery staples that makes up about 80% of their store, so it won't have as wide of a selection as a larger grocery store and it's unlikely to have specific brand name items or less common types of grocery items. Their non-chicken meat and some of their produce can also be hit or miss.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I haven't been in a Kroger in a while as we shop at HEB.
Luckily HEB hasn't gone the mass self-checkout route.

If I've got 1 or 2 items & don't see an open cashier, I'll do self-check, otherwise the lines move pretty quickly & they're pretty attentive to adding cashiers when it's busy.

When we were in AR over the summer, the Hot Spring WalMart looked to be in the progress of removing most of the cashiers & going to banks of 1-employee-manned self-check pods.

We used to do Aldi, until it got to be about equivalent to our HEB bill.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
When we were in AR over the summer, the Hot Spring WalMart looked to be in the progress of removing most of the cashiers & going to banks of 1-employee-manned self-check pods.

Yep. Most Walmart Supercenters are in the process of being retrofitted to have massive self checkout bays in place of their manned checkout lines. With Northwest Arkansas being the HQ of Walmart, all our stores got it first.

Luckily, curbside pickup is a thing, and shopping for groceries on the Walmart app at home and then pulling up a few hours later to have it loaded into your car beats the hell out of going inside and trying to do self checkout with a large grocery order.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We used to do Aldi, until it got to be about equivalent to our HEB bill.

Yeah, up until the last year or so, Aldi used to be significantly cheaper for groceries, but haven't been able to weather the mass inflation as well as larger grocery chains. I find they're still a bit cheaper overall, but not as dramatically so. And certain items are no longer cheaper at Aldi than other stores, like boneless chicken breasts.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Didn't we have threads on how self checkout and no clerk ordering would be prevalent, the subject of the "we're against the min wage increase" threads?

Think most said they would gladly to use it since companies shouldn't be forced to pay $13 an hour, now we're bitching because it's really happening... Funny shit....

Bet when these guys went away y'all said "I ain't pump'n no gas!

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I stopped shopping at Krogers (AKA Fred Meyer) after they made a big deal out of "No Longer Selling guns and many gun focused periodicals."

If they want to stop selling this stuff, fine, just stop selling it. but don't make a big deal talking to the press about it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I have 10 or 20 items I don't mind self checkout.
Years ago when I had a wife and four kids and my wife babysat six kids
five days a week, we would sometimes fill up two completely full carts
of groceries. I couldn't imagine going through self checkout with that.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 3 Krogers near me have closed the customer service counter, the floors & carts are nasty, & most of the employees have bad attitudes. Publix is more expensive, but is clean, carts are always available & the employees smile. Also if you want usually they the have employees available to take your cart out for you.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've never heard much good about Kroger's especially about what happens to chains they buy out. I am NOT looking forward to what they may do to trash the local Safeway (Alberson's) stores they've acquired in a recent multi-billion doallar acquisition which source a lot of their meat and produce locally.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
It could be worse.
At least you are not shopping at the Murder Kroger.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish we had Publix here but since Krogers is based in Cincinnati they run out of
business every chain that tries to compete.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The two Krogers locally haven't been any worse than any other grocery store when it comes to a lack of human cashiers.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by P250UA5:

Luckily, curbside pickup is a thing, and shopping for groceries on the Walmart app at home and then pulling up a few hours later to have it loaded into your car beats the hell out of going inside and trying to do self checkout with a large grocery order.

No way in the world I would let somebody pick out my produce and meat. Canned and boxed goods maybe. I'm 62 years old
but I'm not so lazy to do my own grocery shopping. My 35 year old stepdaughter does this and then bitches about getting shitty produce.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish we had Publix here but since Krogers is based in Cincinnati they run out of
business every chain that tries to compete.

Krogers bought out Harris Teeter in Nashville then immediately closed the Harris Teeter stores. The Krogers in Brentwood then moved into the old Harris Teeter space.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
No way in the world I would let somebody pick out my produce and meat. Canned and boxed goods maybe. I'm 62 years old
but I'm not so lazy to do my own grocery shopping.

Yeah, it's not a good option for some produce (like those that rely on being a certain specific level of ripeness such as avocados that you want to use right now), or if you're looking for a piece of meat with certain qualities (like a steak of just the right size with just the right amount of marbling, or similar)

But otherwise, for everything else on your grocery list, it's damn handy. And it beats actually going inside Walmart. Big Grin Or you can even do the hybrid approach, where you put in a pickup order for 98% of your groceries, then when you get to the store, you run inside to grab the few produce/meat items you want to pick out yourself in a quick in-and-out trip, before pulling over into the pickup area and retrieving the bulk of your items.

Even if you do that hybrid route, and especially if you do the straight pickup route, it's significantly faster than going inside for a full blown grocery run. Which is great if you're on a time crunch. Or if like me, you just see grocery shopping as a chore to be accomplished as quickly and efficiently as possible, rather than an experience to be savored or whatever. It's not about being lazy... It's about getting the stuff you have to do over with so that you have more time to go be not lazy with other stuff that you actually want to do, like spending time with your friends and family or enjoying your hobbies. But who knows, some people like grocery shopping. Especially if you're retired, then you might have all the extra free time in the world to spend leisurely wandering the aisles of grocery stores, stopping to closely compare the labels on cans of string beans and such. Wink

Pickup is also potentially a great way to cut down on impulse spending, if you (or your wife) are one of those people who runs into the store for 1 or 2 items and exits a little while later having spent $110 on 20 different items.

And did I mention that it's free? This means it's allowing you to get part of your free time back, with no loss in product quality* (*see initial caveat) or additional fees. That's a win in my book.

So curbside pickup has its place. It's not the be-all and end-all of grocery shopping 100% of the time for every single item, but it's a great option for most things. Kinda like I said about Aldi...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
but I'm not so lazy to do my own grocery shopping.

Yeah, it's not a good option for some produce (like those that rely on being a certain specific level of ripeness such as avocados that you want to use right now), or if you're looking for a piece of meat with certain qualities (like a steak of just the right size with just the right amount of marbling, or similar)

But otherwise, for everything else on your grocery list, it's damn handy. And it beats actually going inside Walmart. Big Grin Or you can even do the hybrid approach, where you put in a pickup order for 98% of your groceries, then when you get to the store, you run inside to grab the few produce/meat items you want to pick out yourself in a quick in-and-out trip, before pulling over into the pickup area and retrieving the bulk of your items.

Even if you do that hybrid route, and especially if you do the straight pickup route, it's significantly faster than going inside for a full blown grocery run. Which is great if you're on a time crunch. Or if like me, you just see grocery shopping as a chore to be accomplished as quickly and efficiently as possible, rather than an experience to be savored or whatever. It's not about being lazy... It's about getting the stuff you have to do over with so that you have more time to go be not lazy with other stuff that you actually want to do, like spending time with your friends and family or enjoying your hobbies. But who knows, some people like grocery shopping. Especially if you're retired, then you might have all the extra free time in the world to spend leisurely wandering the aisles of grocery stores, stopping to closely compare the labels on cans of string beans and such. Wink

Pickup is also potentially a great way to cut down on impulse spending, if you (or your wife) are one of those people who runs into the store for 1 or 2 items and exits a little while later having spent $110 on 20 different items.

And did I mention that it's free? This means it's allowing you to get part of your free time back, with no loss in product quality* (*see initial caveat) or additional fees. That's a win in my book.

So curbside pickup has its place. It's not the be-all and end-all of grocery shopping 100% of the time for every single item, but it's a great option for most things. Kinda like I said about Aldi...

I'm sorry if I implied that your lazy, I am retired so I have all day. I make a list for things I really need but then I go down
every aisle and impulse buy anything I see. Making babyback ribs mashed taters and super sweet corn for my son tomorrow. And I spoil
my grandsons! Big Grin

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I head for the self check and ask one of the workers standing around if they can help me. they always do it for me.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I've never heard much good about Kroger's especially about what happens to chains they buy out. I am NOT looking forward to what they may do to trash the local Safeway (Alberson's) stores they've acquired in a recent multi-billion doallar acquisition which source a lot of their meat and produce locally.

I think before they bought Albertsons they were still the largest grocery chain in the country.
My son became a CPA and thought his dream job would be with Kroger's. He got hired on and quit
in less than a year. Said it was the most screwed up place he ever worked for.
Management was a total cluster****

Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
The local Krogers here has a good staff, but in so many cases their hands are tied from directives "on high". (Incompetent, arrogant management).

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
I grocery shop only every 10 to 14 days. So when I do go I may have 75 items in my cart.
There are now 22 self checkout lanes and only one lane open where a cashier scans your items,
and even then you have to bag yourself. There were at least 10 people in line for the one cashier
with full carts. I guess what bugs me is there are at least six employees just standing around
watching the people doing self checkout. Take 2 or 3 of them and open more lanes!!
180 dollars to do all the work myself. I'll try Meijers or Aldis. Rant over.

Local to me Meijers was about as bad last night

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post