SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dining Out in The Covid Era
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dining Out in The Covid Era Login/Join 
posted
Went to a restaurant this evening, that my wife doesn't even like. I was surprised that she suggested it. We arrive and are informed, that they have no menus, we must use a code reader. Ok, no big deal. Instead of perusing the menu and telling the waitress our choices, we find we have to make our selections on our cellphones. The kicker was that after making our selections, we were to input our credit card information. I told the waitress I was not comfortable with entering my credit card information into some system I knew nothing about. I suggested that after eating, she bring us the bill and I would pay using my card. She said they couldn't do it that way. With that, we got up and left. Now the both of us have a reason not to return. I hope that this is not the wave of the future because if so, I'm going to be eating at home a lot more.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Ouch. I’m sorry to hear that. Dining out here in Georgia is 100% normal.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
So there's no cash option?

Even here in California it is pretty much back to "normal".

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Did they Geiger you at the door and find a high concentration of radiation?

Wow, how things are different based on the local politics. We ate out 3 times last week - including last night. The experience was just like 2 years ago - albeit more expensive. We sat through 2 rodeos last week with 3,500 of our closest friends. Maybe 4 masks in the lot.

By the way, the bulls won - they always win.
Mike.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
So there's no cash option?

Even here in California it is pretty much back to "normal".

The cash option involved them putting a $1 charge on your cc and refunding it back when you paid with cash. So they still want your cc info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NK402,

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is that recently? Even out here in crazy land, I’m not wearing masks. I got some hamburgers to go a couple of days ago / no masks and the place was full. Even the staff wasn’t wearing masks. And this is crazy central. Surprised that VA is worse.

I would have walked out too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Other than prices a little higher, service a lot sloppier, and most places now adding a credit card surcharge things are about normal here.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A surcharge for what?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

they have no menus, we must use a code reader . . . Instead of perusing the menu and telling the waitress our choices, we find we have to make our selections on our cellphones. The kicker was that after making our selections, we were to input our credit card information.
I have to wonder what would happen if a customer said "I don't have a cell phone."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have to wonder what would happen if a customer said "I don't have a cell phone."

Being on the round most of the time, I eat out for every meal, or get something and take it to the hotel room. A lot of places, not just domestically, are doing the same thing.

I don't pay with my cell, not do I use the little screwing rorschach code blot things. Places will provide a disposable paper menu in most all cases, I pay when I'm done eating, and don't offer a phone.

A number of places don't handle cash now, and won't take coins.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I used to see surcharges at places for "Extra COVID cleaning" or some bullshit like that...

Always at the last minute when the bill came, and I never went back to those places.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A surcharge for what?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is just crazy. I didn't realize Virginia was like that.

Eating out is pretty normal around here, has been for well over a year. A few people wear masks but most do not nor do the servers. One thing I have noticed is the menus are much smaller now that they used to be. I suspect that is due to the difficulty of those places finding good help. You can pay pretty much however you want, cash, credit and there are no surcharges...that I know of.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A surcharge for what?

More and more restaurants and other businesses, including a local gun store, are charging 3-4% for using a credit card. We got an email the other day from a local restaurant stating that they will be doing it.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
More and more restaurants and other businesses, including a local gun store, are charging 3-4% for using a credit card.
When my wife bought her new RAV4, couple years ago, she pulled out her checkbook to pay for it. The financial guy at the Toyota dealer told her that she could use a credit card for up to $5,000.00 of the price. No surcharge from the dealer, and the card she uses is a cash-back card.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have shifted from eating out to buying better quality foods and cooking it ourselves. No bullshit, no surcharges, no long waits in line, no overcooked meats, etc.

Some restaurants will be doomed to their own fates.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
More and more restaurants and other businesses, including a local gun store, are charging 3-4% for using a credit card.
When my wife bought her new RAV4, couple years ago, she pulled out her checkbook to pay for it. The financial guy at the Toyota dealer told her that she could use a credit card for up to $5,000.00 of the price. No surcharge from the dealer, and the card she uses is a cash-back card.

I did that when I bought my new Ford Bronco Sport a few months ago. They let me do a little over $5K. It was great.

But getting back to the OP, none of that is happening here. As others have said, it's back to pretty much business as usual.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Dining out is a pretty normal experience here. With the exception of lack of staff help. You always have to check what the kitchen hours are and places are closing on certain days like Mondays and Tuesdays but then when they can hire someone they open back up again.

And wait times getting your meal can take a bit longer again due to lack of staff. The wife and I go out quite often to eat as it's just the two of us. We also have friends who own bar/restaurants so we do everything we can to help support these people. We are very patient while waiting to get served or for the meal to come and we tip very well. We actually had a server follow us out to the parking lot to thank us personally for being patient and generous tip. She told us many are not patient and tip poorly or not at all because they had to wait longer than what they felt was reasonable.

These places had the heavy foot of the state on their throats by shutting them down for a year and now the Feds want to pay people to sit at home on their ass while these places are begging for help to keep their businesses running efficiently. So yeah if I have to sit for ten minutes before a server gets my glass of water to me or I have to wait twenty minutes to get my meal I get it. These businesses deserve our our cooperation and these servers deserve our gratitude.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait times at restaurants have definitely gotten longer here due to short staff.

Fast food has gotten strange too. Drive thru lines will be 50 cars deep and no one will go inside. I went to raising canes on Friday for something quick to eat and the drive thru line went through the parking lot up and down every aisle, into other businesses parking lots in the strip mall… had to have been 40-50 cars in the drive thru… I parked, went inside, was the only person in there grabbed my chicken and left in probably 3 minutes.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm in considerably more leftist NoVa and I've not seen any of this nonsense, but we rarely go out to eat other than special occasions.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Pretty normal in Ohio with the exception that many fast food dining rooms aren't open yet. They can't get help.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post