SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wide load mirrors on pickup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wide load mirrors on pickup Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
I get it, I personally have trucks and trailers and the mirror extension option may be handy to have; which I don’t.

If you’re towing a camper or other large load, by all means, I want you to be safe, use your mirrors and turn signals. But please, when you remove the trailer, collapse the mirrors too. There’s no reason to drive down the road 6’ wider than you need to. The rest of us would appreciate it.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it true that the new fancy schmancy loaded
Luxury trucks have mirrors that not only fold in automatically but extend outward 8 inches when trailering wide loads ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
'tis true

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Couldn't find the one I saw years ago. Was a single Dodge truck with the mirrors up & the caption: "Look at me, I'm a moose!"

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is it true that the new fancy schmancy loaded
Luxury trucks have mirrors that not only fold in automatically but extend outward 8 inches when trailering wide loads ?

My mom's 07 F350 had power extending tow mirrors.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I can say this with all honesty, since I have a '17 Ram diesel:

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
The problem is with Ram mirrors. They are laid out wrong in the folded-in position. The convex mirror is only in the preferred orientation when the tow mirrors are extended. In the non extended position the convex mirror is in a much less useful orientation, so I know in my case with both Rams I’ve owned drove around with the mirrors in tow mode all the time because I didn’t like the view that I would get when the mirrors were in the non extended position.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Haha… I have tow mirrors on my 2021 Ram Rebel and have grown fond of them. Big Grin

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, in the case of the Dodge & GM, they're manual. Have to get out of the truck to change orientation.
Props to Ford for power extending tow mirrors.

I think GM had them [powered] briefly, in the pre-07 body style IIRC, but they were like standard mirrors with an accordion to hide the extension.

I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Also, in the case of the Dodge & GM, they're manual. Have to get out of the truck to change orientation.
Props to Ford for power extending tow mirrors.

I think GM had them [powered] briefly, in the pre-07 body style IIRC, but they were like standard mirrors with an accordion to hide the extension.
Current GM's have power tow mirrors.
I am not sure when they brought them back, but my '24 2500 AT4X has them.

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was traveling down the highway one afternoon and came upon this slow-moving truck with a spray-painted sign on a large piece of plywood, cautioning of a wide load. They got a little careless when painting the "A". The sign said "WIDE LORD".

I thought to myself, "Man, that's heavy."

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another reason why I hate trucks and the bullies who drive them. Good news is that my car can actually drive under those stupid mirrors.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I was traveling down the highway one afternoon and came upon this slow-moving truck with a spray-painted sign on a large piece of plywood, cautioning of a wide load. They got a little careless when painting the "A". The sign said "WIDE LORD".

I thought to myself, "Man, that's heavy."

I’m driving on I-80 when I come up on a pickup truck with a car behind. It too had a plywood sign across the back of the car reading, “Car in Toe.”

Posts: 13269 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds painful

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post