SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sales that are sales in name only!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sales that are sales in name only! Login/Join 
posted
Companies that post “sales” which require a lot of imagination to qualify as such. If your regular price is $40.49, you’re not endearing this customer to you by posting a 50 cent reduction to $39.99 and touting it as a “sale”! Technically it may be, but to co-op an appropriate phrase, “come on man”. That’s a rounding error.

Even worse are the ones that change a price by two or three cents out of many dollars and call it a sale. Why even waste the time to do so? Sheesh!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Because research indicates that items on sale sell at much higher rates. The amount of the reduction in price is often not noticed.

Remember when Penny's said it would reduce most regular prices and never have sales? "Cheaper all the time" was the basic message. It was a disaster. Much better for sales volume to have a nominal price of $45 and immediately reduce it to a "sale" price of $35 than to price it at $35 from the start.

Just watch the price. Buy it when the price is the price you are willing to pay. Ignore all the "sale" stuff.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that you get the emails from AIM and PSA too

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I see that you get the emails from AIM and PSA too

Yep. And my 50 cent example this morning was a box of ammo that showed up on Natchez.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The MSRP is a fantasy except for a few items/manufacturers that are never discounted.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want a fantasy sale just go to Cabela's. Shotguns and rifles on sale when they are NOT in stock anywhere in the entire USA.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Doorbuster Christmas sale at Cabela"s. In line 1 hour prior to door opening and was number 13 going thru the door. A specific wrist watch Stainless cased Divers style on sale for 1/4 normal price. Went straight to watches with a female customer at counter ahead of me looking at the exact watch I wanted and the clerk asked if she could help and I replied that I wanted one of the watches that other customer was holding. Clerk handed me on which I purchased but the female customer was questioning why so cheap till I explained it was a loss leader to get people thru the door and would make up the difference in other sales due to the holiday. Employee stated that they only had 5 of these watches ordered for this sale and one had been sold the night before the sale for full price and the female in front of me was holding number 4 and I bought number 3 which left only 2 left for sale for other customers. This happened some years ago and still happy with purchase and it keeps perfect time. ..................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
You want a fantasy sale just go to Cabela's. Shotguns and rifles on sale when they are NOT in stock anywhere in the entire USA.

Not necessarily. I bought a NIB Henry Golden Boy there and it was the absolute cheapest price I could find anywhere, including the net.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I like the ads that say "lowest prices of the season". Week after week. What the hell does that even mean?

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a Rite Aid one day shopping for bar soap. They were $1 each but I could buy a 3-pack for $3.59.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
How about the “rollback pricing” ? I’m seeing that as a warning that the price will be going up soon. A rollback to 15 minutes ago? How about get it now the price is increasing tomorrow.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
worked for a carpet co in the 80s, maybe was 18 yo
they would get the tags that said "WAS $xx.xx a square, NOW ONLY $xx.xx a square" - they would run a big full page add in the Sunday paper and then the day before the "sale" they would put the regular price in the "NOW ONLY" part of the tag and add few bucks to the number for the "WAS" price.
Every time they did this they had a banner week

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered about a business continually offering a particular item at a "reduced price" as to when that "reduced price" becomes its regular price and should be considered a sale item when the store has a "store wide" sale.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about those stores that are " Going out of business " for 3 yrs and counting ?

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
How about those stores that are " Going out of business " for 3 yrs and counting ?

That is every single furniture and mattress store around here. Why they all have "gone out of business" 150 times each! Big Grin

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

That is every single furniture and mattress store around here. Why they all have "gone out of business" 150 times each! Big Grin
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I believe here in the state of Louisiana when a store/business advertises a going out of business sale that there is a actual time limit as per law . ............................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Women control 90+% of household finances and in turn make most of the purchasing decisions. It's no wonder ads and marketing are geared towards women.

It's truly a sickness. A woman will buy an item worth $5 for $50 if the ad/marketing can convince them that it normally sells for $100. It's half off! How many times do women brag about all the money they "saved" while spending tons of money on things that add little value but makes them feel good (emotional response)?

Men on the other hand gauge their purchase based on what will the item do for them. If you're working on your truck and you need a special tool that costs $50 you'll pay for it because without it it'll add 4 hours of frustration and make the job that much harder so for $50 it's well worth the ease, convenience and time saved. Really frugal men can turn around and sell the tool "slightly used" for close to what they paid netting them an even better return on investment to get the job done.

Sorry for the slight thread drift but men don't buy into that "sales in name only" BS the way women do.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post