SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Combined rant: Medical insurance, billing dept., & my lab (phlebotomist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combined rant: Medical insurance, billing dept., & my lab (phlebotomist Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Long story short, after a double trip to the ER back in July on the same day (sent by my doctors both times), I get what I thought was my final explanation of benefits showing I had paid my share and was all taken care of about.

Then, Sunday afternoon, I get a bill from my hospital’s billing company, (the largest medical provider in the state) saying I still owe them $1k and I needed to pay immediately.

So I called my health carrier today. After a long call, they finally admit that they apparently made a mistake and that there is an outstanding bill of 1k and they should pay it. But would my health insurance carrier call the billing department and let them know what is going on? Nope! Nada! We don’t do that. You have to do that? Really? So, I’ll have to wait on line for who knows who long to speak with someone who won’t really believe me to tell them about your mistake? Let me speak with your supervisor. OK but you’ll have to leave a message. GRRRR!

So, I then called the billing dept. And of course, I couldn’t get through to anyone except some women who told me I can’t speak with anyone because they are all busy? What about you? No dice.

To top it all off, I then head into the lab at my clinic to get my monthly blood draw to see if I’m going to die this month or not. For the second time in a row, they couldn’t find the vein. I’ve never had the this trouble ever. The phlebotomist kept saying, I thought I had a good stick, here let me pull the needle back a bit and try another angle. After three times she gave up and said I’ll try the one in the middle - that I was going to try first.

Normally, a blood draw is no big deal but really, she was digging around in my arm like a young kid trying to find that elusive booger up his nose.

I get billing mistakes can happen and that sometimes it can be hard to find a vein. But when nobody wants to talk with anyone - especially when you made the mistake? As for the blood draw, I might skip the lab at my clinic and go 15 minutes to LabCorp. They are slow getting me the results but at least they don’t have to stab me multiple times.

It’s been a long day.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Hospital Phlebotomist once had me in tears, I swear she was a graduate of Harry’s Phlebotomy and Cooking School. One of the ladies working there who was retiring saw the shitshow and took over, one jab and success.

Just before Covid my Cardiologist was in the process of moving his practice from the hospital professional building. My last visit at that location Mary announced that she was finally done.

When the new office was up and running he had an on-site phlebotomist, she is as good as Mary. Two years two to three jabs a year, first time, ever time. Thanks Diedre!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then, Sunday afternoon, I get a bill from my hospital’s billing company, (the largest medical provider in the state) saying...

You receive mail on Sunday's? Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Then, Sunday afternoon, I get a bill from my hospital’s billing company, (the largest medical provider in the state) saying...

You receive mail on Sunday's? Razz

My Cardiologist sends billing via emails.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Write a brief letter to the hospital attach a copy of the bill. The telephone and emails are routinely ignored. Keep a copy.

The best phlebotomists are in the HOSPITAL lab. Some do 75 sticks a day. The other ones are in the Oncology practices. Upwards of 70 per day and they usually stick around. Ask them to butterfly it and make sure you are hydrated.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the butterfly advice. I'll make sure I'm well hydrated too.

My bill came via email. I know, I'm used to paper bills too.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Hospital Phlebotomist once had me in tears, I swear she was a graduate of Harry’s Phlebotomy and Cooking School. One of the ladies working there who was retiring saw the shitshow and took over, one jab and success.

When the new office was up and running he had an on-site phlebotomist, she is as good as Mary. Two years two to three jabs a year, first time, ever time. Thanks Diedre!

I went to the hospital for an MRI years ago, the lady setting me up for the dye stuck me over 6 times unsuccessfully. Finally called for help, an older lady came in and did it in one try.

When I came out, my arms were covered with bandaids and the wife looks at me wide eyed and said "what happened to you."

When I got home, I talked to the next door neighbor who dies the die all the time and said I had great veins and there should have been no problem.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I started reviewing and saving the EOBs from the insurance to keep track of what my copay is. I don't pay any invoice until it's sent a second time at least and I've matched it to an EOB.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My health care system is Univ. of California, San Diego. My health insurance is United Health Care (plan N). And I have the MyChart app on my iPhone. Everything goes quite smoothly.

I would hate to be without MyChart. It provides: appointment info (future & past), e-check-in, patient-physician texting, billing notices, bill-pay (linked CC), lab result reports.

As you might suspect, I highly recommend MyChart.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I started reviewing and saving the EOBs from the insurance to keep track of what my copay is. I don't pay any invoice until it's sent a second time at least and I've matched it to an EOB.

This...NOTHING is due immediately!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post