SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why I don't do pediatric nursing...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I don't do pediatric nursing... Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe "Bubba" is offensive, and maybe it isn't. I tend to think it isn't very offensive if at all. I am a southerner, but have spent appreciable time in the frozen north country as well.

But I know for sure that "asshole" is offensive, and his mother should have corrected that error.

If you want something scrupulously neutral, perhaps "young man" would work. My father-in-law used "lad," but that is a little old fashioned.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I guess it's impossible to look at a chart and use their name....?

Not excusing his shitty response, but if someone called me Bubba you'd immediately get filed into the "IDIOT" folder in my brain.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
If I spoke to an adult that way when I was that age I'd need bus fare to find my teeth.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't think that in almost 30 years of practice I've had anyone address me that way. If I did, I do have the luxury of booting them out (my clinic my rules), I suppose, but I really have no idea how long it'd take me to absorb what had happened. Certainly, I would not let it pass without immediately being addressed and corrected by the parent.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post