SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate to do it, but I want to delete Nextdoor!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate to do it, but I want to delete Nextdoor!!! Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
Why can’t people understand the concept of Nextdoor? The concept is good, but it is never used for its intended use. It is to discuss issues in your neighborhood. Maybe you have a garage sale coming up, maybe your car got vandalized and you want to post a picture of the suspect, maybe you have a question about a neighborhood event, or want to hire someone.

No. All Nextdoor seems to be used for is like Facebook. Posts like, “to the person that cut me off 20 miles away from my neighborhood, I saw cops on the side of the road driving between these two cities does anyone know why they are there?, I saw saw a fire truck at the shopping center 10 miles away does anyone know what is going on? I killed this snake, is it deadly? And it is a poor Gardner Snake. I heard gunshots this morning and it is dove hunting season.” Ugh!

All these posts get tons of responses wondering what happened too.

I have the App for the neighborhood I live in and the one I own property in. If I ever post some of an actual question about the neighborhood such as does someone know the homeowner’s association rule on XYZ, or what is the date of this neighborhood event, I get freaking crickets. Nothing.

People are stupid and I just need to delete this app to lower my blood pressure. Rant over.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Nextdoor is like “Hotel California”. You can delete it any time you like, but you can never leave.

I signed up for Nextdoor, hoping to find a person in my area with a particular skill. No success with that, but I started seeing lots of Nextdoor email junk. I deleted the Nextdoor app, but the email junk keeps rolling in.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8967 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Nextdoor is like “Hotel California”. You can delete it any time you like, but you can never leave.

I signed up for Nextdoor, hoping to find a person in my area with a particular skill. No success with that, but started seeing lots of email junk. Deleted the Nextdoor app, but the email junk keeps rolling in.

Just fantastic. Each email I get is only the first few words of post and seem it might be relevant until I open it to see the actual uneducated post.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yep,
I deleted it and no longer get notifications.
I was getting crap from outside my neighborhood, across town, even though those areas were not selected. While I wanted to stay informed about crime in the area, it was just too much spam and Karens griping about other neighbors.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't use the Nextdoor app, but I visit it occasionally on the web.

A particular thread got my attention just yesterday, ranting about a business and its touch-screen interface being a scam. I tried to add some sense to the discussion, and it was tough to resist telling the OP to just "think a little bit and stop trying to be a victim."

I guess someone else was "triggered" (haha) by the whole thing, for the entire discussion vanished this afternoon.

As Normin said, Nextdoor's original intent is good but it seems to have turned into an all-purpose venue for whining.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Somebody in our neighborhood stuck fliers in/on all the mailboxes, encouraging everybody to join the neighborhood NextDoor group. I did a little research on NextDoor. ISTR what I read about their privacy policies was not good? Then I thought "Neighbors in a social media setting: What could possibly go wrong?" and decided I could do without it all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"Neighbors in a social media setting: What could possibly go wrong?"

I signed up with a fake name. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Honestly all of social media makes me sick. I have to have fake accounts on Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, CashApp, etc for investigations and I am blown away by what people post, but on those I am not as surprised as I am a thug on there..lol. Nextdoor is the only social media I have under my first name with my last name blocked, but I am thinking of getting rid of it. I can’t believe what people post on any platform.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"Neighbors in a social media setting: What could possibly go wrong?"

Yeah I am shocked at some of the terrible comments people make at each other on Nextdoor with their name and neighborhood listed.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

The moderators for the local NextDoor group are certified Karens. They did not like me signing up as "Lamont Cranston" and they disabled my access.

I thought about this for a bit, then I mailed a letter to Lamont Cranston at my address. When I received it in the mailbox, I scanned the envelope, showing name, address, and postmark, as "proof" that it was legitimate and emailed the scan to the moderator, who then un-froze my account.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30686 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I signed up for Nextdoor during the pandemic around April-May of 2020 and made it two weeks then deleted that shit and never looked back.

To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi about that platform:

“You will never find a more wretched hive of Karen scum and asshole busybody neighbor villainy.”

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is dominated by the usual keyboard idiots that the Intergoogle gives full access to. I lasted a week on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever open the post on next door... did one this morning posted yesterday where someone was ranting about pile of dog shit in there yard...
there were already 119 replies.... geez....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
NextDoor is awful. Its full of mouth breathers and window lickers.

I live in a formerly rural area that drastically changed in 2016 when they opened the Grand Parkway which is the 3rd highway loop around Houston. I'm interested if something relevant (crime, new restaurant, developer trying to add a low income housing section, etc) is going on in my neighborhood, and the 3 neighborhoods connected to mine. I selected those 4 neighborhoods for e-mail notification. IDGAF what happens elsewhere as there it'd be information overload.

Instead, I was getting irrelevant shit 15 or 20 miles away in another county which means there is 0.5 to 1.0 million people between me and it. Turns out the OP can choose how wide the audience is so the narcissists are blasting local only posts (e.g. kids play ding dong ditch 'em) to a mass audience to get feed their social media dopamine addiction.

Tried to nuke it but NextDoor are cockroaches that refuse to be removed from my life.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23267 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The moderators for the local NextDoor group are certified Karens. They did not like me signing up as "Lamont Cranston" and they disabled my access
I signed up as Walter Kovacs, and have gotten away so far. Big Grin

Lately, there have been many digital panhandlers with their tales of woe, asking for help.

I whisper, "No".

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Useless. I have more important and better things to do than interact with questionable people.

And the “local area” that I’m supposed to be in encompasses fifty to seventy five miles. Why do I care what happens in a neighborhood two counties away?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

“You will never find a more wretched hive of Karen scum and asshole busybody neighbor villainy.”

I have never had Nextdoor, but a buddy uses it, and from what he says, this is exactly correct. I don't know why he looks at it, as that is not usually his nature. Maybe it is a sort of voyeurism.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
similar story,

signed up years ago to keep an eye on any crime in the neighborhood my shop is in,

problem here is the area is a bit bigger than it should be, so I had to sift thru 30 posts to see if anyone even posted in my immediate area,

and like mentioned, all karens, busy bodies and basically stupid shit,

I live 4 miles from my shop, and we have a neighborhood Facebook page, which is actually worthy of being a member of,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I received it in the mailbox, I scanned the envelope, showing name, address, and postmark, as "proof" that it was legitimate and emailed the scan to the moderator, who then un-froze my account.

I do like the way you work, sir. Smile

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Even worse here in a two-college town - all the reasons they are pitiful and asking for free shit, oh, and by the way, they don’t have a car either, so can you deliver it to them…

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post