SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows 11 Upgrade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 11 Upgrade Login/Join 
Picture of aguilar64
posted
Is it possible to upgrade (Tweak) to Windows 11 even though your PC is not eligible, doesn't meet the requirements?

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2206 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I wasted hours trying to tweak my 4 year old i5 computer.

No luck. Couldn't do it. Stuck with Win 10. My system is just too old. No TPM, etc.

My plan is to keep going with what I have and replace MoBo's in about 3 years so I can have a supported OS since Win 10 support ends in like Oct 2025.

I will have new MoBo's about 4 months before this date.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
I wanted to upgrade the MB but then I would have to upgrade the memory/CPU and wanted to avoid that. I guess I'll have to start saving money.

― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2206 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
This…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You have until 2025 when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10. And I assume you can still continue to run it after that.

My laptop also isn't upgradable. I got it new in 2017 top of the line and I plan to use it until 2024 if I can. Otherwise, I hope Windows 11 will be out for at least 18 months before I have to replace it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking, for me personally, that as long as this computer keeps running on Windows 10, I have no reason to spend the $$$ to upgrade it or buy a new one just to run Windows 11. At least for what I use this computer for currently. I don't plan on doing any online gaming and really just shop, bank, check e-mail, and chat on a few forum boards. The issue will be if websites start changing their code in such a manner that somehow Windows 10 is no longer compatible. I'm not an HTML or website wizard, so I don't know if that's even a consideration...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
Is it possible to upgrade (Tweak) to Windows 11 even though your PC is not eligible, doesn't meet the requirements?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/result...unsupported+hardware

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If your computer doesn't have the horsepower to run it, it doesn't. I know of no way to finesse that.

It's not so much horsepower, using the general definition of compute "horsepower," but other features are missing, at least in my case.

TPM 2.0 being the main item. I think I can work with the UEFI requirement, but TPM is what I don't have, therefore, no Windows 11 for me.

New MoBO needed. Unless I did something wrong, or do not know of a work-around. I worked with it for longer than I care to Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

TPM 2.0 being the main item. I think I can work with the UEFI requirement, but TPM is what I don't have, therefore, no Windows 11 for me.

New MoBO needed. Unless I did something wrong, or do not know of a work-around. I worked with it for longer than I care to Smile

Actually you can bypass the TPM requirements but it takes a little work on the setup.
Just check out the link I left ^^^ above.

FWIW, there is a point where the hardware starts to be less effective and in general those same machines don't work all that well with W10 ether.
Also - W11 vs W10 is not all that different.
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
the link provided was excellent, this particular YouTube video worked fine on my desktop but no my laptop. The fix is pretty easy, download both Windows 10 & 11 ISO and overwrite a Windows 10 file with a Windows 11 file (install.wim) and run the setup. Pay attention to the first step, very important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FmfJpJsKw&t=303s

― Ted Nugent