SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cashless society.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cashless society. Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The entire marijuana business is Cash ONly by governmental decree. They hire armed security. I was just thinking, much of the lower class does not use or have access to credit. What about them?

The government already has them on a leash with EBT cards.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll just use gold.
The government cannot control that...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Wasn't there a situation in Canada.......

And the banks arbitrarily froze individual accounts on the "Suspicion" of subversive actions.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a business owner perspective:

Cash transactions can be slower. Once everyone is trained to pay by card, it is faster, especially with tap to pay. Stadiums, concerts, etc. can benefit.

Cash can be stolen by employees. Credit card money not so much.

Credit cards cost the business fees. That’s the trade-off.

I run a small business, high volume, low per cost transaction that is ripe for theft. About 75% of our customers pay with card. I wish it were 100%, strictly from a cash control perspective. But people still expect us to accept cash, so we do.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I do not carry cash on my person, but I have an envelope of petty cash in the truck. I use that for a rare trip to the McD's drive through, or for small local businesses where a CC charge would affect their bottom line. Otherwise it is Apple Pay wherever I can, or Visa. My small Saddleback Leather front pocket wallet will not even hold a bill unless it is folded 3 times.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I rarely use cash. Easier to use a credit card and pay once a month.

Went to the Post Office yesterday to mail an oversize envelope. Clerk says "sixty cents." I look at the credit card terminal and decide that's just too small an amount to use a card, so I fished into my wallet and found a one dollar bill.

Clerk fools around in his cash drawer, gives me a quarter, a nickel, and ten pennies. Ten pennies.

I'll use a credit card at the Post Office in the future even if it's only for three cents.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30636 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Cash is convenient with kids, you give them a couple of bucks and tell them to have fun. When the cash runs out, they’re done, if they lose it, they’re done.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by AKA T.S.:
The government, and the leftist who control it, have had a goal of the cashless society for decades.

Not even getting into the debate about removing the gold standard, portable cash that YOU carry with you and YOU have full control of, leads to freedom of association, movement, commerce, on and on. By eliminating portable cash, and demanding electronic commerce, which is controlled by others, is just another step towards CONTROL. Can you sense a pattern here?

You, personally control access to your cash. You, Personally have zero control over any electronic transaction. A simple summer storm can render your card worthless.

You understand that your cash is just as susceptible to government control, right? Digital banking just moves cash around on the back end, but having a pocket full of dollar bills and thinking you've got it handled is folly.

It's literally a sheet of paper with ink on it.

It's value and usefulness is 100% dictated by financial institutions and governments.

Sure, a few dollar bills in hand for a local disaster might be handy, but it'll likely have far less value in a global or national event. The government can literally just declare that the US Dollar is no longer official currency, and your stack of cash is worthless. It's not likely to happen here, but its happened in other countries.

I guess I should edit my post, and include the gold standard discussion after all. I intentionally bypassed the “gold Standard” aspect of rendering our currency increasingly less valuable. Hmm.

If you don’t think the government can devalue anything they want, just ask one of those GM bond holders that Obama screwed.

Posts: 47 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: July 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKA T.S.:
...just ask one of those GM bond holders that Obama screwed.

I'd forgotten that one, thanks for the reminder. So very many outrages over so very many years.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Me, almost cashless. 1.5% ca$h back on all purchases on my card.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'll just use gold.
The government cannot control that...

Well...they can sure try....
quote:
A good example of this phenomenon took place in 1933, when President Franklin Roosevelt issued an executive order commanding every American to deliver his gold coins to the federal government. It would be difficult to find a better example of dictatorship and tyranny than that.

link

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm a cash guy. I travel a lot, work and leisure. In a big city, I prefer to be pedestrian and I like to hit dive bars and restaurants, having cash makes that easier. I love dropping cash on the bar and then taking off, no need in waiting for the CC process.

It's also nice to have cash when machines are down, but I'll admit I'm the only one of my friends who carries cash anymore.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I've played around with crypto with "fun money" but the more I pay attention to traditional finance, the more I want to learn about decentralized finance.

There's a lot of room to lose your shirt, but it is interesting tech nonetheless.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Is this not something the Left is concerned about? If people can’t make it to the ID-issuing places so they can vote, how much harder is it for people like that to get credit or debit cards? I would think that all the leftist states would have laws making cashless businesses illegal.

Anyone know? (I don’t get out much.)

You're confusing the Left with the classic Liberals. They were against government intrusion and control. The Left is for control of everything and everyone - you have to support, not just accept, all lifestyles, you have to wear masks, you have to get vaccinated, you have to buy electric cars, etc.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use cash 90% of the time,
I find it wonderful . . . .
Until I visited Chick FIL A.

The girl that got my order wrong twice also got Bonnie's order wrong and !
Tried to short me $90.00 cash back
Eek

No apology, no oops!
No nothing.
Worst c.f.a. visit ever.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps local currencies could make a comeback?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have been almost cash only for years.
It's important to remember that while always carrying cash, I also always carry a pistol.

And an extra mag.

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never paid for a meal or gas with a cc.
Kroger Amazon and a few hobby websites,yes.
I've had the card for 40 years and it's never
been hacked.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I think cashLess transactions do for a younger generation is they don’t develop budget/ spending habits.
Back when I was a kid, my dad cashed his check then handed most of the money over to mom who managed the bills. Each bill mortgage utilities food etc was represented by an envelope she put the cash in. Life was simple- at the end of the month when all bills were paid, any money left over went 1/2 to savings and 1/2 to discretionary spending. Back then a simple trip to McDonald’s was discretionary spending.
So if no cash was left after all bills were paid, no additional spending happened. Much of this might be traced to my parents growing up in the Great Depression, but it taught you to be responsible to those you owed first, and to put any extravagance you desired in the back seat. Today’s society is instant gratification and people rarely deny themselves anything anymore. I think having spending discipline and waiting to buy things you can actually pay for is lost on modern society and youngsters today are being set up to be indebted to someone or some institutions forever.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the government wants a cashless economy so they tax every transaction.

make a deposit = tax
make a purchase =tax
make a transfer = tax

I believe this is their end game on a cashless economy

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post