SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gnats!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gnats! Login/Join 
posted
How do you get rid of these little buggars? I've been in this house for 28 years,
this is the most I've seen.I tried the vinegar, doesn't seem effective. I keep fruit
in the kitchen covered, but I see the most downstairs where there is no food at all.
I suppose they are harmless but they're annoying.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I recommend spraying the dirt of your potted plants with Ortho Home Defense spray. The little shits lay their eggs in the soil. The spray does NOT have a negative effect on the plants.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The first step is to identify what kind of pest you're actually dealing with. There are a few different kinds, and they have different causes and remedies.

https://prontopest.net/pest-co...nats-or-drain-flies/

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3508 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I recommend spraying the dirt of your potted plants with Ortho Home Defense spray. The little shits lay their eggs in the soil. The spray does NOT have a negative effect on the plants.

No plants in the house, though I've thought about getting some.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
The first step is to identify what kind of pest you're actually dealing with. There are a few different kinds, and they have different causes and remedies.

https://prontopest.net/pest-co...nats-or-drain-flies/

Thanks. I'll try to capture one to ID. I usually just smash them or when they fly in front of my face I clap my hands.
I'll try the baking soda and vinegar in the drains.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Last year, the Houston area had a bumper crop of drain flies and hardware stores were out of foaming drain cleaner, drain fly remedies, etc.

If it's drain flies, my experience was that dumping something down the drain wasn't sufficient. Instead, it took a multifaceted approach:
  • I had to have cider vinegar cups next to every sink for the ones flying around to land in and drown
  • I put a biofilm removal product down the drain of every sink to get rid of where they lay eggs and hatch. Probably similar to the thread's earlier link of 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup baking soda, and 1 cup of plain white vinegar.
  • I had to close the drain on every sink after every use. Gotta get the S.O. and/or kiddos on board with this for it to work.
  • Before every opening a drain, I ran the hot water to fill up the sink and then opened it. The goal was to flush away anything that had hatched.

The above took 2 or 3 weeks to rid the problem.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    I have billions of bugs outside. Not sure what they're called, we used to call them noseeums as they are so small(they don't bite though). Any and all outside lights are simply swarmed with them after dark. I had to change out all of the screens in my house to ones with a finer mesh as these little bastages would just fly right through regular screens. That makes it hard to get good ventilation through when it's hot.

If somebody could figure out what these little buggers are and how to get rid of them I'd be eternally grateful.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Call your local County Agent. THey will know immediately what they are and how to get rid of them.

Posts: 17172 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Technically Adaptive
    posted Hide Post
    They like to nest in overflow sink drains, treat those too.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for your replies. I took apart the trap on the downstairs bath and scrubbed it spotless.
    The upstairs bath never gets used, I'll close them off. That just leaves the kitchen sink.
    I'll do the soda and vinegar on each side and put a stopper on after each use. I replaced
    the disposal about a year ago and scrubbed the pipes then. Kids are grown and gone, live alone
    so it shouldn't be too hard.

Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXyz_Msfaw

Posts: 7505 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of K0ZZZ
    posted Hide Post
    I've done various other traps, vinegar, all that stuff, never did much of an improvement.

Finally did the sticky traps like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MZN1K2Y and within two days I stopped seeing any gnats in the house anywhere. That was months ago, it's been just perfect ever since.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post