SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Invited to a wedding celebration.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invited to a wedding celebration. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
How bizarre. Invited to a wedding celebration (second marriage for them both) at Eagles club. It just says join us for drinks. 1:30. Show up and it’s in the middle of an actual wedding. Place is full and they are doing the first dance.

So this is the after party but so awkward to walk into. Invite us to the wedding or don’t. Not some weird awkward invite for half of it. Okay you got the gift without feeding us. Thanks.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last wedding I attended cost north of 15K and the participants carried on like it was the second coming. Gave new meaning to the term "excessive spending".
My last wedding was in Vegas. By ourselves. Way cheaper and way more fun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
This thing was bullshit. Not even a snack to be had. They clearly had a buffet for the early part. So they got $200 out of us. We lasted 2 beers and left to get food.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What??? That does sound more like a shake down to get a wedding gift out of you instead of asking you to celebrate with them.

Stay crassy!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Total BS.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin used to have Wedding Dances. There was an ad in the paper. Did not have to know the couple. You showed up {usually at the VFW} and paid five bucks to defray the cost of the band. It also covered all the beer you wanted to drink. This was fun.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
This thing was bullshit. Not even a snack to be had. They clearly had a buffet for the early part. So they got $200 out of us. We lasted 2 beers and left to get food.

Wow. So lame, and fake. But it’s the reason I won’t go to one any longer, especially people getting married a 2nd time. Divorce rate is like 80% for people on #2 each. Best of luck to them however. I’m just not getting roped into the thing. Some of them last all damn day. All I see is a billion dollar marketing industry at work.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That's some bullshit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So we’ve been to wedding celebrations for people getting married again that were just parties. They did small wedding with family and then had a separate party. It is always clear that it was just a party, usually no gifts. This thing is just not that.

Now my wife and I had a real wedding in my back yard. It was big and elegant because she didn’t get that experience in her first marriage. But we were clear “no gifts, it’s our second marriage “. Plus we explained exactly what to expect. I didn’t expect to go into a VFW type place in dockers and a nice shirt to see a room full of suits.

These go to eleven.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If the divorce rate of 80% for 2nd marriage is correct then we might be in trouble...Married her twice... 1st was by justice of the peace in Texas then a Army chapel in Alaska.... Next anniversary will be # 49 years together. ............... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Beyond stupid. I wouldn't have gone.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we’ve been to wedding celebrations for people getting married again that were just parties. They did small wedding with family and then had a separate party. It is always clear that it was just a party, usually no gifts. This thing is just not that.

Now my wife and I had a real wedding in my back yard. It was big and elegant because she didn’t get that experience in her first marriage. But we were clear “no gifts, it’s our second marriage “. Plus we explained exactly what to expect. I didn’t expect to go into a VFW type place in dockers and a nice shirt to see a room full of suits.

That’s what I thought you were describing- a family ceremony with a larger after party..but no food? At all? That’s weird. Of course you’re there to wish them well, but I’ve never been to any version of a wedding where there wasn’t at least apps…or cake?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now my wife and I had a real wedding in my back yard. It was big and elegant because she didn’t get that experience in her first marriage.

My wife and I got married in City Hall on my lunch break from work. And we both have zero regrets after over 30 years of marriage.

We used the money saved from a wedding for our first house, purchased in a down market. One of the best decisions we ever made.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Now my wife and I had a real wedding in my back yard. It was big and elegant because she didn’t get that experience in her first marriage.

My wife and I got married in City Hall on my lunch break from work. And we both have zero regrets after over 30 years of marriage.

We used the money saved from a wedding for our first house, purchased in a down market. One of the best decisions we ever made.

That makes absolute sense when just starting out. We are in our 50s, married last year. We had the means to do a nice wedding that my wife deserved. It was an awesome party. I mean any party where you end up in the pool is a great time.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
Stupid daylight savings time, grrrrrr

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I hate weddings. Don't know why, maybe because I could be doing more fun things, like cleaning my garage and tool boxes or cutting grass on my riding tractor.

BUT, I likely have TWO actual weddings coming up for daughters, and since they will be simple affairs and because we like the future husbands (actual real men not woke pussies etc.), I'm looking forward to those. One will be a more traditional wedding, and the other will be more of a party, given the very different personalities of those two lovely young women. But I plan on going hungry for both.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a wedding and reception once and the bride and groom explicitly insisted people go to the bride's parents house for an after party. I tried to say no, as I knew this was unusual, but the bride kept insisting. We show up to the parents house along with 20 other people. The parents are confused, tired, and want to go to bed. The bride and groom pull up in a Limo. They are heavily intoxicated and the bride screams "Pool Party!" I went up to her father and asked: "Do you want me to clear this place out?" He said no. As he tiredly shuffled towards his bedroom he said: "Don't let anyone drive."

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an uncle that was married four times.
You figure he would have learned his lesson after marriage number two. If something happens to my wife I’d get myself a live in girlfriend. Finally, we never figure out how many kids he had.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post