SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How about using real names for people in the news?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about using real names for people in the news? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
At least in serious threads—?

I believe this has been raised before, but the first few hundred times someone’s name is corrupted into something like a bathroom fixture or a term that sounds faintly like the original, we can sit around and chuckle about how clever it is. After that, however, it just gets old to see it over and over as important topics are discussed.

Most of the people we don’t like are disliked for genuine reasons, and it shouldn’t be necessary to try to enhance the dislike by juvenile name-calling.

And keep in mind that referring to someone by the name of a bathroom fixture actually enhances their status over what they deserve. Bathroom fixtures serve useful purposes, they don’t deliberately strive to make people’s lives miserable, and we can ignore them and not have them around if we don’t want them. Unlike some people.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Most of the people we don’t like are disliked for genuine reasons, and it shouldn’t be necessary to try to enhance the dislike by juvenile name-calling.

Totally agree.

This had gotten old well over a decade ago, when every single forum thread was littered with references to "Obozo"/"Obummer"/etc.

Same goes for terms like DemoRats, libtards, etc.

You're a grown adult. Stupid nicknames doesn't do anything to enhance the point you're trying to make, or add anything legitimate to conveying your dislike/frustration. Use your (real) words.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree as well, but can I still use Bathhouse Barry? I kind of like that one. Big Grin

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I agree as well, but can I still use Bathhouse Barry? I kind of like that one. Big Grin

I'm partial to Krimson Kenyan. Big Grin

Posts: 6599 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about using real names for people in the news?
Agree. Use facts to make the point, instead of sounding like a grade-school, name-calling, kid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always found it lends instant credibility to my argument when I identify the other guys behavior as juvenile or immature.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1991 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Another “agree” here.

Thanks for the reminder. I needed it too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Agree and mea culpa.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree 1K% sigfreund, the habit is just plain juvenile.

Posts: 542 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I have no problems being juvenile, when discussing maggots. And that's all I have to say about that.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I have no problems being juvenile, when discussing maggots. And that's all I have to say about that.

Well said and I totally agree.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. Fuck 'em. Sideways.

Potato Joe, Kaptain Kenya, Mittens, DeSanctimonious, Eyepatch McCain. etc.

Fuck 'em.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17228 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Concur, I see the folks who are the 2A communities ardent enemy as indefensible, but then again I probably wasn't the target audience anyway.

<><

Posts: 1991 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
I see the folks who are the 2A communities ardent enemy as indefensible

It has nothing to do with defending them, and everything to do with demonstrating that you are capable of holding mature discussions on real-world topics without resorting to calling people you don't like the equivalent of "doo-doo head" and "booger face".

Use facts and actual words to deride them for their choices and actions, not just by putting some infantile twist on their name.

It's right there in the tagline of the forum... Quality discussion. Wink

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna run out of words we can use to disparage minor behavior we don't like pretty soon.

So far juvenile, immature, kid, infantile are taken? Checking a thesaurus for any more.

Edit: Almost missed 'grown adult'. Thats a zinger too. Big Grin

<><

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
I see the folks who are the 2A communities ardent enemy as indefensible

It has nothing to do with defending them, and everything to do with demonstrating that you are capable of holding mature discussions on real-world topics without resorting to calling people you don't like the equivalent of "doo-doo head" and "booger face".

Use facts and actual words to deride them for their choices and actions, not just by putting some infantile twist on their name.

It's right there in the tagline of the forum... Quality discussion. Wink

So in essence, we are calling out people for calling people names by calling the called out name calling people names.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm calling out their actions, using my words. Not name-calling.

If I were doing what this thread is about, it would involve complaining about (for example) "crapper189" or "enstinkmatic"...

posted Hide Post
Hmm, I might have to borrow those. Lol. Context I think is important. If I was writing an editorial to try to reach people and sway opinions then using childlike language will not be effective. On a discussion forum such as this or talking to friends or family? Be as childlike as you wish.

Pedo Joe isn’t going to alter the message on this forum. Getting your panties engorged over it won’t change behavior either.

My stance has always been simple and has always led me astray on this forum. It’s a discussion board. If we all agree it is monumentally boring. I find most monikers pretty lame. Occasionally one of you guys comes up with one that I find clever and makes me chuckle. For that alone I say continue. When you get a gig at the WSJ then maybe not so much.

Plus if it gets overused enough we got “RIP” para to keep us in check. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
John Lyly is attributed with saying, "All is fair in love and war." If anyone thinks what is going on today ISN'T war, then they haven't been paying attention.

As pedropcola stated, if I were writing a formal article in the WSJ describing the ineptitude of President Diapers, then I'd be formal and describe and refer to President Showers with Children on a professional level.

But here in SIGforum? Pffff....it's open season, buddy! "All is fair..."

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See? That right there is what I am talking about. With your artificial limits I would have never known about President Showers with Children. lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post