SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anxiety/depression…it can be soul crushing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anxiety/depression…it can be soul crushing Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Find a trustworthy therapist, one who's not calling every authority to red flag you. A peer support group for your occupation or veteran status is a good place to start.

Posts: 2408 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Ronin1069, you have mail.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 30001 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it. Been dealing with it for most of my life.
Meds don't work, therapy doesn't work. I've basically accepted that, for me, it's to be endured, not treated.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 592 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Anxiety was a thing for me while I was dealing with the death and estate of my mother. It was by far worse in the morning. I could deal with it but it wasn't pleasant. If it was a permanent situation for the rest of my life I'd already have seen a doctor. But, it wasn't things returned to normal after her estate was closed. Knock on wood. Hopefully, I'll never have to deal with it again.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
A great story about depression involving a local FB. Great read. You should also watch the linked video.

Utah State's Blake Anderson addresses death of son, announces mental health initiative
https://www.ksl.com/article/50...l-health-initiative-

Last year at this time, my father was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He is now on hospice. Earlier this year, one of my kids was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Late June, I got diagnosed with a life-altering disease that will slowly take me. It's been a crappy year. I've learned you can't ignore depression as it won't go away.

Posts: 11876 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I echo others recommendations to make an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist. I recently heard a great quote that is applicable for this thread:
quote:
Getting diagnosed is just information about you that helps you know how to take better care of yourself.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 21233 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I appreciate and am grateful for all of the feedback and stories offered in this thread.

Thank you, all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 11687 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ronin,

Sorry to be a little late to this post and to your struggles. I agree with others who have said that there is a stigma with men being able to talk about things like this and where they can get help.

I myself have been working with a therapist for a few years on anxiety and confidence issues, while I still have some ways to go, it has definitely helped.

I know from past posts that you and I are in the same area. My therapist is a bit specialized given my profession, but they are very in tune with other providers in our area especially those who work with veterans like yourself. Please feel free to reach out to me at the email address in my profile if I can be of any assistance to you.

Thanks and God bless.

Posts: 279 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Just checking in to see how you’re holding up.

Posts: 13270 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post