SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A run on Peanut Butter now? Man what is next. Pricing is crazy on everything now too
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A run on Peanut Butter now? Man what is next. Pricing is crazy on everything now too Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
2 weeks in a row, different grocery stores, PB is gone. Is this the new toilet paper scare or are people switching their food habits because of inflation? Either way, annoying. I use peanut butter as a quick fix to make something as I try to consume 200-225 grams of protein a day for muscle recovery from the gym. I have to cook every day so it’s nice to have to make something quick. All during the last 2 years the grocery store doesn’t have X. Always out of this or that, but usually a mild annoyance. But this is the first time I’ve seen runs on PB. I buy a low sugar version which they have at virtually every grocery store but they don’t carry this version at Costco or I’d buy it there. Hit the bread/PB/Jelly aisle, and it looks like a storm came through. The only kinds left are bougie/boutique stuff with full sugar, full fat, double the price to boot. In the grand scheme of things not that big of a deal just getting tired of going to the grocery store and x, y, or z is gone. That’s what is fucking pissing me off. 3 months of this, fine. 6 months fine. This is over 2 years straight of this shit. It’s always something.

I buy canned carbonated water also and the price has doubled. I try to stay out of politics the best I can but I’m started to get real fucking pissed at the raising and his minions. Get some shit done you clowns.

Then I had my pool guy come through for annual equipment inspection and to clean my filter. I maintain it myself but keep him on the roster as sometimes things will break that I don’t have time to fix or past my capability. Before all this madness started I replaced my main filter and grids. Also put in a new heater. He said all my equipment has doubled in price and they said it’s not coming back down. He said some of his customers have sold their houses over this recently and others have bitched when writing the check. Can’t say I blame them. If all these price increases are here to stay it’s a whole new world I can no longer afford.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would head to the Asian market and buy couple 15 pound bags of brown rice. It is on sale at Lottes Plaza.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There was a recall on Jif due to salmonella, and that translated to "AllaPeanutButterPocalypse!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Oscar Meyer all-beef bologna is nearly $7 for a pound now. Yes, one will last me through a work week (I usually "brown-bag" lunch), but going from $5 pre-Potato to $7 is a 40% increase.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two 48 ounce jars of Jif from Costco. The lot numbers that were recalled.
I'm afraid to eat it, had food poisoning 15 years ago, it was terrible. At the grocery
me and another lady got to the PB at the same time. No Jif,no Skippy, two jars of Kroger
brand. She took one I took the other. Bought some celerey, it's ok.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
There is peanut butter around here just no Jif.

Young wife still working but I am retired and do most of the shopping. Been a real eye opener this last year.

$5 for a jar of Helmans mayo. Soda pop prices up about 50 percent. Milk up 50 percent. Eggs almost double. $5 for a medium size bage of name brand chips if not on sale.

For some reason pork is dirt cheap, like $2 a pound for center cut loin pork chops. Usually NY strip steak is on sale for almost the same price as ground beef.

Deli prices through the roof, probably 50 percent on average. When did American cheese become so valuable? Used to get Kraukus ham for $4 a pound now $7 a pound.

Pretty much everything else up 10 to 30 percent.

I used to think ammo prices would settle down quite a bit lower than they have been for the last 8 or so momths but I now believe ammo prices are now at the new normal.

Can't imagine what it must be like for retired people on fixed income without significant savings especially if renting.

I bet property tax bills will be a shocker for a lot of us next year. Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
LGB
FJB

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^
LGB
FJB

Wait, it's Putin's fault.
No, scratch that, it's the Republicans.
Nope, neither of them, it's the oil companies fault.
I mean.....

I agree erj.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Did you hear? The raisin put out a memo to the oil companies. I’m expecting barrel prices to plummet now that the oil companies got a memo. Should be $3 gas real soon Roll Eyes

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I got roobed twice going to the grocery store. Once at the checkout register and then again when I filled up the gas tank on the Honda Accord for fucking $75. People all around were screaming at their gasomline bill in a voice that combines laughter and horror.

We pretty much quit going out to eat. Burgers, fries, sodas, and tip for the two of us almost $50. I make burgers at home and save $40 which is about half a tank of gas.

It's insane that WE are subsidizing the war in Ukraine when we fill our gas tanks and pay our heating bills which leads to even higher energy prices and massive worldwide shortages including food grains which will further drive up food prices and availability.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like a 2 ingredient peanut butter - peanuts and salt. I don't like peanut butter where they add other oils, sugar, sugar substitutes (e.g. maltodextrin), and words I cannot pronounce. I'd much rather stir a jar when I open it (i.e. the oil separates) than have all of that other crap in there.

I recently found Santa Cruz Organic peanut butter on Amazon. I get it monthly subscribe & save for $4.92 per jar. They have dark roast creamy, dark roast crunchy, light roast creamy (I get this one), and light roast crunchy. 55 mg seems like the perfect amount of salt. In summary - it has a great taste, great price, it magically appears on my doorstep, and I like the ingredient list.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When I want some basic peanuts and salt mix that requires stirring Adams tops my list. When I just as soon forego that struggle Skippy Natural is the go-to.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
There is peanut butter around here just no Jif.

I noticed the same thing when I went grocery shopping a couple days ago. No Jif, but plenty of Adams and some Skippy. And the Safeway/Albertsons "Signature" house brand, whatever that is. I assume they pulled all the Jif regardless of the lot numbers.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We haven't had creamy Jif around here for months. I decided long ago that that was my favorite and was reminded why when I grabbed some creamy Skippy because we're out of Jif. Good Lord that Skippy stuff if awful! Took one bite of toast and tossed it and the rest of the jar in the trash. I'll go without until the Jif is back.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Now's the perfect time to change, and don't ever look back! You can thank me later... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I'll go without until the Jif is back.
You're a choosy mother.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I'll go without until the Jif is back.
You're a choosy mother.

LOL.

I tried a healthier? one that needs to be refrigerated. When cold there is no way to evenly spread it on bread or toast w/o tearing it up.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post