SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ticks!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks!!! Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
We had a warm winter, and now we're paying for it. My son and I took the dog for a walk today in the local Fish and Game area, and came out of the woods covered with ticks. We went home and gave the dog a bath right away, and figured all was well.

Then my other son who didn't even go with us, but was playing out in the front yard, found a tick on himself. He got a shower.

This evening we took the dog for another walk down the road and when we got home he curled up on my wife's lap and fell asleep. I went out to the garage to clean a couple of rifles, and the next thing I know she's coming out the door freaking out because a tick crawled off the dog onto her. I told her I'd give him another bath as soon as I got done with the rifles, which only took like 5 minutes, but by the time I got inside she'd already done it. She's now inspecting the recliner with a flashlight. Wife is not a fan of ticks!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

You need a passel o' possums!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They’re hell on June Bugs, too.
Possums, I mean.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Call your veterinarian.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ticks are just nasty. The diseases they carry can absolutely devastate. These are definitely kill with fire critters.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up 92fs, I don't think I'm that far from you. I don't ever remember ticks in March !

Posts: 933 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they've gotten bad. Real bad.

We never saw them up north at the cabin of one of my best friends. Mosquitoes and biting flies were the worst you had to worry about. Now, once the weather turns warm, the area's lousy with them Frown

Long pants, long socks, long-sleeved shirts, wide-brimmed hats, and liberal application of bug and tick spray on you, your clothes, your hats (incl. inside them), and you may avoid them if you stay out of the brush and long grass. May.

I told my buddy that, were I him, I'd have pros out there spraying down the entire area around cabin, outdoor kitchen, pole barns, and shooting ranges out to at least a hundred feet out around them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

You need a passel o' possums!

I'm a big fan of possums and like having them around. Anything that eats ticks is ok by me!

I'm starting to think Agent Orange might be an appropriate response, despite the side effects. Or maybe a water-bomber full of permethyrn. We like to spend a lot of time in the woods, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with this all year.

I hate ticks, but my wife has a truly deep-seated and visceral hatred for the things. On one of our trips out west we stopped at Prairie Dog State Park in northern Kansas, just as a stopover for the night. It's a pretty open, unforested environment as one might imagine. Having been cooped up in the car driving all day we took advantage of the trails and went for a walk. By the time we got half a mile we were literally brushing the ticks off of us...I've never seen them so bad. We thought we had them all dealt with before we got in the trailer to go to bed, but I got woken up in the middle of the night by my wife eviscerating one with a pocket knife six inches from my head.

Ticks bring out a side of that otherwise peaceful and loving woman that the world has never seen, lol. Every time we go west now, I try to sneak Prairie Dog State Park onto the itinerary, just to get the reaction Big Grin. We haven't been back...

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Or get some chickens.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Or get some chickens.

Been down that road. If we had more space so they could free-range I'd probably do it again. But our situation just isn't conducive. Chickens won't help away from the house, either.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Spring and Fall are the bad time for ticks. I wish I had chickens or other ground feeding birds.

I've had good success keeping them off my dog by using a Seresto collar. In fact it's the only prevention I've tried (including pills, Hartz collar, drops on the shoulders, etc.) that works.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my father nearly died after he got Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a tick bite. Nasty things that serve no purpose.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, damn. At least chickens and Guinea hens are drill gtg.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting study, and I'm glad you shared it because it definitely seems like there are some issues with that rumor. That said, even if they're not hunting them down and eating them, they're still killing them when grooming themselves, and I'm sure they pick up quite a few in their coats just walking around out in the woods so, they're still a net positive and on the right side of this fight! Killing them or eating them, makes no difference to me provided they end up dead!

quote:
Squirrels and the half-dozen opossums in the study seemed to rid themselves of the most ticks, allegedly killing 83 to 96.5 percent of the ticks, with the opossums on the higher end of the scale.

I didn't know that about squirrels, either...I guess I'll have to give the furry little bastards a little more appreciation going forward!

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Permethrin for your clothes and boots for sure.

If I get the “allergic to red meat” thing, I’m out. Not worth living life if burgers and ribeyes are off limits.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

If I get the “allergic to red meat” thing, I’m out. Not worth living life if burgers and ribeyes are off limits.

Yeah... definitely with you in spirit, and practice. With my diabetes-driven diet these days, if I couldn't eat meat there wouldn't be anything left that I could eat!

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I don’t need steak but I get you, I want a got damn hamburger once in a while. My rural land, borders a national forest with a fuck ton of deer and ticks are a thing there. But I know people there who have lived their entire lives dealing with ticks. Permethrin for sure. When I get my metal building built I’m just gonna pay someone to Agent Orange the surrounding areas so at least I won’t have to worry about the K-9 unit constantly getting them.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go into an area with ticks you need to take at a minimum the precaution of treating your clothes. And even better you clothes and yourself. And inspecting everybody when you get home. I have no idea why you think a bath for the dog does anything? Unless we are talking a tick killing shampoo in which case your choice is simply not working.
I hate ticks have been really sick from a tick infection. Possums are not winners. But birds are. We use guinea hens and they have cut the tick population in our pastures substantially. Not zero but way better.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no idea why you think a bath for the dog does anything?

Because we're using flea and tick shampoo.