SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dammit Google! Knock it off!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dammit Google! Knock it off! Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Got a Tesla, they can track you, your driving speed, location, time, won't be long until the sell it. You'll find someone creating a central database on driver habits by vin, name etc, you will get rated based on how you drive, where you really park, red lights you run, making your car send data in real time...

Makes me appreciate my 68 Mustang more and more every day.

Gustofer, I share your outrage.
I love much of the old school products for this very reason.

Just be aware that most (if not all) tires have embedded RFID chips in them. It's been that way for many years. Goodyear began exploring RFID technology as far back as 1984 and was putting it in tires around 1993. A 68 Mustang with org. tires should be good to go however. Big Grin

Government Agencies and Tech Companies are tracking vehicles in a number of ways.
Fact checkers like USA Today are flat out lying about it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...tracking/3272138001/

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mark123…could you please create a block diagram of what you recommended, and under the blocks place exact specifications / make and model of the objects?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Well a coworker and I were researching TVs at work on the work computers. Our phones were present. They are not connected to work's wifi. We were throwing model numbers back and forth. We did NO searching on our phones.

Later when using our phones, we had ads for the tvs we were talking about.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Well a coworker and I were researching TVs at work on the work computers. Our phones were present. They are not connected to work's wifi. We were throwing model numbers back and forth. We did NO searching on our phones.

Later when using our phones, we had ads for the tvs we were talking about.

Yeah, they track you across platforms. Piece of cake for them, assuming one doesn't take steps.

For example
Log into 'account' on PC (or, having logged in before and not logged out, you're still logged in)

Browse with cookies enabled (or, well, not disabled)

Most aspects of every page you visit are tagged and analyzeable because of individually produced invisible 'cookies' with all those details coded

Cookie details saved on their server, tied to your account

Fire up phone, logged into same account

Phone checks in with server, sees if any ads are applicable to the new activity

Voila. You see the targeted ad, Google revenues go up.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Mark123…could you please create a block diagram of what you recommended, and under the blocks place exact specifications / make and model of the objects?
I did this all from memory but I think it's all there. If you have any issues with it I'll redo it while setting up a new pihole.

I didn't include the piVPN part that I normally install because it involves setting up a dynamic DNS, pointing it to your home network, opening a port through your router and setting up the VPN on your mobile devices. If you want that set up I can work on it.

Hope this helps.

I can also set up an SD card for you if you’d like. Then you can just stick it in your pi and plug it in.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark123. I do like the thought of having at least one fortress from which to access the WWW. Looks like the control language is Unix. I’ll see if there is a place to purchase the hardware around here.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Yeah, they track you across platforms. Piece of cake for them, assuming one doesn't take steps.

Phone checks in with server, sees if any ads are applicable to the new activity

But I didn’t. I used the dayshift boss’ computer to search. I never logged into any of my accounts on his computer. My phone doesn’t use wifi or Bluetooth anything at work. In fact my wifi and Bluetooth are always turned off. It was just weird I opened up my yahoo mail app and a bunch of tv ads.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I was using DuckDuckGo to search for some things and noticed they have an app that blocks tracking on Android phones. Has anyone given this thing a try yet?

Introducing App Tracking Protection for Android: The easiest way to block trackers lurking in your apps

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post