SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Expensive groceries
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expensive groceries Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm smoking some homemade bacon this afternoon and wanted to have BLTs for dinner. Stopped by the store this morning and picked up two tomatoes and one bunch of lettuce.

$6.71 Mad

Damn I'm getting tired of this shit!

Only part of it is inflation. The other part is the price gouging family that owns the store. The nearest competition is 30 miles away so they know they can get away with it. Fuckers.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Customer: "Three dollars? You know what you can do with those three dollar tomatoes?"

Grocer: "Please, lady. I already have a four dollar cucumber there."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s been reported on, that even the major grocery chain stores, are doing the same thing. Price gouging. They claim supply this and that, cost of this and that, and I read up on it, and today it’s all bullshit.

I eat 4 super fruits daily. Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Only until recently have strawberries got back to anything resembling reasonable pricing. They were $3-4 high for a container of them at Costco for I don’t know how long. Over a year. Raspberries were high too for a while. For the past year, until now, I was just buying frozen instead of fresh. I have definitely dialed back what I spend on groceries and almost completely eliminated dining out.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It’s been reported on, that even the major grocery chain stores, are doing the same thing. Price gouging. They claim supply this and that, cost of this and that, and I read up on it, and today it’s all bullshit.

I eat 4 super fruits daily. Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Only until recently have strawberries got back to anything resembling reasonable pricing. They were $3-4 high for a container of them at Costco for I don’t know how long. Over a year. Raspberries were high too for a while. For the past year, until now, I was just buying frozen instead of fresh. I have definitely dialed back what I spend on groceries and almost completely eliminated dining out.

Price gouging? Supermarkets?

You'd be shocked at how thin their margins are

No, this is ALL driven by the price of diesel which is what gets all this stuff to the markets.

There are other factors too like the fact that all of this is out of season and farmers are being hit with huge price increases too.

We use a lot of vanilla extract with the baking that the wife and I do and it's now like 8 bucks a bottle even at Aldi which used to be 2 bucks. Turns out there's a huge shortage of the stuff due to all sorts of factors like wars and bad weather. Chocolate is skyrocketing too due to Africa being a complete mess.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I try to support the local store even though their prices are high but when she rang up $12 for a loaf of homemade sourdough bread it was just too much and I put it back on the shelf.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not so much gouging as it is the effects of inflation.
I think the only way to combat is when sales drop and they have to lower prices.
However, there is some artificially increase in prices, in many industries that do it because they can and we have been accustomed to increases due to the vid-excuse.
Something has got to give. Frown

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

No, this is ALL driven by the price of diesel which is what gets all this stuff to the markets.

There are other factors too like the fact that all of this is out of season and farmers are being hit with huge price increases too.

We use a lot of vanilla extract with the baking that the wife and I do and it's now like 8 bucks a bottle even at Aldi which used to be 2 bucks. Turns out there's a huge shortage of the stuff due to all sorts of factors like wars and bad weather. Chocolate is skyrocketing too due to Africa being a complete mess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...s-gouge/73059901007/

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

And who do they work for? This guy who is trying to deflect that his own shitty policies are causing most of this?

Biden Blames Corporate Greed

C'mon man I know you are smarter than this. You really think grocery stores WANT to charge people $7 for a bag of chips?

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

3% is their margin if I recall correctly.

Transportation costs have skyrocketed. Not sure on the price of diesel but regular gas here is $3.45/gallon of regular. Truckers seem to be harder to come by so the remaining truckers can charge more for their services.

From what I've seen, if the price doesn't increase, the quantity decreases.

The American consumer is getting fucked hard now. Anyone regular American who claims they're better off now than 4 years ago has TDS or they're lying or both.

Interest rates are sky high, home prices are still high, rent prices are high.

Every expense has gone up while income has remained the same.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Transportation costs have skyrocketed. Not sure on the price of diesel but regular gas here is $3.45/gallon of regular. Truckers seem to be harder to come by so the remaining truckers can charge more for their services.

The American consumer is getting fucked hard now. Anyone regular American who claims they're better off now than 4 years ago has TDS or they're lying or both.

It's actually closer to 1% and many things they sell they plan to lose money on to get you in there to hopefully offset it.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And who do they work for? This guy who is trying to deflect that his own shitty policies are causing most of this?

Biden Blames Corporate Greed

C'mon man I know you are smarter than this. You really think grocery stores WANT to charge people $7 for a bag of chips?

There is no need for fucking insults, at all. Totally uncalled for. Similar articles from most every publication have been published. Don’t shoot the fucking messenger. Geez.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sorry man, I wasn't trying to insult you at all. I apologize here for that line.

I do think there is gouging being done by some but I don't think it's grocery stores. If anyone could be accused of this, I'd call out McDonald's whose prices have gotten ludicrous.

posted Hide Post
If there is gouging, it would be with pet food. My cat food went from $2.99 a bag to $6.99 a bag. Even on sale, it runs $5.99 to $6.50.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Took my two sons through the Culver’s drive through last week. No drinks, no custard, just two plain cheeseburgers with ketchup, two cheese curds, and a walleye dinner. Get to the window and she says $55. I responded in the most incredulous voice ever “HOW MUCH?!?!”. I’m serious, the poor girl jumped back a foot from the window. I apologized, she listed what we ordered with their prices, then offered 10% off.

I feel the same at the grocery store. HOW MUCH?!?!

The government seriously screwed we the people with the whole COVID thing and printing money to keep people home and not working. The government continues to screw we the people by printing more money to feed and shelter the millions of illegals they are allowing into the country. It’s crazy, we the people are competing against our own government for food.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
False. Diesel prices are lower than they were a year ago, and about 4 cents lower than before Putin invaded Ukraine a little over 2 years ago. In other words, diesel prices have fallen but in the same time period grocery prices have done the opposite.
quote:
It's actually closer to 1% and many things they sell they plan to lose money on to get you in there to hopefully offset it.
Got a link for that assertion? Modern data not some historical average rendered usesless by recent events.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
You really think grocery stores WANT to charge people $7 for a bag of chips?

Honestly, I think they’d happily charge $10 for that bag of chips if they think they could get away with it. Modern corporate culture is to get absolutely every possible cent of revenue possible for this quarter, don’t worry about next quarter or next year, or three years from now. Corporations don’t care about the long term any more, just quarter to quarter because that’s how they maximize their compensation. I’m not saying that external factors haven’t worsened inflationary pressures, but I am saying that if the leaders of a corporation can use absolutely ANY excuse to cover for raising prices, they will absolutely do so for as long as they can get away with it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5613 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but I will respectfully disagree with that last line. When the McDonald’s jacked their wages up to $18 an hour and every business around them has to suddenly jump their wages to even compete with a burger flipper, I would say that income has gone up..at least for the type of employment that doesn’t always require a college degree.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
..at least for the type of employment that doesn’t always require a college degree.

We used to joke that the most commonly uttered phrase by graduates of the other state school in Montana was, "Would you like fries with that, sir?".

It's not so far from the truth nowadays. Razz

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't enjoy shopping at four different stores for our groceries to save $40.00.

If I were not retired, it wouldn't be happening.

But ,Three times a month .

I save enough to make a difference.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post