SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NRA - That time of year again…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA - That time of year again… Login/Join 
Winner
posted
It seems to be the time for incessant calls from the NRA, about the super special deal that they have, just for me, to upgrade my membership, and how important is for me “to do it right F’ing now!”, in the middle of my dinner.

I’ve been a member of the NRA for at least 4 decades, and a Life Member (Patron I believe) for something around 2 decades. At this point I’m somewhat accustomed and desensitized to their Chicken Little “The sky is falling!” fundraising phone calls. For years I did contribute, but I seemed to detect a pattern after a while, that the NRA seemed happier with a fundraising crisis, than actual victories. Their award to Ajit Pai, seemed to veer out of their lane a bit. The reports of Wayne LaPierre spending NRA money on nepotism and a rock star lifestyle, if accurate, is a bit of a turn-off as well. Not to mention the bankruptcy filing that seemed questionable.

Am I just getting old and curmudgeonly, or are my thoughts that GOA, and my state rifle association, are a better place to spend my money accurate?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jlb226,

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way. My contributions go to - GOA, 2A Foundation, and my state rifle association. Wayne really needs to go.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you but every single gun club I’ve ever belonged to required an NRA membership. Not any way to get around that.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to, I am about to pony up my yearly contribution to Wayne. Should be good for a new necktie or a couple of gallons of fuel for the jet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I hear you but every single gun club I’ve ever belonged to required an NRA membership. Not any way to get around that.
I asked why this was a requirement at the club that I belong to. The answer was "mumble mumble insurance mumble mumble."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30529 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm unaware of any of the ranges in the TampaBay area (not that there are that many) that require NRA memberships to shoot at their property.

However, I've been a Life Member for many, many years (not sure anymore how many) but with the scandals involving LaPierre's alleged improper use of the organizations monies, I have never upgraded and do not send money to them.

My wife was getting ready to upgrade to Life, but the allegations ticked her off and she refused to remain even an annual member until very recently. She rejoined as an annual member-had to do with one of the insurance programs they offered for which she had to be a member, but doesn't send them any money.

She still tosses her NRA magazine right in the trash when it arrives. I confess that I do the same.

We have not found another organization to join or contribute to, so I spend that money on knives, ammo and, once in a while, a new gun.

As to the NRA fund raising calls, I told them, maybe 20 years ago when I got a call, not to call any more. And they haven't.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:

I'm unaware of any of the ranges in the TampaBay area (not that there are that many) that require NRA memberships to shoot at their property.
The club I belong to does not require NRA membership to shoot there, if the shooter is a guest of a club member. However, in order to join the club as a member, NRA membership is required.

There is an annual renewal form for our club membership; one of the requirements is to show proof of NRA membership. I don't bother with this, and when the club secretary questioned me about it, I told her that I had previously submitted proof of NRA lifetime membership, and my life had not yet expired.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30529 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've received their final notice letter several times. Apparently, I'm Steve Howe and they're major league baseball as they keep giving me more chances. I'm not holding my breath that they're going to stop asking for money if I keep ignoring them. My terms are clear, y'all get nothing as long as:
  • the swamp rat Wayne LaPierre is in charge.
  • the board of director is no more than 9 members. It's intentionally 76 people as there is no way 76 people can agree and the NRA executives can do whatever they want.

In the meantime, Texas State Rifle Association keeps racking up wins and I keep giving them money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    Life Member here. Used to received them all the time. They all went to trash. Then, one day, they just stopped coming. Never opted out of anything. Never called them to let them have it. They just stopped. Interesting.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Let me be clear if I wasn’t before. I’ve never had to show membership to SHOOT at any club or range. I have had to show membership in the NRA to be a member in every single club/range I’ve ever joined. That has been in multiple clubs in multiple states.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Busier than a cat covering
    crap on a marble floor
    Picture of Z06
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 12131:
    Life Member here. Used to received them all the time. They all went to trash. Then, one day, they just stopped coming. Never opted out of anything. Never called them to let them have it. They just stopped. Interesting.

Same story here. Patron Life for 30+ years, I signed up my 1st grandson as a Life Member when he was 9 months old... he's now 15 and no calls/mail either.

Posts: 3991 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    Why do some clubs affiliate with and require NRA membership?
    A long The longest history of promoting firearms safety, training, competitions, hunter safety, instructor training in the USA.

https://adventure.howstuffwork...rganizations/nra.htm

Indeed, the NRA — an organization with nearly 5 million members — had worked hard to help elect Trump. At one crucial moment in the campaign in early October, for example, the organization reportedly spent $6.5 million on a 30-second television spot, which ran on national cable channels and broadcast networks in critical battleground states like Ohio, Nevada and Virginia. In the ad, a woman who used a pistol in her purse to defend herself from a knife-wielding attacker compared Trump favorably to his opponent Democrat Hillary Clinton, a supporter of stricter gun control laws. "Donald Trump supports my right to own a gun," the woman proclaimed [source: Wheaton].

According to one analysis, in addition to spending $30.3 million to support Trump, the NRA put another $20 million into six competitive U.S. Senate races in 2016, and its favored candidates — all Republicans — all prevailed [source: Spies and Balcerzak].

Trump showed his gratitude by becoming the first sitting president in 34 years to address the NRA gathering [source: Parks]. The appearance was an indication of how far the NRA — founded in 1871 by two former Union Army officers who wanted to improve Americans' marksmanship — had come as potent political force in fighting restrictions on gun rights. It wasn't just money that helped the NRA to win elections. As George Stephanopoulos, the TV newsman and former adviser to President Bill Clinton, once explained, "Let me make one small vote for the NRA. They're good citizens. They call their congressmen. They write. They vote. They contribute. And they get what they want over time" [source: Sottile].

In addition to its political advocacy, the NRA — which had a budget of $303.5 million in 2015, according to its tax return — does plenty of other things to support gun ownership in the U.S. [source: ProPublica]. About 1 million people a year attend its firearms courses, and the organization proclaims itself to be "the gold standard" in gun safety training [source: NRA]. It also promotes recreational sport shooting competitions at 11,000 sanctioned events [source: NRA] And the organization even markets insurance policies (called NRA Carry Guard) for those who arm themselves for self-defense, providing them with as much as $1 million in coverage to defray the costs of defending civil lawsuits.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    They've really worked hard at alienating themselves from their members and potential members, its sad to see.

Posts: 21040 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns....cheme-in-us-history/

"From SB Tactical . . .

SB Tactical, in conjunction with the Firearms Regulatory Accountability Coalition (FRAC), B&T USA, Rick Cicero, and a massive coalition of states, has filed a lawsuit against the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) challenging the legality of a federal rule that reverses a decade of relied upon agency precedent and retroactively bans or forces the registration of millions of pistols equipped with stabilizing braces, contrary to federal statutes enacted by Congress.
    “Under the guise of ‘public safety,’ the ATF has placed millions of law-abiding firearm owners in legal jeopardy,” said Jeff Creamer, president and CEO of SB Tactical. “It’s a gross overreach of the Bureau’s authority and, if allowed to stand, will result in the largest gun registration scheme in U.S. history.”

FRAC, as lead plaintiff, filed the litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota. A coalition of 25 states, led by West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey and North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley, have also echoed the demands for accountability by joining this litigation against the ATF.

“As we’ve seen with similar cases like Cargill v. Garland, wherein FRAC, SB Tactical, and B&T USA all appeared as amici curiae, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals held that such regulatory overreaches are not within the ATF’s authority,” said Travis White, president and CEO of FRAC. “We feel that there is a positive trend towards regulatory accountability in the Courts, and we are confident that the Courts will continue to hold the ATF accountable for their pattern of regulatory overreach and ever-shifting positions.”

In addition to encouraging all manufacturers who are frustrated by the ATF’s arbitrary and capricious approach to regulation to join FRAC, SB Tactical would also like to sincerely thank the National Rifle Association (NRA) for their tremendous support and assistance with this litigation.
    The filing:
    https://storage.courtlistener....ts.ndd.57801.1.0.pdf

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mensch
    Picture of kz1000
    posted Hide Post
    I'm an NRA member only because my shooting club requires it. I block all their phone calls and throw all their mailings in the trash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
    -Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pedropcola:

I have had to show membership in the NRA to be a member in every single club/range I’ve ever joined.
    I think that NRA has some sort of insurance deal for insuring gun clubs, but a requirement for this insurance program is that all club members must be NRA members.

This is true at the club I belong to. If / when I bring a non-club member guest, to shoot at the club, that guest does not need to be an NRA member, but there is a ten dollar / day fee for guests, allegedly for insurance.

If a non club member shoots in an IDPA match at the club, the $10 fee is added to the match fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    I think that NRA has some sort of insurance deal for insuring gun clubs, but a requirement for this insurance program is that all club members must be NRA members.

This is true at the club I belong to. If / when I bring a non-club member guest, to shoot at the club, that guest does not need to be an NRA member, but there is a ten dollar / day fee for guests, allegedly for insurance.

If a non club member shoots in an IDPA match at the club, the $10 fee is added to the match fee.

That seems logical, but I haven't found a reference to insurance benefits, yet.

https://explore.nra.org/progra...fits-of-affiliation/

posted Hide Post
    I was a member for decades . I got tired of the politics and waste so I let it expire a couple of years ago . I got a notice this week to join . $40 . Nah ..

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of creslin
    posted Hide Post
    They stopped calling me after I VERY blatantly told them about 3 times in a row that they wont get a single cent from me until Wayne is gone.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of MaSigchist
    posted Hide Post
    Not to divert the topic too much but I have shopped for insurance for a gun club several times and there are options that are less expensive and provide better coverage than what the NRA offers (Currently Lockton ?) without such restrictions.

I am a Life member, but will continue to refuse all NRA calls and won't give them another penny until I know it won't end up with Wayne. I do support my local State advocacy group (GOAL - Gun Owners Action League).

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
    http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
    -Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    -NRA Pistol Instructor
    -NRA Shotgun Instructor
    -NRA Range Safety Officer
    -NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
    -MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 908 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post