SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
Today I received a text from my son that he had a headache and went to the school nurse. In years past they would give the child ibuprofen and send them on their way. Not anymore. We're in "Covid" protocols now.

The nurse called me and said a headache is a symptom of Covid and that my son must go home for: either 10 days or until he shows a negative Covid test.

I was not real happy with the nurse and followed up with an email to the principal. My son, like many other people in this world, experience a headache from time to time. The principal sent a politically correct response back but I am still pissed. I told the principal my son has been vaccinated(not my choice but his) and tested negative for the 'vid less than a month ago but he still has to test negative again or wait 10 days to go back to school Mad

I am so over this bullshit and am seriously considering an online program for both of my boys now. I just need to find out if an online degree would carry as much weight as a general high school diploma.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
So, just drive by a CVS or Walgreens and get tested and wait 45min for the results and he goes back to school the next day?

Posts: 3074 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

So, just drive by a CVS or Walgreens and get tested and wait 45min for the results and he goes back to school the next day?

Yes, but I work 40 minutes from home. I leave at 5:30 am and home at 4:30 pm. On top of a very demanding job, I'm a full time college student, I have 2 teenage children, am a single parent and have chores in the house to do after dinner, school work, ect.

Why should I spend what little free time I have going to a drug store for a stupid test because my child had a HEADACHE?!?

And keep doing this stupid test EVERY time one of my children gets a headache? What about if they get a cold? A cough? Sniffles? Sneezing attack? Give me a break!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

Yes, but I work 40 minutes from home. I leave at 5:30 am and home at 4:30 pm. On top of a very demanding job, I'm a full time college student, I have 2 teenage children, am a single parent and have chores in the house to do after dinner, school work, ect.

Why should I spend what little free time I have going to a drug store for a stupid test because my child had a HEADACHE?!?

And keep doing this stupid test EVERY time one of my children gets a headache? What about if they get a cold? A cough? Sniffles? Sneezing attack? Give me a break!

at home tests are a thing now. try those.

Posts: 3074 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking for years!
Picture of Vegas_Sig
posted Hide Post
I had the same situation and was angry also because of how it impacted my busy schedule. Took my daughter to get tested (only symptom a headache) and she tested positive. My wife and other daughter tested positive a few days later. Both my wife and mother in law got very sick (my wife had recently recovered from breast cancer and did have a weakened immune system). Both of my daughters were sick but very minor...like a mild case of the flu.

In hindsight...I am of the opinion that the school made the right choice and it is standard policy here in Florida. Yes, I am also sick of the whole thing. Being a single parent must be damn hard. I felt like a single parent for a time and have the upmost respect for those that do it full time!

Dave
Not a Newbie! Posting on rare occasions, but lurking for years!

Posts: 585 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 15 yr. old granddaughter was sent home because of a headache. She tried to tell the nurse it’s her period. The nurse sent for her brother & sent him home also! Quarantined 10 days, both of them. Neither had any symptoms, no fever. Next day we had them tested at the hospital, checked out just fine.

I had 10 days of chores built up and we got ‘em done. Friggin’ fear has crippled people.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Today I received a text from my son that he had a headache and went to the school nurse. In years past they would give the child ibuprofen and send them on their way. Not anymore. We're in "Covid" protocols now.

The nurse called me and said a headache is a symptom of Covid and that my son must go home for: either 10 days or until he shows a negative Covid test.

I was not real happy with the nurse and followed up with an email to the principal. My son, like many other people in this world, experience a headache from time to time. The principal sent a politically correct response back but I am still pissed. I told the principal my son has been vaccinated(not my choice but his) and tested negative for the 'vid less than a month ago but he still has to test negative again or wait 10 days to go back to school Mad

I am so over this bullshit and am seriously considering an online program for both of my boys now. I just need to find out if an online degree would carry as much weight as a general high school diploma.

Yes, no difference. My daughter home schooled her last 3 years of high school. Her choice. 1400 on SAT's and acceptance at a wide selection of Universities. And she made it out of high school with some common sense intact.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Two words: Bull. Dozer.

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest getting both of your kids one of those tiny little aspirins or acetaminophen bottles with exactly 2 tablets within. The if they get a headache it's a simple walk to the bathroom with a stop at the water fountain.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We finally have a few lawyers in our area starting to bring the suits.

One case in Illinois had a similar situation. School sent child home, lawyer told parents to return child to school the next day. When the school refused to let him in the lawyer got an emergency injunction as the child has a Constitutional right (Illinois Constitution) to attend school, and absent an actual legal quarantine order signed by a judge, should be entitled to attend.

Where I'm at the school is "quarantining" students on health department letter head. The health department admits they aren't quarantining anybody, and the schools have no legal authority to do so themselves. A Missouri school can exclude a student that is "liable to transmit (such) disease after having been exposed to it".

The problem I see is that we have statistical data from our district and others in the area showing that the kids simply aren't spreading it in schools. Out of 1,400 students quarantined in our district, ZERO tested positive during that period. In a much larger district they have pegged that number at 25 students out of a body of over 18,000 which comes out to roughly 1/10th of 1%.

Needless to say, if 99.9% of them haven't caught it at school, I'd be hard pressed to define that as "liable to transmit" anything.

Raise hell. Start attending board meetings. Get other like minded people to do the same.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Two words: Bull. Dozer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I like your style Mr. Monkey. I was thinking the same thing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That really sucks, I am glad mine are out of school

The title brought back a memory

I was in 1st grade, mid 1970's, I had called home saying I had a headache. My Dad showed up, he said " you can stay here or come home and get an ass whoopin".

I was immediately cured Big Grin

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we better hurry up and get his false positive/negative back, so that we can continue to control the spread of this pathogen. People treading this hamster wheel either have cognition issues or are just plain terrified.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just shocked that kids go to the nurse because they have a headache. Is it illegal for them to have ibuprofen in their locker or backpack, especially if they get them regularly?

As much of a pain in the butt it is I think the school made the right choice in this instance. I guarantee if a kid goes to the nurse and gets an aspirin for a headache when they really have Covid and end up spreading it to all the classmates the other parents with busy schedules would be pissed that it's putting them in a tough spot that they don't have time for.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I would suggest getting both of your kids one of those tiny little aspirins or acetaminophen bottles with exactly 2 tablets within. The if they get a headache it's a simple walk to the bathroom with a stop at the water fountain.

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm just shocked that kids go to the nurse because they have a headache. Is it illegal for them to have ibuprofen in their locker or backpack, especially if they get them regularly?

While practical, in the current environment this is terrible advice. You haven't been in the school system in past two decades, have you?

Most (every?) schools have a zero-tolerance policy for drugs, weapons, etc. They specifically don't differentiate OTC/Rx/Illegal drugs, just any drug. Possession will result in suspension or worse expulsion. One that will be difficult to overturn given the policies.

Not saying it makes sense on any level, but it is a dangerous tact. Compound that with "kids are stupid" and someone may find out and rat them out.

Our schools used to allow us to have certain OTC drugs on hand with school nurse for them to administer in specific circumstances, but that won't help OP either since a headache is now a certain sign of a virus. Nuts.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12392 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My advice?

Get him the HELL out of the public school system right now.

Get him into:

Homeschool
Private School
Parochial School

Public schools are only going to get MORE stupid with all this stuff and it's never going away.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
We finally have a few lawyers in our area starting to bring the suits.

One case in Illinois had a similar situation. School sent child home, lawyer told parents to return child to school the next day. When the school refused to let him in the lawyer got an emergency injunction as the child has a Constitutional right (Illinois Constitution) to attend school, and absent an actual legal quarantine order signed by a judge, should be entitled to attend.

Where I'm at the school is "quarantining" students on health department letter head. The health department admits they aren't quarantining anybody, and the schools have no legal authority to do so themselves. A Missouri school can exclude a student that is "liable to transmit (such) disease after having been exposed to it".

The problem I see is that we have statistical data from our district and others in the area showing that the kids simply aren't spreading it in schools. Out of 1,400 students quarantined in our district, ZERO tested positive during that period. In a much larger district they have pegged that number at 25 students out of a body of over 18,000 which comes out to roughly 1/10th of 1%.

Needless to say, if 99.9% of them haven't caught it at school, I'd be hard pressed to define that as "liable to transmit" anything.

Raise hell. Start attending board meetings. Get other like minded people to do the same.

Follow the money.
In Indiana, if there is a bunch of absenteeism, the school loses money - once that came about, schools started laying the hammer on kids staying home. COVID has brought some changes - if a kid is 'quarantined', school still gets paid. So they can still get the money & not have to deal with Little Johnny. And the rate of quarantines staying high keeps this policy alive.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A headache is also a symptom of Naegleria fowleri.

Geez, not EVERYTHING is covid.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Oh, you expected a school administrator to act rationally and not like a petty bureaucrat more interested in protecting his job and the organization than in educating children.

But, to get him back to school quickest, go get a quickie COVID test.

If you want to raise hell, hire a lawyer and sue the school district. Make them show you the money.

If you want to go to jail, build a killdozer.

None are great options, I know. Pick among them as you see fit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post