SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Marzy, for something that I really did not need to know.
quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba", is a species of the genus Naegleria, belonging to the phylum Percolozoa, which is technically not classified as true amoeba, but a shapeshifting amoeboflagellate excavate. It is a free-living, bacteria-eating microorganism that can be pathogenic, causing an extremely rare sudden, severe and usually fatal brain infection

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V tail if you are interested there are many disgusting diseases.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened to my niece this week . Had a headache . Went to the office thinking they would give her Tylenol . Those days are over . Sent her home and told not to come back without a negative test .

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

V tail if you are interested there are many disgusting diseases.
The movies that they showed us in Navy boot camp in the 1950s, depicting STDs were great!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok Here is one. Necrotizing fasciitus of the genitalia. Just go to Google images. BTW it is a rare side effect of some of the newer diabetes drugs. This is much worse than a run of the mill STD.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

ok Here is one. Necrotizing fasciitus of the genitalia. Just go to Google images. BTW it is a rare side effect of some of the newer diabetes drugs. This is much worse than a run of the mill STD.
αρκετά

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Oh, you expected a school administrator to act rationally and not like a petty bureaucrat more interested in protecting his job and the organization than in educating children.

But, to get him back to school quickest, go get a quickie COVID test.

If you want to raise hell, hire a lawyer and sue the school district. Make them show you the money.

If you want to go to jail, build a killdozer.

None are great options, I know. Pick among them as you see fit.

If you build a bulldozer with no way to exit - you probably aren't going to jail. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm just shocked that kids go to the nurse because they have a headache. Is it illegal for them to have ibuprofen in their locker or backpack, especially if they get them regularly?

As much of a pain in the butt it is I think the school made the right choice in this instance. I guarantee if a kid goes to the nurse and gets an aspirin for a headache when they really have Covid and end up spreading it to all the classmates the other parents with busy schedules would be pissed that it's putting them in a tough spot that they don't have time for.

To your 1st question - yes, unfortunately. My 16 year old used to have frequent headaches and I had to leave ibuprofen with the nurse and a permission slip for her to give him the pills as he needed them. My son couldn't even bring the unopened bottle of ibuprofen to the nurse...I had to drop the bottle off myself Roll Eyes

Apparently we don't practice any common sense anymore. If a child has a headache and no other symptoms can we not be smart and say with reasonable certainty they just have a headache?

My ex will be coming over and administering a self test with my 15 year old tonight. What bullshit this is.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Dracunculus medinensis.

Posts: 18009 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I worked in education for 15 years.

Killdozer is the ONLY option here.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm just shocked that kids go to the nurse because they have a headache. Is it illegal for them to have ibuprofen in their locker or backpack, especially if they get them regularly?

As much of a pain in the butt it is I think the school made the right choice in this instance. I guarantee if a kid goes to the nurse and gets an aspirin for a headache when they really have Covid and end up spreading it to all the classmates the other parents with busy schedules would be pissed that it's putting them in a tough spot that they don't have time for.

To your 1st question - yes, unfortunately. My 16 year old used to have frequent headaches and I had to leave ibuprofen with the nurse and a permission slip for her to give him the pills as he needed them. My son couldn't even bring the unopened bottle of ibuprofen to the nurse...I had to drop the bottle off myself Roll Eyes

Apparently we don't practice any common sense anymore. If a child has a headache and no other symptoms can we not be smart and say with reasonable certainty they just have a headache?

My ex will be coming over and administering a self test with my 15 year old tonight. What bullshit this is.
At 16 years old you can't take Ibuprofen to school, what a joke. I was driving to school at 16.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Scooter 123 == you can forget letting you child take ANY kind or form of medication be it common over the counter or even doctor perscribed medication onto any school property here. Down here you would be lucky for a several day suspension or expulsun . Damned if you do and damned if you dont ........................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they pat kids down these days when they get to school? How would anybody know if you had a couple aspirin in your pocket?

Posts: 210 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You want to mess with the petty tyrants at your kid’s school? Let them know that your kid doesn’t have COVID, they have flu like symptoms, which are also a sign of Ebola, and until they get a negative Ebola test, they should assume everyone in the school potentially have Ebola.

Dipsticks.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
The most common symptom of covid is having no symptoms. Just to put things in a little perspective.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, you expected a school administrator to act rationally and not like a petty bureaucrat more interested in protecting his job and the organization than in educating children.

If you want to raise hell, hire a lawyer and sue the school district. Make them show you the money.

I agree, pick your battles and this isn't one of them.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd take option #4, put him in a private school.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our oldest daughter finished her last two years of high school on her own in Florida virtual school. When she asked for that route, I made it clear that her succes or otherwise was completely on her effort. We supported it but she did all the appointments & project scheduling, etc.

I did see the thought of diploma equivalency early in the thread for that route, in daughter's case after 'graduation' she went & sought GED exam to have some firm documentation.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1924 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There are places that won't hire someone with a GED.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Private school isn't in a lot of folks budget either, so we allowed her to make the choice while ensuring she knew GED bias was out there.

In the blue collar field I've been in my whole life military & civilian, GED has not been a show-stopper so far that I've seen.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1924 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post